Work Breakdown Structures
According to Wiley Encyclopedia, Work Breakdown Structure is "a systematic way of defining the scope of a project"(Freeman 2015) (Anon 2014).According to the delineation of Wiley, all Project Managers PM use it in their planning, accomplishment, and others. As GURU stated, the WBS is a tool for the scope planning. However, it is a perfect tool for scheduling as well (GURU n.d.)(Freeman 2015)(Egeland 2011).The program uses a chart, which represents the fundamental activities and the corresponding period for many variables such as the calendar, expenditure, status and the global progress. Not only the chart helps to create incorporated projects administration but also undertakes the business different operations and activities in an efficient manner on the WBS (Ewbs n.d.)
One of the great descriptions of the WBS is what stated by Freeman that transport the project activities and the relevant mechanisms to enhance the final objective of the project (Freeman 2015). As the name reveals, the program breakdown the whole project into small units so that finally the result is becoming realistic effortlessly. Accordingly, WBS assists to portray and assemble units and element of the projects by dividing the vast and complex sections into small parts (He 2014) (He, 2014, referred to in Pritchard, 1999). Furthermore, it makes cost analysis less plummeting, to enable the PM and the various supervisors to handle the intricate nature of expenditure and to estimate in an efficient manner (He, 2014, referred to in Gordon et al., 2009).
Edward Freeman argues that WBS is a safe and cost-effective channel to deliver interconnected responsibility of the...
... middle of paper ...
...y focuses (Egeland, No Date)
4. The advantages of the project are an efficient data stream, unfortunately, change in turns and diminish in excess to disadvantages.
Based on personal experiences, the Gantt chart would demonstrate extremely powerful as a tool or a device that could be utilized as a part of schedule planning side by side with WBS to complement each other – as mentioned above. Due to the complementary nature of the two tools, they will be particularly dominant when a task is remarkably vast in nature and has many moving constituents. Most importantly, Gantt chart as a bar graph may represent PERT and CPM. Therefore, we can use more than one capability in one too, therefore, planning stage remains trustful. Planning is almost saves 50% of the efforts and work if enough information is fed into the chart.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What differentiates a list of project requirements from a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS). A work breakdown structure is a key project deliverable that organizes the team 's work into manageable sections. The Project Management Body of Knowledge. defines the work breakdown structure as a "deliverable oriented hierarchical decomposition of the work to be executed by the project team”. Basically the work breakdown structure is something that is put together which defines the scope something that project team can understand.... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- Most of the projects are approved out of three constraints; they are cost, time and scope. These three are important factors commonly called as triple constraint or frequently represented as a triangle. The above figure represents how the project should be deliverable with certain ideas, such as • project should be delivered within cost • Project should be delivered on time • Projects must meet the agreed scope – no more, no less • Project must also meet customer quality requirements Any organization when they take up project, they will do the work and be successful within this triple constraint.... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
703 words (2 pages)
- In the first place, work breakdown structure is a key project deliverable that organizes the team 's work into controllable sections. The Project Management Body of Knowledge. defines the work breakdown structure as a Basically the work breakdown structure is something that is put together which defines the scope something that project team can understand. On the other hand, project requirement is kind of a document which tell management, what has to be produced and the exact date of completion.... [tags: Project management, Management]
709 words (2 pages)
- In this case study, the work breakdown structure is classified as a waterfall methodology where it is more rigid whereas eXtreme programming (XP) would be considered under the agile approach. The work breakdown structure (WBS) is a hierarchical structure that outlines tasks needed to deliver the product or service. This traditional project management tool can provide many key benefits for Sabre because they have recently relied on a large modelling software package to help their company make flight schedules more profitable.... [tags: Project management, Extreme Programming]
817 words (2.3 pages)
- The planning process is the most complicated and critical stage to the success of a project. A well-developed, comprehensive plan can serve as a powerful bridge in forming and managing the connection between the overall strategy and project delivery. Located in the heart of the county, the PMO of Pinellas county acts as a project management center to oversee its projects in different areas of the county in terms of standardized project management tools, practices and key performance measures. To increase the chance of success, the PMO needs to align its project management strategies directly with the county’s strategic goals.... [tags: Project management, Management]
1014 words (2.9 pages)
- Although it takes place at the end of the project lifecycle, closing a project is an equally important step in managing a project. In the final phase, project manager has the opportunity to schedule a formal completion or de-commissioning meeting with the client, project team and Project Sponsor. “The purpose of the meeting is to review the final acceptance document and obtain final approval that the project is complete and objectives have been attained” (Mastering-projectmanagement.com, 2014). This phase also entails celebrating the success of the project, identifying and planning for any follow up activities, and reflecting on lessons learned to be applied to future projects.... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- As someone with a keen interest in project management, I was eager to experience all the stages of a project life cycle from its inception to conclusion. When I found out that we had to complete a project that ends with chairing a project management session during the SIUE Project Management Symposium, I was eager to participate. It didn’t take long for me to realize that even though it was a class project, we had to adhere to a lot of industry-standard project management practices or were in danger of failing to deliver an excellent product to our client and our stakeholders.... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- The project integration management is a core process that assists in managing the complexity of a range of interrelated projects elements (Baccarini, D 1997, p.101). Project integration management includes ‘…the processes the processes and activities to identify, define, combine, unify, and coordinate the various processes and project management activities within the Project Management Process Groups’ (PMI 2013, p63). Project integration management becomes complex when drawing on knowledge from different disciplines as there is risk that each team may work as separate and distinct parts (Meredith, J & Mantel, S 2012, p.245).... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- I have a sound understanding of project controls fundamentals, which is proven by my accreditations in project controls and project management disciplines as follows: I am among the few cost engineers in Australia, who were granted the globally recognised cost engineering credential of CCP (Certified Cost Professional) by Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) in Canada. This credential proves my extensive understanding of cost engineering, cost estimation, cost controlling, budgeting and forecasting, project accounting, and cash flow management.... [tags: Project management, Management]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Sequencing A key component of successful project planning and execution is establishing and maintaining a quality and reliable schedule. When establishing the schedule, project manager should be cognizant of several project management best practices to include, but not limited to, capturing and sequencing all activities, assigning resources, establishing the duration of all activities, confirming that the critical path is valid, ensuring reasonable total float, and maintaining a baseline schedule (GAO Reports, 2015a).... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
1363 words (3.9 pages)