Does the angle of a pendulum increase or decrease its swings per minute and what is the effect of the angle of release of the pendulum on it’s swings per minute? A pendulum is something hanging from a string or chain that when released, swings back and forth because of gravity ( “Academy Pendulums”). The swinging is caused by air resistance going in the opposite direction as the pendulum, making it go back and forth. A bob is the weight at the bottom of the pendulum. When a pendulum is released, it is pulled downward by gravity and accelerates 9.8 meters per second as it falls. When it swings upwards, it loses 9.8 meters per second. When a pendulum goes forward and then back again one time it is called an oscillation. An oscillation is when the mass (or the bob) completes one full back and forth cycle.
Galileo Galilei was the first scientist to recognize this phenomenon. He was observing a chandelier swinging from side to side, and measured the length of each swing using his pulse. In 1656, scientist Christian Huygens set Galileo's idea into motion by inventing a clock that is controlled by the movement of the pendulum. The movement of the pendulum accurately measured seconds. The pendulum is still used in certain kinds of clocks like grandfather clocks (“Britannica”).
If the angle at which the pendulum is released increases then the swings per minute will increase because the increase of the pendulum's falling location increases the amount of speed it gains while swinging. When using a metronome, if the stick is released at a greater angle, the ticks per minute increase because the speed at which it moves back and forth increases. This example shows how the angle at which a pendulum is released affects...
... middle of paper ...
...um's swings per minute was because angle changes things often. Besides from a pendulum, a change in angle usually results in a drastic change. For example, if a stick is standing up perpendicular to the ground, it is at a 90 degree angle. If said stick were to have been at a 80 degree angle it would have fallen over. This idea of a stick relates to the angle experiment because it shows how the release location of something should have a big part in its released results, but what was interesting was that in the case of the pendulum, the results do not change.
Pendulum Model. Medium.com. Digital Image. 1 Dec. 2017.
(-- removed HTML --)
“Pendulum” . Encyclopaedia Britannica. 24 Oct. 2016. 5 Dec. 2017.
(-- removed HTML --)
Academy Pendulums. Beynon, Zinaida. 1999. California Academy of Sciences. 21 Nov. 2017
(-- removed HTML --)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Effect of T-Period on the Pendulum Factors that affect the pendulum: ================================= § Length of string § Weight of ball § How far you pull it back - any slack in the string. [IMAGE] ======= Introduction ============ Newton discovered 3 laws of motion. They were: · Newton’s first law of Motion was “Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.” · Newton’s second law of Motion was “The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma.... [tags: Papers]
500 words (1.4 pages)
- The Effect Length Has on a Pendulum's Period Prediction: I predict that the shorter the length of string, the shorter the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one period. The longer the length of the string, the longer the time it will take to complete one period. Equipment needed for experiment: -Clamp -Stopwatch -Bob/Ball -Metre ruler -String Obtaining the results: I will be measuring the length of the string in 10s, so that I can obtain a wider range of results.... [tags: Papers]
507 words (1.4 pages)
- The Pit and the Pendulum could lead to many thoughts. However, I will cover three particular ones that caught my interest. I will elaborate of my thoughts of the main character’s view of the dark, judging characters as well as his descending into the “Hades” like place, the symbolism of the pendulum and the pit, and the character’s final, fatal fall into the pit. In the introduction to the story, the main character describes how he was sick and how he was unbound and then judged by the grim reaper-like characters.... [tags: Character Analysis]
669 words (1.9 pages)
- Introduction: I chose to investigate this topic out of pure curiosity to see how the length of a pendulum affects its period of motion. A pendulum is a suspended point of mass, hung from a fixed point on an inextensible cord. When it is pulled and released from one side of its equilibrium, at x°, the pendulum swings back and forth on a vertical plane under the influence of gravity (La Né Powers, 2006). The motion is periodic and oscillatory; I am determining the oscillation or otherwise known as the period of motion (Resnick & Malliday, 1977, pp.... [tags: History, Galileo]
1085 words (3.1 pages)
- Investigating the Time Period of a Pendulum The time period of a pendulum is the time taken for the pendulum to swing from one point to another point, for instance from point A to point B and back again. This diagram illustrates the experiment. This experiment calls for me to record this time period, however I feel it is too short, so I will time 20 time periods for accuracy. I will then take this number and divide it by 20 to give one accurate time period. When doing this experiment I will need to think of two independent variables: 1.... [tags: Papers]
566 words (1.6 pages)
- Using a Pendulum to Find Gravity Aim: To find the gravity by finding the period of the oscillations of a pendulum and plotting a graph. Hypothesis and Prediction: - the gravity from the graph is going to equal the gravity from the formula. Variables: The independent variable is the length of the string The Dependent variable is the period of one oscillation Controlled variables are: - mass of the pendulum Equipment: -Brass Ball -string -boss and clamp -stopwatch -2 metal blocks -Meter Ruler -Micrometer [IMAGE] -The diameter of the brass ball was measured using a micrometer.... [tags: Papers]
695 words (2 pages)
- The Simple Pendulum Experiment General Plan The first thing I am going to do is outline a general plan for this experiment. In this experiment, I am going to be measuring the effect of two variables on the time of one oscillation of a simple pendulum. The two variables that I have chosen are the length of the pendulum's string and the mass of the pendulum's bob. I will vary these two items and record results for the time of one oscillation of a pendulum with different mass/length of string.... [tags: Papers]
2064 words (5.9 pages)
- Pendulum Investigation Plan Aim To investigate how the length of a simple pendulum will affect the time for a full swing. Variables Length The length of the pendulum has a large effect on the time for a complete swing. As the pendulum gets longer the time increases. As the pendulum gets shorter the time decreases. Air resistance A big and light pendulum bobble would be affected by a major amount of air resistance. This might cause the pendulum to move in a different way.... [tags: Papers]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- The Pit and the Pendulum Everyone is scared of something, whether it be heights, clowns, or fear itself. Some people loathe being scared, while others relish the experience. Those who enjoy horror tend to seek it out through many sources, including movies and books. There exists a certain kind of book that is designed to strike fear into its readers, to keep them up at night. These books are known as horror stories. Many great writers in history have found their muse in the horror genre, one of them being Edgar Allan Poe.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, Horror fiction, Short story]
1168 words (3.3 pages)
- Pendulum Investigation Introduction In this investigation, I will try to attempt an experiment that will measure the time taken for a pendulum to oscillate for one complete swing; I will also explore and investigate the numerous variables that might effect the time taken to oscillate. Factors effecting periodic time =============================== The factors, which might affect the time taken for a pendulum to complete one swing, are: 1. The length of string 2.... [tags: Papers]
2453 words (7 pages)