IoT is connecting millions of devices with each other on the network. The connection is no doubt providing the real-time data and keeping the world on the move, but the constant connectivity at all times is increasing the risk of cyber threats as well. The vulnerability of the IoT devices to the threats cannot be undermined. From the kitchen to the automotive to healthcare data to any other personal data – everything is stored and is vulnerable. Not just personal IoT device data, but the industrial data is also at risk for cyber threats.
According to IOActive IoT Security Survey conducted in March 2016, about 47% of all the respondents felt that less than 10% of all IoT products on the market are designed with adequate security. About 85% believe that less than half of the IoT products are secure. Major survey population believes that a lot more is required to improve the security of IoT devices. The survey showed that 72% of respondents believe security is not adequately designed into products is the single biggest challenge facing IoT security. A majority of other professionals surveyed also felt that uneducated users and user error (63%) and data privacy (59%) were also challenges to IoT.
The IoT technology involves communication between sensor devices. The devices collect information and transmits it over the network. More and more sensitive data is being shared by devices, which can lead to a situation where data is compromised. For example, if one alarm system is connected to all the devices internally for the convenience of the person, then a hacker can gain access to other devices by gaining access to just one device, thereby compromising the security of all. Thus, a smart home can be hacked easily an...
... middle of paper ...
These are some of the ways to prevent cyber attacks. Though, with the technology advances, cyber criminals are also advancing and devising new ways to hack into the systems, it is always a good practice to be prepared for such attacks and take precautions into measure.
Internet of Things is changing the way of living, developing and thinking. It is not just changing industrial aspects, but its also changing the personal space. It is creating new opportunities in all the sectors and domains. With the integration of IoT, cloud infrastructure, mobile devices etc, security must be taken into account as the utmost priority. The devices must be self-sufficient and secure. The cost in security should be taken as investment since it’s minimizing the exposure to cyber attacks. Thus, security of the new technology holds the key to the emergence of technology.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- CYBER RISK FOR IoT IoT is connecting millions of devices with each other on the network. The connection is no doubt providing the real-time data and keeping the world on the move, but the constant connectivity at all times is increasing the risk of cyber threats as well. The vulnerability of the IoT devices to the threats cannot be undermined. From the kitchen to the automotive to healthcare data to any other personal data – everything is stored and is vulnerable. Not just personal IoT device data, but the industrial data is also at risk for cyber threats.... [tags: Computer security, Security, Identity theft]
1099 words (3.1 pages)
- Society has become ever-increasingly dependent upon technology, more specifically, computers to conduct personal and business transactions and communications. Consequently, criminals have targeted these systems to conduct information and cyber warfare, which can include politically motivated attacks and to profit through ill-gotten means. In an article written by Koblentz and Mazanec (2013), cyber warfare is the act of disabling an enemy’s ability to use or obtain information, degrade its ability to make decisions, and to command its military forces.... [tags: Cyber, warfare, E-commerce]
1833 words (5.2 pages)
- Cyber Bullying in its various forms is one of the fastest developing problems that many youths have to face daily. Cyber bullies tend to be motivated by several different things, from anger at their victims, to jealousy; to personal problems in their lives. Some cyber bullies attack victims for entertainment purposes or to feel some form of power. With so many aspects of technology at any given bully 's disposal, cyber bullying is neither difficult nor uncommon. The foundation of cyber bullying can be primarily divided into two characteristics, personal and social.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Cyber-bullying, Humiliation]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Bullying has been an childhood problem for many and has been recognized as a serious issue. Campbell (2005) quotes Peterson (2001) stating that bullying is “the abusive treatment of a person by means of force or coercion” (qtd. in Campbell, 2005). Bullying is hurtful and can happen for no reason. It is a quick fix to make the bully feel satisfied and assert power (Campbell 2005). Cyber bullying is just one form of bullying and involves many different methods of harassing an individual. Use of the Internet via websites such as Facebook and Twitter along with both instant messaging on computers and text messaging on cell phones, allows a bully to target a victim with the use of anonymity.... [tags: Cyber Bullying Essays]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Breaches and Security Implications by Penetration of the Western Interconnection’s Traffic Control System and its Effects on Modern Day Life Year after year, a number of films are released involving computer hacking of some sort along with cyber-villainy. As entertaining as they are, the validity of these possibilities is not explored. Many of these films center revolve around a chaotic vehicle-related scene where a form of the government’s transportation grid is compromised. The breach typically involves traffic control.... [tags: Cyber Terrorism, Cyber Terrorists]
3307 words (9.4 pages)
- Businesses and people are using Internet for entertainment, e-business and e-commerce, social networking, and communication to the people and business, but there have always been threats to the Internet Security. Internet security is major concern in field of technology, because there are various personal, business and government data on the Internet. Today every businesses and organizations have their own security systems to reach their goals of information security. Internet security systems are created to reduce cyber attack risks, reliability, maintain confidentiality, and compliance with privacy laws and national security laws.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Internet]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- During the last few years the use of social networking has grown exponentially in the world. Social networking has many different purposes including interpersonal connection, education, research and business. Users include all sectors of the population, from young teenagers to the elderly, in all socioeconomic groups. According to government statistics, there are more than 500 million users on Facebook, 175 million on Twitter, and more than 100 million on MySpace. (McDowell 1) Although social networking can be very beneficial in many ways; it can also be very dangerous.... [tags: Facebook, Twitter, Online]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- According to Technopedia, a Cyber warrior is somebody who engages in cyber warfare. This could be for personal reasons or out of religious or patriotic beliefs. (Hub Pages, 2015) Cyber-warriors, depending on their roles, come in different forms. They all deal with information security in one way or another. Cyber warriors battle in the front line of computer security either by attacking or defending other systems. In modern days, cyber warriors can use social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter as cyber weapons.... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Web 2.0]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- The Impact of Mobile Devices on Cyber security: The modern society including corporate environments has been characterized by the proliferation of mobile devices. The increased use of these devices is attributed to the significant opportunities they bring and their contribution towards enhanced communication. However, the increased use of mobile devices has been accompanied by considerable concerns regarding the privacy of personal information and sensitive corporate data that are stored on them.... [tags: data, hackers, carelessness]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Social Networking has taken bullying to the extreme. Before advanced technology, children and teenagers were troubled by school bullies. Today, they are targeted by bullies via internet. Most people undergo some form of bullying in life. Growing up, I experienced the typical name calling and spiteful comments. I also dealt with minor cases of virtual bullies. These bullies are known as cyber bullies. I find this topic compelling because it’s a matter that has spiraled out of control. “Cyber bullying is defined as using the computer or other electronic devices to intimidate, threaten or humiliate another individual,” Admin October 13th, 2008.... [tags: Internet Crime, Cyberbullying ]
1105 words (3.2 pages)