Today, many use their cell phones for just about anything and everything including; texting, talking, and connecting with the rest of the world through social media. Cell phones have become a natural way of life to where Americans pick up their phones and use them like second nature. However, the dangers present themselves when many get behind the wheel of their cars and carry the habits of cell phone addictions with them. If all states ban the use of cell phones while driving, then there would be a reduction in the number of fatalities each year.
Texting and driving according to the National Safety Council, is responsible for 1.6 million accidents per year and 11 teen deaths every day according to the Ins. Institute for Highway Safety Administration. Young drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 have admitted to texting or talking on the phone at the time of an accident. While overall, 34 percent admitted to texting while driving and 52 percent admitted to talking on the phone while driving (Marino, 2012). A few seconds is all it takes to end your life or the life of someone else. On the road, Americans hold their lives and the lives of other drivers at risk simply because they are anxious to check Instagram or Facebook to see how many likes their pictures got or what comments their friends have left or to see what plans they have for the night.
Many would agree that they are able to multitask while driving, including; answering calls, checking social media, texting, taking selfies and the list goes on. Although, many have the perception that they are able to multi-task while driving, however the proof is in the statistics. These are tasks that can be addressed...
... middle of paper ...
...ng them an automated message saying, “Sorry I can’t take your call right now, I’m driving” or an app that parents can be utilized that will cut off teen’s cell phone service while driving. Sprint and AT&T are two of the cell phone providers that offer anti-texting apps (Professional Safety, 2013).
While cell phones are a huge benefit for communication and can make life easier. Americans seem to forget that distracted driving affects the lives of many daily and can be a life or death situation. The verdict is still out on whether there should be stricter laws and more consequences for repeat offenders. If all states ban the use of cell phones while driving, then there would be a reduction in the number of fatalities each year. Keep our roadways safe by just putting down your cell phones down and focus on safer driving.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dangers of Texting and Using Cell Phones While Driving The use of cell phones while driving has become more popular among drivers over the past ten years. Furthermore, Kiernan Hopkins states, People who text while driving tend to stray from their lanes into other lanes, other cars and even off the road altogether (paragraph 4): thus creating a danger to all who drive. Think about how often you see vehicles driving really slow on the freeways as you pass them you see them looking at their phone not paying attention to the road.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Automobile]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- If you are driving at 55mph for 5 seconds in that amount of time you could cross a football field. People don’t understand how dangerous distracted driving really is. All states should have some sort of legal parameters of what happens when you get caught using your cell phone while driving. People should get a stronger/ harsher punishment for the use of a cellular device while driving. People are way more impaired when you are distracted and driving than you are drinking and driving. The problem with this is that so many people do it and it is so unbearable hearing so many stories of how many people die every year because they make the mistake.... [tags: laws, death, driving, cell phones]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- Cell phones are a remarkable piece of technology, and they’re used all over the world and for communicating with one another. Millions of people use them for either personal or business. Cell phones started booming in the late 80’s and have sky rocketed since then with their cool sleek designs, stylish colors, and the capability of using the internet. Cell phones started out with Motorola first and now have many carriers that provides cell phone service. Cell phones are great to have but not using them correctly could be dangerous.... [tags: Cell Phones]
511 words (1.5 pages)
- Texting while driving is a widespread epidemic in the United States that has unfavorable effects on our society.“Driving while texting is the standard wording used for traffic violations” (Bernstein). It causes many people to be distracted which can lead to accidents. “Eighty-nine percent of people own a cell phone” (Gardner). That is a plethora of people that are at risk of texting while driving. Also, texting has increased by ten times in three years(Bernstein). “The risk of a crash for those who are texting is twenty-three point two times greater than those who are not” (Gardner).Driving drunk only makes a person seven times more likely to be in a crash (Bernstein).... [tags: distracted driving]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- Many find that banning the entire use of the cell phone while driving ridiculous though, and say that it impedes upon their civil rights as U.S. citizens. They also say that talking on the cell phone while driving is just the same as having a conversation with a passenger in their car and that the government will not ban people from having passengers in their cars so why should they ban talking on cell phones while driving. They also state that just because the laws are there it doesn’t prove anyone will follow them so why put them in place and stated that certain laws were put into place to prohibit driving while intoxicated and mandatory use of seatbelts while driving and yet, many do not... [tags: Driving Safety]
635 words (1.8 pages)
- Imagine, you are late for work and you have to be there as soon as possible. You do not have time to use the house phone to call work, so you get in your car and while you are driving down the road, you use your cell phone to call your boss. You look down for exactly 5 seconds, and you never look up again. Now tell me, are cell phones dangerous. Not only can cell phones be dangerous on the road, they are dangerous off the road. Many people do not understand how harmful they can be, which is what I am here to tell you.... [tags: texting, accidents, teenagers, harmful]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Nearly 1.6 million accidents happen annually because of cell phones. Cell phones can be a major danger to anyone who is using them. People do not realize that they are not only putting their own lives in danger, but they are putting others at risk also. When people are driving they tend to take their eyes off the road, which can cause a distraction and eventually lead to accidents. Cell phones can cause hearing loss. There are many solutions on how to solve texting and driving. Cell phones play a dangerous role in today’s world because they are a major distraction to people who are driving, they cause health problems, however there are solutions to these problems.... [tags: texting and driving, hearing loss]
595 words (1.7 pages)
- Cell Phones While Driving People are distracted enough as it is without have their cell phones attached to their ears while driving. The topic of using a cell phone while driving has been debated for many years, because there are two types of people with two different opinions. On one hand people have things that require their attention at all times, and on the other people cannot give their full attention to the road and fellow motorists if they are using their cell phone while driving. First of all, there are times when a person is driving and an important matter may require their attention.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Automobile, Police]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- Most people don’t abide by the rules and regulations of the road. Most people don’t even know that they are breaking the law because they do it so often. Talking on the cell phone and driving has become a very popular thing these days. Technology is coming out with the newest phones that can do everything for you and people are attracted to that. There are people that don’t have hands free and drive their car with only one hand, people that text and totally take their eye off the road and type conversations to each other.... [tags: Distracted Driving Argument Cell Phone]
1037 words (3 pages)
- As Americans we love our cars, trucks, SUVs, and motorbikes for many different reasons. One major reason is that they are an easy and convenient mobility; a personal mode of transportation. It is rather hard to imagine what this county would be like without all the roads and vehicles on them. This is abundantly evident in Arizona, where the majority of us drive to most all of our activities from going to work or taking the kids for an ice cream. We jump into our vehicle and go. However, a curious thing often happens when we get in our car, truck and SUVs.... [tags: Driving Safety]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Analysis Of The Article ' Let 's Really Reform Our Schools ' By Anita Garland
- Doctors And Medical Treatments Of The Elizabethan Era
- Illegal Immigrants Should Not Be Aided By The Government
- Death Penalty : How Society 's Perception Affects The Amount Of Executions
- Gender Roles Of The Hollywood Film Directors Have Implemented Latino Women
- The Effects Of Air Pollution On The People 's Republic Of China