Essay PreviewMore ↓
Data input is the collection of raw data that is used to find needed information. Data input is an important part of any business, but different businesses have different needs when it comes to input devices. Some common business needs and the best data input solution to solve them are listed below:
Printed questionnaires- An optical mark recognizer (OCR) would be best because it will read the answers chosen by the participant and turn it in to digital data.
Telephone survey- A voice recognition device would be the best solution because it would allow the telephone survey answers to be converted for digital use.
Bank checks- A magnetic ink character recognition device (MICR) is the best answer for banks because it was developed by banks to read a special magnetic ink with pertinent data to be converted in to digital information (Stair & Reynolds, 2006).
Retail tags- For retail tags, bar code scanners allow for keeping track of inventory and for pricing and labeling.
Long documents- Optical data readers are the best bet for allowing long documents to be scanned into digital data.
Once a company has the input they need in digital form, they must have a tool that allows them to create high quality output of the information gathered. There are many output devices, but it is important to have the correct one for the job. Listed below are some examples of output and the best way to get it:
Hand held computer- The best way to get output from a hand held is through the built in liquid crystal display (LCD) since there are no other built in output features.
Color photograph- A color photo should be printed on a high resolution photo printer, or if it is a very large photo, a color plotter would be a good option.
Resume- Since most resumes are printed at home, a personal ink jet printer is the way to go.
How to Cite this Page
"Computer Hardware." 123HelpMe.com. 17 Jun 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. Computer hardware is the physical pieces of a computer. It’s the equipment that makes up the computer. 2. A piece of computer hardware is a mouse. A mouse is a pointer for your screen. Clicking the left button, right button, or scrolling with the wheel performs different actions on your screen/with your software. 3. The CPU is the central processing part of your computer; the processor performs the instructions given from programs. 4. The system unit is the outside case of your computer. It holds the CPU and other circuitry/components that run your computer.... [tags: Computer program, Computer, Computer software]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Thinking about how you want to live the rest of your life and how much money you want to make to sustain the lifestyle you want to live is also a big thing to consider. Sometimes people can enjoy their job and don’t care even if they didn’t get paid, but others have jobs that pay a lot so that they can live the lifestyle they want to live. Thinking about if you will do anything past that current status the person will have in the field is another thing to think about. If someone applies for a job that they like but feel like they will want more later on, they need to make sure that they have the qualifications to advance in that career or workplace.... [tags: software engineers, chips, design hardware]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction The word ‘computer’ nowadays is very famous among all of us. Almost each and every one of us owned their own personal computer. In fact, a portable personal computer or also known as laptop was introduced the world by Adam Osborne in1981. Most people prefer to use laptop because it is so easy to carry anywhere you go. As the laptop getting famous throughout the years, they try to make it as convenient as they can. Like example, laptop from the past was quite heavy and big. Ever since then, they made it even slimmer, lighter and even smaller.... [tags: personal computer, printer, mouse]
764 words (2.2 pages)
- I can start with a quote about people What is Vulnerability. When you think of the word vulnerability what comes to mind. Although, definitions of Vulnerability may vary, Hoffmaster defines the term as not contemporary morality but simply to be impressionable to all things considered to be a weakness. In the cyberworld vulnerability can be defined as weakness in a computer hardware or software that can be exploited. Most would considered vulnerability as a threat is the approach in which a vulnerability can be exploited.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Information security]
1403 words (4 pages)
- Computer and Internet Technology Computer Hardware A report for Geoff Wingfield By Joseph Key 9th December 2014 Contents 1.0 Introduction 3 2.0 Why Copper Tracks (Busses) Are Ultimately Limited In How Much Data Can Be Delivered By Them Per Second 3 2.1 Why Devices Such As Microprocessors Get Hot And Why The Heat Increases With Higher Clock Rates 3 2.2 Cost Of A PC Running 3 3.0 Describe How The Latest Technology Is Used To Optimise Its Operation For Speed 4 4.0 Cost Of Building A New PC Versus Buying A New Ready Built PC 4 5.0 Computer Benchmarking 4 6.0 How The Telephone System And The Internet Infrastructure Collectively Form The Basis Of The World Wide Web 4 7.0 Conclusion... [tags: Personal computer, Computer]
2812 words (8 pages)
- Grant Herod Chandonia Engineering 1st 4/10/14 Computer hardware, it’s a fascinating topic if you think about it, a simple combination of complex metals all working together in perfect sequence to create a unique one of a kind experience. But this kind of innovation and intricacy does not just simply happen, it takes a special kind of professional to create, maintain, and innovate in this field of engineering. A computer hardware engineer is a type of engineer that specializes in electronic systems, robotics, and computer hardware.... [tags: Job Components, Requirements]
