Webster’s dictionary has several definitions for the meaning of gang. The definition that best fits for juveniles is a group of young people who do illegal things together and who often fight against other gangs, or a group of people who are friends and who do things together. (Webster’s) One of the problems met by law enforcement and other professionals is the lack of a consistent definition of a gang. Generally a ga...
... middle of paper ...
... Contemporary Street Gang Memoirs. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi
Merriam-Webster Dictionary. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gang
Morch, S., & Andersen, H. (2012). Becoming a Gang Member: Youth Life and Gang Youth. Online Submission
Regoli, R., Hewitt, J., DeLisi, M. (2011), The Essentials Delinquency in Society, Jones and Bartlett Publishers
Sante, L. (1991). Low Life: Lures and Snares of Old New York. New York: Vintage Books.
Schmidt, L. M., & O'Reilly, J. T. (2007). Gangs and Law Enforcement: A Guide for Dealing with Gang-Related Violence. Springfield: Charles C Thomas Publisher, LTD.
Sela-Shayovitz, R. (2012). Gangs and the Web: Gang Members’ Online Behavior. Journal Of Contemporary Criminal Justice, 28(4), 389-405. Doi: 10.1177/1043986212458191
Soordhas, J. T. (2009). Gangs: Violence, Crime and Anti-gang Initiatives. New York: Nova Science.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A critical issue, perhaps most injurious to our futures, involves the criminal tendencies of our youth. Juvenile delinquency is without a doubt one of the most crucial topics that we face in our society today. Children and teens do not only shape our future, but will also pave the footsteps for future generations. What prompts this criminal behavior. And why is the proportion of delinquents in society seemingly increasing. As we will see, many factors play a role in molding personality; these factors include gender, family, and schools.... [tags: Juvenile delinquency, Crime, Criminology]
1472 words (4.2 pages)
- Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member, is an autobiography detailing the criminal and personal life of Kody Scott. The book tells the story of how and why Kody Scott got involved in gang life, what happened during his time as a gang member, and how his life changed after his incarceration. It gives great insight into the inner workings of gangs in America, and shows how tough life is for the people who choose to be a part of it. Shakur greatly details his early years, his time as one of the leaders on the streets, and his transformation in prison.... [tags: Autobiography, Crime, Personal Life, Kody Scott]
1383 words (4 pages)
- A major issue that can affect students is growing up in poverty. Students are more likely to have a higher teenage pregnancy rate and poor health outcomes, low education goals and the environment shapes how the student develops into the person that they are. All of these factors can result in bad outcomes while some can learn from their past and take it elsewhere and make something out of themselves. According to the article “ Why Are Low Income Teens likely to become pregnant” by Sarah Ipatiencio there are three prime reasons that cause this matter.... [tags: Poverty, Teenage pregnancy, Nutrition]
910 words (2.6 pages)
- I once watched a documentary about a young boy named Derrick, who was a product of the black poverty cycle. The film did not follow him through life because of this circumstance, but rather how strongly determined Derrick was in trying to fight his way out. He was captain of his school 's football team, an honor roll student, already scouted by major universities, and was never once negatively involved with the law. I remember watching the film and rooting for Derrick because he showed so much promise, despite the odds.... [tags: Gang, Los Angeles, Crime, Gangs]
1923 words (5.5 pages)
- What causes the youth to want to become a part of the gang lifestyle. As youth become more adapt to social groups and cliques in society. It can be a truly tough experience to belong in a group with your peers. Youth in America join and become entangled in the gang life, due to lack of a solid social institutions, having access to power, feeling of safety and finally receiving respect from their community. Gangs are popular in today’s society, such as youth related crime has been growing, but an extent and coheres reason for the crimes committed by gang members is slowly beginning to become excessive.... [tags: Gang, Crime, Criminology, Illegal drug trade]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- Juvenile delinquency is a considerable problem within the United States. Many efforts are put into place to ensure a better life for youth. Undeterred by the efforts in place, some youth are continuing to be lost within the juvenile justice system. According to the Public Broadcasting Service (Juvenile Justice) “On average, juveniles were involved in one-quarter of all serious violent victimizations (not including murder) committed annually over the last 25 years.” (Juvenile Justice) This statistic proves that youth are being involved in violent crimes, and need to be stopped.... [tags: Crime, Criminology, Gang, Juvenile delinquency]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- 2) The family and school risk factor for gang involvement is almost the same as those risk factors for juvenile delinquency. The more risk factors that the child possesses the more likely they are to join a gang. Family risk factors include single-parent households, dysfunctional family structure, sexual abuse, family violence, family drug/alcohol abuse, poverty, family members are involved with gangs, weak family bonds/structure, problems exist between child and parent, and sibling antisocial behavior.... [tags: Crime, Criminology, Juvenile delinquency, Gang]
1722 words (4.9 pages)
- You are driving in your car when suddenly your stomach rumbles. You are hungry. Do you decide to pick up some fast food or go home and spend the time to make yourself a meal. Let us assume we do not have the time to create our own meal. When you get to the restaurant of your choice, do you park in the closest parking spot to the door or do you simply use the drive-through. What do you choose to eat. Is it something processed and frozen or do you choose something made fresh. After eating your food you decide to go to the mall.... [tags: Healthy Lifestyles]
2888 words (8.3 pages)
- Gang violence and murder are two factors that contribute to the delinquency that develops in young boys and girls. Violence is seen among juvenile delinquency, where teenagers are victims of violence that exists around their neighborhood or violent acts their peers around them commit. Violence exists in poor neighborhoods where juveniles do not have any money or jobs and leads to them becoming thieves. Caine is a young man that is surrounded by violence and drugs, where he becomes a delinquent due to him growing up in a dangerous neighborhood and being part of a group where his peers murder and steal.... [tags: Crime, Criminology, Juvenile delinquency, Gang]
1635 words (4.7 pages)
- Juvenile Delinquency Delinquency is defined as juvenile actions or conduct in violation of criminal law, juvenile status offenses, and other juvenile behavior. (Schmalleger, 2001) However, this is not the only category of what types of children are in the juvenile justice system. There are five other categories and they include: undisciplined children, dependent children, neglected children, abused children, and status offenders. Undisciplined children are said to be beyond parental control and do not listen to anyone of authority, such as teachers, or any school officials.... [tags: Juvenile delinquency, Crime, Childhood]
1567 words (4.5 pages)
- The Man Who Overcame his Death Sentence. Earvin Magic Johnson
- Evaluation of the Perspectives about the Performance Appraisal Presented by the Managers
- Drug Use of Black Adolescent Girls
- Comparing Dantikat's A Wall of Fire Rising and Moore's V for Vendetta
- Women’s Rights and Their Importance to the Development of True Democracy
- The Rise and Fall of the Creature Within Frankenstein