Nonverbal communication contributed a large part in creating relational uncertainty within Tom and Summer’s relationship. There were multiple occasions within the film when Summer’s behavior may have led Tom to believe that she wanted more than the platonic relationship she established. For example, Summer kissed Tom in the copy room of the...
... middle of paper ...
...r’s relationship inevitably fell to its demise due this ambiguity and incompatibility, an occurrence that I have experienced myself. Since I come from a high-context culture, it is preferred by society to keep to myself and avoid directness. From this, I had often hoped that my partner would be able to pick up on my nonverbal behaviors much more effectively than they did. This assumption that others are like us is a debilitative tendency. For this reason, I believe that Tom should have established his feelings more directly towards Summer instead of letting his actions speak. Since people have different perceptions of life values, it is important to gauge the understanding of the other person and have a mutual boundary set within a relationship. However vague communication can be, communication serves as a significant function within our relationships and our lives.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cortney Harris Melvin English 101 November 19, 2014 American Poet, Edna St. Vincent Millay, once said, “I know I am but summer to you heart, and not the full four seasons of the year.” Summer is the point in the year where one is free to act however one may feel. When one can have that of childlike behavior and leave it behind once the season ends. David Updike’s “Summer” depicts a young boy, Homer, on a summer vacation who soon discovers his feelings for Fred’s sister, Sandra, but fears she does not feel the same.... [tags: Boy, Girl, Summer, Man]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Over the course of his decades-long career as a respected and influential man of letters, he also wrote an extensive collection of critical essays. In such piece, “A Southern Mode of Imagination,” he argues that the renascence of Southern letters occurred because of a shift in the way Southerners thought; a change from what he termed the extroverted “rhetorical mode” of tall-tales and politicking, to the introspective and hitherto primarily Northern “dialectical mode.” From his unique position as both a critic of the Renaissance and one of its vanguards, Tate posits that the antebellum Southern mind lacked the self-consciousness necessary to produce great writing because it was wholly occu... [tags: Literary Analysis ]
1927 words (5.5 pages)
- Courage is The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe Tom Wolfe's novel The Right Stuff, gives an accurate description into the lives of the first astronauts and rocket-powered aircraft test pilots, from their careers before, during, and after their selection to become astronauts, through to their private home lives. All throughout his book, Wolfe refers to "the right stuff" and "this righteous stuff" without ever saying upfront what "the stuff" really is. I have concluded that throughout the story, "the right stuff" is simply courage.... [tags: Tom Wolfe]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- In his opinionated book, From Bauhaus to Our House, Tom Wolfe describes his views on the way architecture has framed our modern world. He frames his book long essay with an excerpt from America the Beautiful, "O Beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain, has there ever been another place on earth where so many people of wealth and power have paid for and put up with so much architecture they detested as within thy blessed borders today. . . . Every child goes to school in a building that looks like a duplicating-machine replacement-parts wholesale distribution warehouse .... [tags: World War II, United States, Modernism]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- When May comes for most kids only one thing is on their mind. Summer break. As they finish up their school the kids prepare for long lazy afternoons, swimming, and just being kids. They don’t need to worry about a paper that needs to be done or math homework. Instead they can just sit back and relax. I like many other kids however think of experience and worthwhile experiences when it comes to my summer break. While I certainly don’t want to leave out relaxing besides the beach, a summer break can give me experiences I couldn’t otherwise have such as practicing a new skill.... [tags: summer vacation, summer break]
419 words (1.2 pages)
- INTRODUCTION RL Wolfe is an engineering and productions company that deals with the production of plastic pipes. The company has its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It is worth 350 million dollars and has three branches that include Wolfe’s Austin based in Texas, Columbus based in Ohio and the most recent branch that the company acquired based in Corpus Christi, Texas. The company has been trying to adopt new human resource management (HRM) practices in a bid to increase the productivity. The new HRM strategy is the adoption of self-directed teams (SDTs).... [tags: human resource strategies]
3133 words (9 pages)
- Summer vacation: "school holiday in summer between school years and the longest break in the school year, typically between 6 and 14 weeks (Wikipedia)". Summer break originates all the way back to the mid 1850 's for rural American schools. Summer break was not always around for all schools though, it only came around to all schools in the early 1900 's due to Americans wanting a standardized school schedule across the nation. The summer break was then used for students to relax their minds from school and for mostly to help in the fields for growing season (infoplease).... [tags: High school, Education, School, Summer vacation]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Thomas Wolfe said, "...to every man, regardless of his birth, his shining, golden opportunity ... the right to live, to work, to be himself, and to become whatever thing his manhood and his vision can combine to make him" (“The American Dream”). On June 16, 2015 Donald Trump introduced his shining, golden opportunity. The real estate industry tycoon, billionaire, and TV celebrity officially kicked off his presidential campaign in his New York City landmark building, Trump Tower (DelReal). "Make America Great Again!" is the official campaign slogan.... [tags: Empire State Building, New York City]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- American Heros in Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff depicts the lives of some of America's hottest pilots and its first astronauts. These men include Pete Conrad, Chuck Yeager, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, Wally Shirra, Alan Shepard, Gordon Cooper, Scott Carpenter and Deke Sleyton. Some of these men were hotshot test pilots at Edwards Air Force Base, and some flew cargo planes. Some had impeccable service records, while others hadn't flown in a real dog fight for even a second.... [tags: Right Stuff Tom Wolfe Pilots Flying Essays]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Film Analysis of King Kong Produced by Merian C. Cooper A classic adventure-fantasy film in the earlier talking films is King Kong (1933). King Kong was conceived by director/producer Merian C. Cooper. Cooper tells the story of an attractive blonde woman and a frightening gigantic ape-monster who are immersed in a Beauty and the Beast type tale. A major section of the film is the struggle on Skull Island between the filmmakers, the islanders, and the other resident of the island. The other resident being a mutant creature who must also fight civilization when it is brought to New York City for display.... [tags: Film Analysis Movies King Kong Essays]
663 words (1.9 pages)