947 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Despite the vigorous work and seemingly endless training, computer hardware engineering does have its perks. The benefits, such as payment and travel opportunities, are a part of what make this career likable and worthy of pursuing. One of the benefits of this career is the wage. Annual salaries can range between $51,190 and $125,800, depending on a person's education, experience, employer, and geographical location ("Computer Hardware Engineer" Ferguson Career Guidance Center). Research shows that computer hardware engineers make one hundred twenty-six percent more than the average American.... [tags: professional choices, careers]
1443 words (4.1 pages)
- System Elements Hardware In order to create a successful project, all areas of the integration proposal must be address and researched thoroughly in order to ensure all areas of the project have been investigated before integration. Of the most important areas, the hardware layer can be that of confusion as well as a success. Investigating what the system proposal is attempting to accomplish will provide a baseline as to what hardware will be needed to ensure the system is successful. This section will outline the hardware portion of a system development as well as describe the uses of common hardware in a successful system.... [tags: Computer Hardware]
1246 words (3.6 pages)
- It seems that in today's world nothing can be done without a computer, but upon a closer look, you will find that it is the hardware components and input and output devices that make a computer useful. What is it that determines the speed at which a computer can find a file. How do you get a report from your PC to the members of your next Board meeting. It is the hardware that is used with your computer that allows you to accomplish all of your business needs using your computer. Data input is the collection of raw data that is used to find needed information.... [tags: Technology Computers Papers]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- Report and Bibliography Electronic-mail or Email is the process of sending messages electronically using your computer. You can send messages when it is convenient for you - even at 2 am. Your recipient responds at his convenience. Email can be sent anywhere in the world using your computer and a modem. Email is almost instant in its delivery and it is very cheap to use especially for international messages, costing only the price of the telephone connection to the Internet Service Provider. You may send many messages at one time or just one to a designated location.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
3338 words (9.5 pages)
Memorandum- A laser jet printer would be the output device of choice because it allows greater maximum printed pages per minute.
Statistical report- A color laser jet will print out high quality graphs and charts quickly and efficiently.
Company annual report- Again, a color laser jet allows for fast printing of large documents and allows for great quality color charts and graphs.
Most people believe that storage is storage, but that is incorrect. There are two types of storage that computers use. The first type is primary storage. Primary storage is a storage location that holds program instructions for short periods of time (Stair & Reynolds, 2006). It is located within close proximity of the Central Processing Unit to decrease access time. The second type of storage is called secondary storage. Secondary storage is used for data that is needed, but may not be used often enough or may be too large to store in primary storage.
Within the two types of storage there are many different types of devices. Each is suited to be used for a specific situation. Here are some storage devices and the situation that they might be used:
Hard disk- Hard disks are used as everyday storage on your computer. Data can be stored on these disks for easy retrieval.
Floppy disk- Floppy disks are ideal for situations when you need to transport or backup small files.
RAM- RAM is used for fast access to CPU instructions.
CD ROM- CD ROM's are great for reading data off of compact disks. They are direct access storage which allows for fast access of data.
Tape- Tapes are sequential access storage devices but are cheap and capable of storing large amounts of data. They are often used for backing up large amounts of information.
There are many different factors that determine how fast a computer can read information. Below are some components that contribute to the speed, and the way in which they affect it;
RAM- RAM affects the speed of the computer because of its size. The more RAM you have the more data that can be stored and quickly accessed by the CPU.
Clock speed- The clock speed is important because it determines the speed at which the CPU can send instructions.
Data on hard disk- Data on a hard disk is direct access storage and can be accesses in seconds.
Data on CD ROM- CD ROM's are also direct access storage but are not as fast due to limitation in read speed of the CD ROM drive.
Data on floppy disk- Only small amounts of data can be stored on a floppy disk, and because it is sequential storage, it is slower that other media types.
As you can see, if a computer was just a computer it wouldn't be of much use to us. Thankfully, there have been many different inventions that have made the computer the most useful tool for just about any application. Through storage of input data and the output of information, computers have made companies more organized, more efficient, more successful, and more profitable.
Stair, R and Reynolds, G (2006), Fundamentals of Information Systems, 3e. Course Technology.