The field of Oriental Medicine with a specialization in oncology and advanced pain management is of strong importance to me since cancer has touched the lives of people who are very dear to me.My maternal family is from Anniston, Alabama. Anniston is known as one of the most toxic cities in the United States due to the Monsanto’s Chemical Factory producing PCB (Polychlorinated biphenyls) and knowingly polluting the area. My grandfather died of lung and brain cancer from working in the chemical plant that produces PCB. My mother previously survived thyroid cancer 30 years ago and a cousin who resides in Anniston currently has terminal brain cancer. In addition, cancer is 33% higher in the African- American community than in other races.
Having been born into a family of three generations of outstanding physicians, the drive to succeed and to be of service to humanity is etched in my genetic makeup. I strongly believe that being a member of Bastyr’s academic body will provide me with the tools that will enable me to accomplish my aspirations and join the list of Bastyr alumni known worldwide by their remarkable achievements. I am equipped to pursue my ambition of becoming a Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine at Bastyr University wi...
... middle of paper ...
...l office of public health, where I worked on the administrative patient care management team which was developed through AmeriCorps. I am by nature a compassionate person, and I have found that my nurturing demeanor helps to put patients at ease in what can at times be a stressful or intimidating situation.
I know that I possess the background, ability, and motivation to make a significant contribution to oncology and advanced pain management. I look forward to building a substantial educational foundation which I hope to constantly improve upon by staying abreast of any advances in the field of TCM. I believe that Bastyr University will provide me the academic community and rigor to more develop my aptitude for advance research. I hope you will make a favorable decision regarding my admission to the Doctoral program and I look forward to joining Bastyr University.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... This was most definitely an error on my part. Instead of giving all of my efforts into school and I should have done, I spent my time outside of class with my friends instead of with my school books. As a result, I failed at college miserably. My thoughts were that I could excel at college the same way I did in high school with little to no effort, and I could never have been so wrong. After several semesters of doing poorly at the community college, I decided it was best for me to go to a technical school and pursue a license as an LPN.... [tags: Higher education, College, High school]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- I am applying to Drake University for admission to the M.S. program in Counseling. I am interested in specializing in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. My drive to work hard, ability to communicate successfully, as well as my life experience, has prepared me to be a successful graduate student. When I was little, I had this fascination with how strange the world was. Or maybe I was the one who was strange; I asked questioned others my age did not even think about. When I was a sophomore in high school, I took Advanced Placement Psychology, and I found answers to some of those ‘strange’ questions.... [tags: College, Graduate school, Iowa, High school]
1726 words (4.9 pages)
- There is a very famous maxim, “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” I strongly believe in this quotation. My desire for knowledge was never ending. Machines fascinated me since my childhood. I always wondered what the mystery behind their functioning was. So I chose to study mechanical engineering. I learned many things about the machines, the more I learn about them through the research the more they enthralled me. I developed a strong interest towards manufacturing field when I started studying manufacturingtechnology in my 4th semester.... [tags: Mechanical, Engineering, Undergraduate]
529 words (1.5 pages)
- My name is Roberta Geis. I am a student at State University. It is my unfortunate, yet appreciative, responsibility to submit this paper on Academic Dishonesty. The purpose of this paper resulted from utter irresponsibility on my part. In an effort to meet a required deadline, along with a lack of proper time management, I submitted an assignment that contained plagiarism. I must admit that this was never my intentions and the first time I have been faced with such a situation. However, in an effort to take total responsibility, I recognize that my waiting until the last minute to complete an assignment is the root cause of this situation.... [tags: Admission of Plagiarism]
1843 words (5.3 pages)
- ... Providing tenure to teachers enables some to not try anymore. Yes, we all know that one teacher who gives his/her all no matter what the case might be, but the old saying “one bad apple spoils the bunch” most definitely reigns true in this case. For example, there are teachers who do what they have to do in order to receive tenure and once they have it they feel invincible. Another well-made point was how schools should get students to be involved more. Get them to widen their horizon and “become more thoughtful and interesting people”.... [tags: College, University, School, Education]
867 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Although Admissions Counselors and Social Workers are similar in a variety of ways, they differ in the aspect of their salaries. To become a social worker it is only required to have a bachelor’s degree rather than a master’s degree, but those who wish to specialize in a certain type of social work, it then becomes a requirement to obtain a master’s degree. It differs concerning becoming an Admissions Counselor because due to working in a higher institution it requires obtaining a master’s degree.... [tags: Higher education, University, Sociology, College]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- ... The University of the Ozarks evidently accomplishes this first requirement. Considering that the number of students per class is little (between ten and thirty), the possibility to build a one-to-one relationship between professor and student is more likely than in a class with one hundred students. Moreover, professor at the University of the Ozarks don’t finish their interaction with students when classes are over. Professors know how important is to have extra time with students to discuss problems with assignments or problems related to the class, this is why they have open office hours where students can ask for professors’ guidance.... [tags: University, College, Education, Higher education]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- In my family, I was always expected to go to college right after high school, but I didn’t know it was going to be expensive. College tuition is very expensive, and graduating with debt is becoming highly common nowadays. The two essays I chose for this paper are Andrew Hacker/Claudia Dreifus’s “Are Colleges Worth the Price of Admission”?, and Kevin Carey’s “Why Do You Think They’re Called For-Profit Colleges”?. Because they have similar messages that they both are trying to inform us about. But Hacker and Dreifus College use evidence in better ways they are more organized by putting their topics into categories and explaining what the main sentence means, and you know what they are trying... [tags: Higher education, College, University, Education]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- After graduating from high school many graduated seniors face the difficult challenge of applying to a university or community college to attend to in the fall. With applying to college, students compare their likes and dislikes with each school, determine which school environment suits them best, and where can they receive the best possible education for their potential major. Searching for a school to attend is an important part of a student’s life and applying to one should be performed very carefully.... [tags: Education Legacy Admission College Higher]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- The purpose of this letter is to apply for admission to the International Relations program of the [INSERT UNIVERSITY HERE] for the Fall 2011 session. I had begun my undergraduate degree at Virginia Commonwealth University in 2005 pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree. During these times, I had taken courses focusing on various subjects. After having completed 100 credits, I gained admission to the VCU Dental School but I had decided to leave the dental school to pursue my true passion in international politics.... [tags: admission essay]
861 words (2.5 pages)