Conjugal visits are often considered to be a synonym for sex; however, this is not always true. Married couples have natural rights to marriage and these are called conjugal rights. Conjugal rights enable married couples to enjoy associating with one another, sympathizing together, confiding together, creating domestic happiness, sharing a home together, preparing meals together, and having intimacies with one another (Wright, n.d.). There are currently five states in the Unites States in which conjugal visits are allowed. These states are California, New Mexico, New York, Mississippi, and Washington (Thompson, 2008). In California, same sex conjugal visits are also permitted (“California Prisons Getting in Line with 2005 Law“, 2007). The privilege of conjugal visits in these states has shown to be effective. Inmates are showing good behavior because they know that they will be rewarded with something that is impor...
... middle of paper ...
...his demonstration of good behavior will be a big help in keeping the inmate connected to family and navigating back into society without a problem. Everybody deserves a second chance at making a better life for themselves and an inmate should not be thought of any different.
California Prisons Getting in Line with 2005 Law. (2007). Retrieved April 11, 2010, from http://www.associatedcontent.com
Odom, B. (2009). Three Common Prison Debate Questions. Retrieved April 12, 2010, from http://www.associatedcontent.com
Parker, R. (2009). Most Criminals Return To Crime After Prison . Retrieved April 12, 2010, from http://www.parapundit.com
Thompson, S. (2008). . Retrieved April 12, 2010, from http://www.associatedcontent.com
Wright, K. (n.d.). Conjugal Visitation: A U.S. Perspective. Retrieved April 12, 2010, from http://www.fcnetwork.org /conjugal.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Prisons are meant to help rehabilitate the way of life for people who have committed crimes. However, the criminal justice system has not proved to be as effective as it should be. Two thirds of people who come out of prison are rearrested within three years (Parker, 2009). I believe this is because the justice system has failed and individuals are not receiving the services for a successful transition into the community. Instead, they remain as criminals. I strongly believe that allowing inmates the right to conjugal visits will help ensure a criminal is rehabilitated and ready to re-enter society.... [tags: Criminal Justice]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- A conjugal visit for an inmate allows for family members to have an extended private visit with the inmate. Many times this visit is just the legal spouse of the inmate and the couple may engage in sexual activity if they so choose. All information in this paper will focus on the idea of conjugal visitation with a legal spouse for the purpose of sexual activity between the inmate and the spouse while confined to a penal institution within the United States. Inmates have gotten creative in their petitions to the courts; while they are persistent in claiming violations of their First, Eighth, and Fourteenth Amendment rights, the inmates have not been successful in obtaining the opinion of the... [tags: United States Constitution]
1231 words (3.5 pages)
- “Is it always a betrayal to talk about your husband with another man. What about girlfriends or astrologists?” (Dormen). In modern society, people’s feelings and desires are limited by rules of law and morality, especially when they relate to marriage and conjugal relationships. In The Storm, Kate Chopin raised a moral issue of adultery between characters of the short novel-Calixta and Alcee. She discussed the questions based on the metaphor of storm and the lack of passion in Calixta and Bobinot’s marriage.... [tags: Literary Analysis]
2363 words (6.8 pages)
- Introduction: The study I will be conducting is based on uncertainty; the uncertainty individuals have on whether they should visit the doctor even when they know they should. There have been previous studies on this similar topic. For instance, there was a study conducted on a longitudinal Web- based survey that assessed participants’ level of relational uncertainty, degree of intimacy, and the openness of communication about relational uncertainty. In selecting a time frame of 6 weeks, they were informed by previous longitudinal and retrospective studies of relationship development (Theiss & Solomon 2008).... [tags: Relational Uncertainty, Degree of Intimacy]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- Adopting. As the benefits of video visits are numerous, there should be efforts on the part of healthcare industry to provide it to their patients. As suggested previously in the article; healthcare providers to demonstrate the benefits of video visits to the community can initiate workshops and pilot projects. Not all pilot projects started become successful. Nevertheless, if the general population can be made aware of the advantages, this technology has to offer then this innovation can be sustained in the end.... [tags: Health care provider, Patient, Health care]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- What I learned from the Visits Every school has challenging for the children to achieve their own potential. What is best for the students. The Head Start and Fair Elementary School in Louisville educate their students about value and use of statistics in a contemporary and dynamic matter. They allow every student chance in everyday learning to achieve high standards goals. They learned their student to absorbent mind, prepared environment, use a didactic material, and practice activities. They allow their student to become independence, observation, and hand-on experience.... [tags: Education, Educational psychology]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- What I have learned from the school visits is that no two schools will ever be the same. There can be similarities between schools, but due to technology, size, diversity, and other factors, no schools will be exactly the same. This is something very important that I learned in each of our school visits this semester. It is vital for teachers to have balance of freedom and equality in the classroom. Students need to have the freedom to make their own decisions, but that can not cause conflict in having an equal environment.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Middle school, High school]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
- Vaccinations Vaccinations are used ubiquitously in the United States and have become an integrated and routine part of pediatric doctor visits. They are an integral part of ensuring community health by preventing the spread of disease. There has been much controversy about vaccines in regards to the role of the of government, economics, epidemiology of disease, and public health in the development and the assimilation of vaccines into society. Vaccines provide a valuable protection to not only ourselves from disease, but society as well.... [tags: Immune system, Vaccination, Infectious disease]
1686 words (4.8 pages)
- Though it has been argued that home visits can be intrusive, time consuming and expensive, they can be a useful way of creating connections between home and school and enhance parent involvement in their child’s education. Research has shown that when families and schools collaboratively participate in their child’s education, children perform better academically. (Allen & Tracey, 2004, p197-208) During the initial home visit practitioners can begin to build relationships with the child and her family, learn about child A’s interests and needs and then use this information to plan appropriate experiences.... [tags: Psychology, Attachment theory, Observation]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- The Ghost of Richard III Visits William Shakespeare I was sitting at my desk in my candle-lit room, a gentle breeze made the candle flicker and a chill ran down my spine. I remember having a strange feeling, as if there was another spirit present, it is hard to explain, but it was nothing like I had ever felt before. The breeze was making me shiver and it was getting colder as time passed, I picked up my lantern and walked across to the window and pulled it to, but still left it slightly ajar, I liked the feel of the air, but today it did not feel the same.... [tags: Papers]
651 words (1.9 pages)