Woods are categorized as being either softwoods or hardwoods. Softwoods are generally from coniferous trees and hardwoods from broad-leaved trees, which are frequently angiosperms from dicot seeds. Hardwoods, unlike softwoods, display the presence of pores in growth rings. Four common hardwoods used in building include poplar, aspen, red oak, and red maple. Poplar has a fine-grained structure and has a specific gravity (ratio of density to that of water) of 25%. Aspen, another hardwood in the same genus as poplar, also has a specific gravity of 25%. Red oak is a highly porous wood and has a specific density of 75%. Lastly, red maple has a specific gravity of about 50% (Walker,...
... middle of paper ...
...., n.d. Web. 21 December 2013.
2. Dasch, E. Julius. Water: Science and Issues (Vol. 4). New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 2003. Print.
3. Eckelman, C. A. “Wood Moisture Calculations.” Purdue University. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 December 2013.
4. “Latex Paint.” American Coatings Association. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 December 2013.
5. Noorolahi, Sara, Javad Khazaei, and Sahebeh Jafari. “Modeling Cyclic Water Absorption and Desorption Characteristics of Three Varieties of Wood.” Cabi. N.p., 2008. Web. 20 December 2013.
6. Sivertsen, Mari Sand. “Water Absorption in Coated Wood- Influence of Different Wood Types and Coatings.” Nordic Forest Research. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 December 2013.
7. Walker, Aidan. The Encyclopedia of Wood. London: Quarto Publishing, 2005. Print.
8. “Wood and Water.” University of Illinois. N.p., 18 July 2006. Web. 20 December 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The difference between flame and furnace spectroscopy is in the atomization of the sample; because the Flame Spectroscopy uses pressure to atomize the compound, much of the compound is lost when sprayed out of the nozzle or condenses while still in the tube; leading to a diluted sample which can easily be obscured by other elements including the gases powering the flames. The graphite furnace would be used when there was a solid compound that needs to be analyzed without breaking it down into a solution, using this method will yield much more accurate results than the flame spectroscopy since the sample will not be diluted or obscured, however the sample used in the furnace method will b... [tags: Spectroscopy, Chemistry, Absorption spectroscopy]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- correlation coefficient. Unit 3. The Pearson product moment correlation is the most frequently utilized measure of relationships (Salkind, 2012). The symbol for this relationship is the letter r which represents the variables being correlated. Furthermore, the symbol rxy characterizes a correlation between two variables, X and Y. When computing a correlation, one requires a pair of scores, for example, reading scores and math scores for each group the researcher is working with. In the case of computing the correlation between the hours a group studies and test scores, one should measure the number of hours spent and the results of test for each individual.... [tags: Pearson product-moment correlation coefficient]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- Sound Absorption Coefficient March 31 2015 To investigate the frequencies (200 Hz – 6300 Hz) dependence of the sound absorption co-efficient for Porous absorber material sample and Hardboard (helmholz absorber) in front of Porous sample using Standing Wave tube for absorption coefficient. Laboratory Experiment Page of content: Sound Absorption Coefficient I am writing to provide a review and report on Sound Absorption Coefficient Laboratory Experiment. Background, Relevance and Aim: Sound waves are produced by continuous vibration which can travel through the air or any other medium, sound can be heard when reach human ear or any other sound receiver, sound is form of energy and the... [tags: Sound, Acoustics, Frequency]
3201 words (9.1 pages)
- Beneath the Surface Review I think the key message that the play was trying to convey was that mistakes happen all the time. In this case, the purpose of the main character’s “dig” through Earth was to help him learn how to forgive himself and be able to move on with his life. The opening act of the play started with the main character, Andy, digging his way from Hawaii to Botswana. Over the course of his journey, the audience is introduced to an array of characters that are responsible in helping Andy find his inner peace.... [tags: Beneath Surface Play Review Analysis]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- ... Three dimensional response surface and contour plots offer graphically the significance of regression equations and presenting minima and maxima. Different colour regions demonstrate the variation in values. ANOVA test reveals that only the effect of X1 and X2 are significant. The following equation shows the relationship between dependent variables with percentage of DEX released after 1 min (Y1): Y_1=24.263 +1.560 X_1+0.766 X_2+1.489 (6) All ODTs released over 90% drug at the end of 10 min (figure 2).... [tags: Regression analysis, Statistics]
715 words (2 pages)
- ... Mr. Rushin learned the entire supply chain process of the castings that flowed through his finishing process and identified additional services that High Tech Coatings could offer. They expanded their services to include sandblasting, machining, printing and assembly, which were all services performed on the castings they were handling either before or after the finishing process by other subcontractors. Expanding in these areas provided cost savings opportunities for current customers by reducing transportation between various subcontractors, attracted new customers seeking the added services and propelled the company into a period of significant growth.... [tags: Management, Design, Employment, Quality control]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Introduction Our design project is over anti-finger smudge technology. This technology has been a major subject of research with the advent of hand-held, touch screen devices such as phones and tablets. Anyone who has held a mobile phone or handheld game knows that in a short period of time, the glass display becomes visibly dirty without anti-smudge coatings. Unwanted finger print smudges on touch screen surfaces significantly reduces the performance and utility of the device, as well as the quality of the image and the enjoyment of the user.... [tags: Oleophobic Coating]
1522 words (4.3 pages)
- The Absorption Spectrum of Chlorophyll Water + carbon dioxide â†’ glucose + oxygen 6H2O + 6CO2 â†’ C6H12O6 + 6O2 Absorption Spectrum An absorption spectrum shows which wavelength of light a molecule absorbs. Action Spectrum An action spectrum shows the effect of each wavelength of light on the rate of photosynthesis The absorption spectrum of chlorophyll is very similar to the action spectrum of photosynthesis. This is evidence that chlorophyll absorbs light for photosynthesis.... [tags: Papers]
4614 words (13.2 pages)
- As an atmospheric parameter, air temperature plays an important role in providing energy for plants during their phonological stages. Soil surface temperature affects plants chemical reactions which is an important factor in its nutrient absorption. Therefore soil surface temperature is an essential parameter in the quality and quantity of agricultural products. Advances in artificial intelligence and their applications in every branch of science, provide us with tools to calculate and predict climatology parameters more accurately.... [tags: porducts, moisture, air, sunny]
1207 words (3.4 pages)
- The Absorption of Dada Dada and Surrealism are two similar forms of art, not in appearance, but in the subject matter, and the role of the viewer. The Quote ”Dada became absorbed into Surrealism which then became the Dadaism of the successful.” is a statement of truth. Dada was developed in Switzerland, just after the Great War, now known as World War One. It was a cry against reason and logic. The people were misled by the government, science and art. If everything that was supposes to be good and logical was demolished by the insanity of war.... [tags: Essays Papers]
341 words (1 pages)