In order to see how artificial intelligence plays a role on today’s society, I believe it is important to dispel any misconceptions about what artificial intelligence is. Artificial intelligence has been defined many different ways, but the commonality between all of them is that artificial intelligence theory and development of computer systems that are able to perform tasks that would normally require a human intelligence such as decision making, visual recognition, or speech recognition. However, human intelligence is a very ambiguous term. I believe there are three main attributes an artificial intelligence system has that makes it representative of human intelligence (Source 1). The first is problem solving, the ability to look ahead several steps in the decision making process and being able to choose the best solution (Source 1). The second is the representation of knowledge (Source 1). While knowledge is usually gained through experience or education, intelligent agents could very well possibly have a different form of knowledge. Access to the internet, the la...
... middle of paper ...
... THE STANDPOINT OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. Stanford University, 1969. Web. 04 Mar. 2014.
Hill, Kashmir. "How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 16 Feb. 2012. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
"IBM Watson Vanquishes Human Jeopardy Foes." PCWorld. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.
Upbin, Bruce. "IBM's Watson Gets Its First Piece Of Business In Healthcare." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 08 Feb. 2013. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.
Crevier, D. (1999). AI: The tumultuous history of the search for Artificial Intelligence. Basic Books: New York.
Postman, N. ""The Ideology of Machines: Computer Technology." Technopoly New York: Vintage Books. 1992:107-122
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Effects Artificial Intelligence has had on Society and on Business Until recently, many people thought it unlikely for machines to have human-like abilities. Human-like abilities were generally only attributed to animals, and not machines. However, with technological advancements such as computers, many are beginning to realize the importance and impact such machines have in business. There are virtually no businesses today who do not implement the use of the Internet and networking technologies.... [tags: Technology Technological Cause Papers]
2398 words (6.9 pages)
- Scientists claim that devices with Artificial Intelligence will replace office workers during next 5 years (Maksimova).According to this statement it is possible to say that AI has a great influence on humanity. Pursuant to Oxford Dictionary Artificial Intelligence or AI is the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks normally requiring human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages(dictionary).Firstly, this research will analyze positive and negative impacts of development of Artificial Intelligence on economic sphere.... [tags: intelligent machines, revolution]
1038 words (3 pages)
- For everyone today, technology plays a large part in everyday life. Technology has a wide range of benefits which is a reason technology has become so integral today. Technology has helped from elementary school children, to wealthy CEO’s. However, there is also a camp that thinks we should limit technology because of its negative effects. Frankly, I believe that we are afraid of change. We are afraid of new endeavors, new frontiers to explore; which is why people are so against technology. I think that an unfortunate flaw that humanity possesses is that, everyone calls for change.... [tags: Technology, Artificial intelligence, Psychology]
1732 words (4.9 pages)
- The widespread of the technology and human 's daily habit optimized by the technology can evoke people to have motivation and creativity that lead human 's evolution to the next stage. Then because of the popularization and development of the modern technology, people finally can undertake to create "Artificial Intelligence" known as the AI, which is the recent hottest topic in terms of a lot of fields such as computer science, philosophy, and business. However, in the editorial "As Artificial Intelligence Evolves, So Does Its Criminal Potential," John Markoff mentions the more AI invents, the more cybercrimes or crimes would happen due to the technology equipped with AI algorithms because i... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Computer, IPhone, Crime]
945 words (2.7 pages)
- Artificial Intelligence “is the ability of a human-made machine to emulate or simulate human methods for the deductive and inductive acquisition and application of knowledge and reason” (Bock, 182). The early years of artificial intelligence were seen through robots as they exemplified the advances and potential, while today AI has been integrated society through technology. The beginning of the thought of artificial intelligence happened concurrently with the rise of computers and the dotcom boom.... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Computer]
1176 words (3.4 pages)
- In a world where technology play a huge part of people’s lives, we would need to understand the “mind” behind systems such as Siri, Cortana, and other programs – known as artificial intelligence. There are two ways to think about the use and power of artificial intelligence. The Weak AI hypothesis states that a computer can simulate some mental activity and intelligent behavior. On the other hand, the Strong AI hypothesis states that a computer engaged in the right computations has a real mind. But what are the benefits and risks of AI.... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Psychology, Strong AI]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Imagine asking your computer to do something in the same way you would ask a friend to do it. Without having to memorize special commands that only it could understand. For computer scientists this has been an ambitious goal; that can further simplify computers. Artificial Intelligence, a system that can mimic human intelligence by performing task that usually only a human can do, usually has to use a form of natural language processing. Natural language processing, a sub-field of computer science and artificial intelligence, concerns the successfully interaction between a computer and a human.... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Computer, Alan Turing]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Artificial Intelligence Recently, the media has spent an increasing amount of broadcast time on new technology. The focus of high-tech media has been aimed at the flurry of advances concerning artificial intelligence (AI). What is artificial intelligence and what is the media talking about. Are these technologies beneficial to our society or potential threats. Medical facilities, police departments, and manufacturing plants have all been changed by AI. Will machine language and artificial neural network replace humans in the future.... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Computer]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- Introduction As our world expands through the growing abilities and applications of computers in our everyday lives, it seems that the role of the computer has been reversed. Before we knew that the computer only understood what we programmed it to understand; however, now the majority of our society is learning more from computers than they are able to input into it. Dumm (1986 p.69) History "The human aspiration to create intelligent machines has appeared in myth and literature for thousands of years, from stories of Pygmalion to the tales of the Jewish Golem." Anat Treister-Goren, Ph.D.... [tags: Cause Effect Artificial Intelligence]
1374 words (3.9 pages)
- In today’s rapidly changing world, technology has given us a possible future in the field of Artificial Intelligence. An August, 1999 article entitled “12: Machines Will Be Smarter Than We Are,” explains how Artificial Intelligence is inevitable. It also explains when and how it will transform civilization. The facts and examples used in the article may not give a full picture of the situation, but succeed in presenting a strong argument. The major strength of this article is the number of examples and quotes that the author uses to support his/her claim.... [tags: Free Artificial Intelligence Essays]
432 words (1.2 pages)