These days’ social media is used widely among Americans. As many as seventy-four percent currently use some form of it, with the majority using Facebook. While most use these sites to catch up with friends and family, there are some who use it to commit crimes on those who over share. Everyday companies are hacked, homes are burglarized, and people bullied because of the status comments left for the public to see.
Everyday millions of friend requests are sent and accepted. Many times those requests are from an old friend, family member, colleague, or even a business acquaintance. With such a large amount of requests a day, many would logically be from individual that has no real connection and are just looking to find a weak point to exploit. In a report that Credit Sesame released, eighty percent of burglars use social media sites such as Facebook, twitter, and google street view to plan and execute robberies.
By posting a simple message on her Facebook page about going to see a band one evening, a woman named Keri McMullen lost over $...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cyber socializing is very popular among society today. It is one of the most popular ways of communicating with, says long distance relatives, but is cyber socializing really safe. These sites are used by all ages and around the world, and not always used for the right reasons. Some of the most popular websites are Facebook, twitter, and instgram. People put their lives on these sites. From pictures to every emotion or feeling they have. Not being aware of the danger the may put themselves in. There have been many cases of bullying among cyber socializing sites.... [tags: Dangers of Social Networking]
1182 words (3.4 pages)
- Social Networking Sites are one of the most common hobby or a way of communicating in the 21st century. It used to be one of the best ways to keep in touch with friends, families, or even make new friends. But nowadays there are numerous predators abusing Social Network Service to hunt down their victims and are influencing a way of communication skills. Thus, Social Network Sites is doing more harm than good in this generation especially to children. 10 years ago teenagers used SNS to interact, communicate, and upload their personal status to feel connected with others.... [tags: Social network service, Facebook, Communication]
836 words (2.4 pages)
- There are about one and a half billion users of social media worldwide. It can be used to meet new people, find old friends, chat the day away, join interest groups, or even to share pictures. Social networks were mostly created so people could meet and find new friends. What most users of social media don't know, are the dangers of using social media. One example is when you meet a person online, because they are not always who they say they are. If someone is not who you may think they are, who could they be.... [tags: victims, facebook, personal information]
1519 words (4.3 pages)
- The Internet can be a useful and wonderful environment filled with bountiful amounts of information and yet be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Social networking sites allow us to share our lives with family and friends that we are separated from or keep up with all the latest news from anyone on our friends list. Whether we share a glimpse of our day to day lives or the entire world is updated from moment to moment all depends on what we post to the walls of our favorite social networking sites.... [tags: MySpace, Internet, Phishing, Identity theft]
1689 words (4.8 pages)
- ... Many people use social media sites to misrepresent themselves; the popular television show Catfish centers around two men doing detective work to find the underlying cause of who the other person in an online relationship is. While social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, are popular methods for adults and teenagers to stay in touch, it has also attracted a dangerous audience (Haney). Pedophiles also use social media and texting to their advantage. A journalist for the Mountaineer, shares an interview with a local sheriff North Carolina, in which he states: If you let your kid have unsupervised access to Facebook, you are doing nothing different than if you took them and set the... [tags: social media risks]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- It’s fantastic being able to instantly connect to the internet from anywhere. You don’t even need an old-timey computer anymore; most mobile devices can surf the web. At a glance, this seems great. Instant internet available on small devices anywhere you go. Turns out, that instant accessibility isn’t so great, it’s transforming our minds and society for the worse. One day, I stumbled across a troubling picture on the internet. At a surface level, the picture is relatively harmless. It shows a happy family of five enjoying some drinks at Starbucks while using various computer products.... [tags: Downside of Internet, 2015]
3225 words (9.2 pages)
- Spring is finally here, and Spring Break and the Senior Prom are around corner. The teenagers and the college kids are planning a drive to the tanning salons or a day at the beach. The media has instilled in women that tan skin is a sign of youth and sex appeal. Some people go to the tanning salons and others spend hours outside in the sun to achieve the sun goddess look. Many don’t realize the dangers that come with the sun or a box with light bulbs that has more UVA radiation than the sun does.... [tags: Health ]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- “Social media Web sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, have become nearly inescapable facets of modern life, particularly for kids” (Gordon). With today’s society, children are growing up with social media. The age for children getting social media is decreasing rapidly. Although children have started using more and more websites, they aren’t always the best choice for them to use. Benefits of people using social sites vary from relieving stress to getting rid of shyness and anxiety. Also, some social media sites have some kind of educational benefits, and of course, it’s a way for people to connect and meet with others.... [tags: cyberbullying, sexting]
1875 words (5.4 pages)
- Social networking websites such as Twitter, Myspace or Facebook are becoming increasingly present in our society. Such systems allow people to communicate with each other, find old acquaintances, plan events or even share trip pictures. While teenagers have been using these services for more than ten years, a trend has been recently noticed where children younger and younger have been joining social networking websites. Under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA) in the United States of America, any website which will contain information about someone under 13 years of age must require parental consent before said child is allowed to utilize the website.... [tags: Social Networking, Child Welfare, Online Privacy]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Dangers of Driving While Texting At any given moment, one in five drivers around are texting on their phone while driving(Scholastic Action 2010). Cell phones have created a huge problem in America. Nearly 100 percent of vehicles have a cell phone in the car while driving, often times in arms reach. Crashes caused by distracted drives kill thousands of innocent people every year. In todays society Americans cannot go without a cell phone for several minutes. For instance in classes many students are on their phone before class starts.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
1193 words (3.4 pages)