I chose to write Service Works, because it’s a nationwide organization that helps young adults in developing communities to build acquired skills to prepare for college and their career paths. Service Works provides success coaches for young individuals as role models, and people that they can interact with if they have any problems, questions, or need advice regarding their career paths. Service Works is an organization that is hosted by Jersey Cares, a nonprofit organization that has been around since 1993. Service Works recruits and engages volunteers in rewarding effective efforts that help address community-identified needs. According to Jersey Cares.org, their mission statement is to, “increases the level of meaningful volunteer engagement by creating and managing efficient, impactful projects that address critical community-identified needs.” With the support of Jersey Cares, Service Works had the opportunity to go to different locations in New Jersey, such as, Penn Station, and areas in Burlington county. They gave food and clothes. They also clean public parks, such as Branch Brook Park.
This organization, Service Works, made the volunteers do a capstone project, where we had to tackle an overlooked community problem. My group and I came to a conclusion that the biggest problem in the society is that homeless people are overlooked. We wanted to feed the homeless, not because we can end the hunger situation, but in order to bring awareness to the community that we have some people living in the street with no food or medical help. As a group, we created a GoFundMe.org page in order to hold a fundraiser. It did not go as planned because people felt that we needed to give them a reason to ...
... middle of paper ...
...different departments in the country, which is then distributed to the state and local government. The supervisor told me that their organization receives a substantial part of its support from the government, individual donations, and Interest from investments. With the help of people volunteering different item to their organization they help get things that they need for their volunteer work. Another theory that was discussed in class was, participatory democracy, Which means that the citizens are involved directly in the process of making decision in the society. If Service Works can show the people of the community that we can help homeless people, citizen can help provide a place for them to stay in order to get back on their feet. Without the citizen on their side it will be hard to accomplish, which was shown in the video clip, “A Homeless shelter in Maspeth.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864) is critically acclaimed for the portrayal of New England Puritans in his fiction. The grim picture of the rigid and forbidding Puritan community in his works reflects the widespread attitude towards Puritans, yet Professor Deborah L. Madsen, in her paper, “Hawthorne’s Puritans: From Fact to Fiction” claims that this monolithic portrayal of Puritanism results in a ‘powerful misrepresentation of the actual puritans [and] of the dynamics of Puritan theology’ (Madsen 1999, p 510) .... [tags: Literacy Analysis ]
1593 words (4.6 pages)
- Abstract Services are combined and then controlled through an orchestration engine for achieving a business process. These services can be internal to the organization or COTS, which raises the question of authenticating the quality of the services. The problem currently being faced by the SOA developers is the lack of a system that guarantees a third-party service. A service provider may provide claims about a service but those claims need to be validated. Even the service provider might not have an idea that his service has degraded over time due to increase in traffic, data or some other elements.... [tags: Information Technology]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- The Focus of Ministry There is no doubt that God works and interacts with his creation. Throughout the entire Bible, God is involved with His creation, working and orchestrating all things according to His will. This belief affects every Christian in every area of work including ministry. Ministry is a vocation in which this belief is foundational to the work that is done because when one looks deeper into what it means to minister of the Gospel, a greater power is seen working in the lives of people than that of any individual.... [tags: Jesus, Christianity, Holy Spirit]
1647 words (4.7 pages)
- Recent researches on big data are showing the challenges of the semantic web: how to link data on the webpage and connecting the available data on web so that is created at high speed in large volume in different variability or variety that ensure the quality and correctness of that data so that it is able to understand for humans and machines. People are spending a lot of time to extract, transform and integrating the data for their analytical purpose but their expert tools wants data into a specific format and reshaped data so that they can retrieved better result It will enable the new development of the semantic web as linking, processing, and analyzing all that data becomes better and... [tags: query analysis, semantic web]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- Reinventing Government in the United States Post Service In this research paper, I will discuss an overview of reinventing government in the United States Postal Service. The purpose of reinventing government is to make government work better, cost less, and get results. I will also provide examples of how reinventing has effected the organization. I will touch upon some of the history of the United States Postal Service, some of its plans for the year 2000, and how the concept of reinventing government has improved the voice of the customer, employee and the business.... [tags: Politics Mail Papers]
3172 words (9.1 pages)
- Tracing the Source of Denial of Service Attacks Abstract: Denial of service attacks are becoming increasingly prevalent and serious, yet the anonymity that these attacks affords the hacker provides no means for a victim to trace the attack. The weakness of the TCP/IP protocol allows for this anonymity, yet it would be very difficult to change this protocol. Savage, Wetherall, Karlin, and Anderson present a method for tracing back the source IP address and network path of denial of service attacks.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
2010 words (5.7 pages)
- My personal worldview explains the way I view and live life through the assumptions and beliefs I hold in response to the world around me. I believe I was created for a specific reason and purpose. What do I believe to be true. I believe that God exists and that he is the creator of everything that exists. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, John 1:1” (NIV). This is biblical proof that God exists. The verse that explains that God has always existed is, “Revelation 22:13, I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End” (NIV).... [tags: God, beliefs, religion]
1773 words (5.1 pages)
- Chapter 36 Victims Service Response paper As I read the article on social worker for victim services I thought of how amazing of an individual you would have to be to do this type of work. To work with victims of a crime whether it is domestic violence, rape or murder, these people depend on you. This career to me seemed like it could go in two different directions. Going the way of the criminal system, helping in court for the victims or going more the way of the victim services, helping the victim through the hospital visit and decision making process at that time.... [tags: Job Analysis]
550 words (1.6 pages)
- After rereading all of the response papers for this semester, I was surprised by how much my writing has changed. I consider Response Paper #3, which was about the interaction of sight and sound in Immortal Beloved, to be my best writing because I was able to describe my observations in an interesting way, examine the larger implications of the details in the film, and tie the ideas together to support my claims and ideas about the work. Compared to the response papers I wrote before it, Response Paper #3 was the first time I was able to think critically about the choices that artists made in the presentation of a performance and attempt to answer the question of why these details were sele... [tags: Writing, Critical thinking, Paper, Opera]
710 words (2 pages)
- A typical school day for many University students consists of sitting in a classroom and listening to a lecture. While there is great value in this style of learning, my community service work has taught me the many benefits of learning not only from professors, but also from fellow classmates, partners in the community, and individuals at volunteer sites, regardless of their age or educational background. It has also taught me to be an active member of our community and to share the burdens and responsibilities that goes along with that role — caring about the living conditions of others.... [tags: Community Service Experience Paper]
359 words (1 pages)