A system unit is the main part of a personal computer. The system unit includes the chassis, microprocessor, main memory, bus, and ports but this does not include the keyboard or monitor, or any peripheral devices (Enterprise). A system unit is also known as a “Tower” or “Chassis”. It is the main part of a desktop computer. It also includes the motherboard, CPU, RAM and other components. (Techterms, System Units)
A Motherboard is the main circuit board of your computer and is also known as the mainboard or logic board. If you were to ever open your computer the biggest piece of silicon you see would be the motherboard. Each motherboard has a collection of chips and controllers known as chipsets. (Techterms, Motherboard) A chipset is a group of integrated circuits that work together. It may refer to the design of a single component or may describe the relationship of multiple components within a computer system. For example, the chipset of a video card describes the design of the card, while a motherboard chipset described its layout and the different components it supports. (Techterms, Chipset)
Another name for system unit is a computer case. Cases are usually constructed from steel or aluminum. Plastic has sometimes been used other materials such as glass, wood and even Lego blocks have appeared in home built cases. (Wikipedia, Computer cases)
A microprocessor incorporates the functions of a computer’s central processing unit (CPU) on a single integrated circuit. The microprocessor is a multipurpose, programmable device that accepts digital data as input, processes it according to instructions stored in its memory, and provides results as output. It is an example of sequential digital logic, as it has int...
... middle of paper ...
...es of memory, motherboards, CPU’s, RAM’s and a lot of other terms are all about what a system unit is. The motherboard is the main brain of the system and it is basically what everything else has to run off of or go through to run. The system unit is a very important object in computers and without this we wouldn’t have computers that would run properly.
Enterprise, Quinstreet. System Unit. 2013. 18 November 2013.
Fathima. Function of the system unit components and how they communicate. October 2008. 18 November 2013.
Techterms. Chipset. 31 July 2012. 18 November 2013.
—. Motherboard. 6 December 2008. 18 November 2013.
—. System Units. 27 January 2011. Web Page. 18 November 2013.
Wikipedia. Computer cases. 5 November 2013. 18 november 2013.
—. Computer memory. 20 September 2013. 18 November 2013.
—. Microprocessor. 15 November 2013. 18 November 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. Computer hardware is the physical pieces of a computer. It’s the equipment that makes up the computer. 2. A piece of computer hardware is a mouse. A mouse is a pointer for your screen. Clicking the left button, right button, or scrolling with the wheel performs different actions on your screen/with your software. 3. The CPU is the central processing part of your computer; the processor performs the instructions given from programs. 4. The system unit is the outside case of your computer. It holds the CPU and other circuitry/components that run your computer.... [tags: Computer program, Computer, Computer software]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- The Components of a Computer and Information Processing System In today’s world, computers are everywhere. People use them in a wide range of ways in every aspect of life whether it is interacting with friends, cooking a meal, or transferring funds from one account to another. However, many people do not think about the many aspects of computing and the various devices and software that are part of the information process. Basics of the Computer A computer is a device that can be programmed to perform a specific operation.... [tags: Computer Science]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- The Basic Computer Hardware Central Processing Unit: The central unit is the basic part of the computer and includes all the main computer parts. It is the heart of the computer system. It is responsible for executing, or running the software. The software programs are translated into a series of codes made up of 1s to 0s that the CPU can understand. Every code means a certain operation should take place. A CPU has various discrete units to help it in these tasks for example there is an arithmetic and logic unit(ALU) that takes care of all the math and logical data comparisons that need to performed.... [tags: Computer Hardware Research Paper Technology]
1701 words (4.9 pages)
- System Unit Most of us have no idea what a system unit is or what it does. Most of us also don’t know what it does in the work of a computer, or what it is able to do. Some of us might not even know what it looks likes. Research can help us answer these questions, help us understand a little bit more about computers and what we are actually working with. A System Unit contains electronic components that are used to process information and data in a computer. The main purpose of a system unit is to help store data in a computer.... [tags: motherboards, chassis, store data]
1050 words (3 pages)
- COMPUTER SYSTEMS, UNIT 2 Sophie Pritchard Aim: to be able to understand the components of computer systems (e.g. motherboard, cup) and to develop the skills needed to recommend systems for business purposes as well as being able to set up and maintain the computer system. A computer system consists of hardware components that have been chosen specifically so they work together, software component or programs are also chosen that run in the computer. CONTENTS COMPONENTS of computers 3 Motherboard: 3 Power Supply Unit (PSU): 3 Central processing unit (CPU)/ processor: 3 Hard disk drive: 3 Optical drive: 4 Fan and heat sink/ cooling 4 BIOS 4 Hard drive configuration and controllers 5 Network... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Hard disk drive]
1392 words (4 pages)
- ... Each of hardware devices has its own function. First, input device "giving data input to the system" in which include keyboard, touch screen, pens, electronic mice, and optical scanner. Second, output devices consist of video display unit, printers, and audio response unit, monitor, plotter, CD or CD/DVD “burner”, slide or overhead projector, and speakers. by these devices user can easily can record and communicate data into the computer. Third, central processing unit (CPU) it is the main component of the computer hardware and it divided into two parts such as the arithmetic logic unit and control unit.... [tags: computer, devices, central processing unit]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- Personal Computer System Components Can you imagine a world without computers. Computers have changed everyday life in infinite ways that we would have never imagined 50 years ago. Long ago, computers were primarily used to compute numbers and to do word processing. As times have changed, computers have also evolved to help us with our everyday tasks. Nowadays we even use our computers for personal enjoyment by using them for games and finding information on the Internet. One way computers play a vital role in everyday life is a computer that helps manage a nuclear power plant.... [tags: how a computer works]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- Categories of Computers and Components of a Computer Categories Personal Computers A Personal Computer (PC) is a computer that is generally only used by one person at a time. A PC with the help of a user is able to perform all of its output, input, storage, and processing activities by itself. (1) There are many types of PCs that include Laptops and Desktop. Laptops sometimes called notebooks are a portable type of computer that is designed fit into a person’s lap and comes in many different sizes and capabilities (1).... [tags: Personal computer, Laptop, Hard disk drive]
1042 words (3 pages)
- Identify the constituent parts of a total computer system ========================================================= Hardware - input and output units Backup storage; central processing unit; Software - applications package; Operating system; The main function of a computer system is to process data. When data has been processed and output it becomes information. The main stages of this procedure are: 1. The Input Stage - where data is put into the computer. 2. The Processing Stage - where the data is processed.... [tags: Computer Science]
2515 words (7.2 pages)
- Includes large program code and mathematic equations There are many times that computers can help humans do things that could not be done by hand. Many of these things can be expressed mathematically as a sum but can not be calculated on paper because of the extremely large number of simple calculations. The example that I've been working with is the sum of electric fields and the field lines they can produce. It is easy to acquire the electric field vector due to a set of charged particles at a given point, but to create a smooth line that follows those vectors requires more computing power than just a paper and pencil.... [tags: physics computer program programming]
3173 words (9.1 pages)