This episode of HBO’s Addiction series discussed the definition of relapse, what could possibly lead up to relapse, and usefulness of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in relapse prevention. This video also presented individuals who have experience relapse and gave them the opportunity to discuss their experience(s). As a counselor in training and a practicum student at PORT Human Services Opioid Treatment Program, I have heard similar stories; however, hearing stories dating some years back has proven that relapse is more common than not and it is still a struggle for people desiring abstinence from all mood altering substances. Addiction and relapse has been a huge issue for the addiction population and still remains a huge issue.
According to the video “relapse is not a failure of treatment, it’s part of the disorder,” This comment was made during a discussion that compared relapse to medical conditions such as diabetes. At first this statement caught me off guard, but as I continued to listen to the explanation, I began to understand how people can view drug addiction as chronic and a relapsing disease. This was a unique analogy that brought clarification about addiction and relapse. I believe this view can be used as a reframing technique when counseling a client who feels like a failure due to relapse. However, I would first consider the client’s culture beliefs; not all clients have the same views and beliefs of what causes an addiction. I feel counselor should find a balance between acknowledging relapse and encouraging sobriety so a client will be more aware and have a better chance of dealing with relapse should that occur.
This video was useful in my training a profe...
... middle of paper ...
...uld be replaced with more positive and productive behaviors. I find this approach/therapy to be more effective because it can lead to long-term recovery as it used both cognitive and behavioral techniques.
In summary, the HBO Addiction Series episode “Understanding Relapse” was very informative. It gave great insight about relapse and provided real life experience spoken by individuals who experience recovery and relapse. I liked how this episode allowed a diverse group of individual to express their experience of addiction and relapse. With that said, it proves that no one is one-hundred percent protected from addiction and relapse. As I continue to train as a professional substance abuse and clinical counselor, I will use the information learned as a way to empathize with future clients and advocate for equality of services provided to the addiction population.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “I guess what I’m tryin’ to say is…not everything comes down to how you carry it in the street. I mean, it do come down to that if you gonna be in the street. But that ain’t the only way to be.” --Dennis "Cutty" Wise The Wire is a HBO series written and produced by David Simon. It is a crime series based in Baltimore, Maryland which first aired in 2002. The show highlights Baltimore’s war on drugs and the war between elected officials. The show begins with an inside look at different scenes within the season and then a quote from one of the characters.... [tags: David Simon, Blatimore Maryland, Series]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction and Purpose: The speed in which chemical reactions occur and the factors that affect the speed is with in the investigation of chemical kinetics, this laboratory experiment was done in a way that allowed a study into the kinetics of a chemical reaction. Accordingly, the collision theory is in factor for these chemical reactions, qualitatively explaining why the relations between reactions rates of different reactions show differences. A primitive principle for this theory contains that only under the condition of molecules colliding, will then a reaction occur.... [tags: Chemical reaction, Reaction rate, Chemistry]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- Life is a Series of Actions and Reactions Schooling is experienced differently by every individual. Some face challenges that have never crossed another’s mind. Disabilities, cultural differences, race, gender, and so much more will influence a child’s schooling. My schooling was unique, no doubt, and part of this uniqueness were the things witnessed. The small town area where the school was, made for a small amount of diversity. This led to confusion on how to react to those who were diverse and led to issues in and out of the classroom.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Preventing Relapse: Taking the Necessary Steps “Preventing Relapse: Taking the Necessary Steps” is a video that discussed relapse and addictions. After watching this video, I have found answers to questions such as: what can lead to relapse, what are possible warning signs of relapse, and how can a person practicing abstinence prevent relapse. This video presented individuals who have experienced addiction and relapse to discuss their experiences; thus, increase awareness of the real life issues of relapse.... [tags: Drug addiction, Addiction, Thought]
704 words (2 pages)
- Introduction Kinetics is the discovery and study of the reaction rates of chemical reactions. These reaction rates involve the pace or rate at which a reaction progresses. Many specific conditions can affect the reaction rate value; furthermore, the factors include the concentration of the reactants, the polarity of the solvent, and temperature1. The rate of reaction can be determined and studied using a rate law, an equation that correlates the rate with concentrations and a rate constant. This experiment’s reaction involving t-butyl chloride has a first order reaction rate, which means that the reaction’s rate law equation is the first order equation shown below.... [tags: Chemical reaction, Chemical kinetics]
1999 words (5.7 pages)
- Introduction: In this lab, I determined the amount of heat exchanged in four different chemical reactions only using two different compounds and water. The two compounds used were Magnesium Hydroxide and Citric Acid. Both compounds were in there solid states in powder form. Magnesium Hydroxide was mixed with water and the change in heat was measured using a thermometer. The next reaction combined citric acid and magnesium hydroxide in water. The change in heat was measured as well. For the third reaction citric acid was placed in water to measure the change in heat.... [tags: Energy, Chemical reaction, Temperature, Chemistry]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- HBO's Sex and the City has become a cultural icon in its 6 seasons of running. Based on Candace Bushnell's racy book Sex and the City, the show exhibits an unprecedented example of the sexual prowess of women over the age of 35. The result is an immense viewing audience and an evolving view on the "old maid" stigma that a woman's chances of finding love are significantly reduced after thirty-five. In this paper, we will closely analyze the characters and themes of Sex and the City to explain the significance of what the show represents in American culture.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
2693 words (7.7 pages)
- Reaction Paper On Immortality On Ice The movie that we watched was about reviving a person from the dead. This is said to be done in the future but they had already started researching how to use ice as a power to revive a clinically dead person. They used ice as a method to preserve a body and now they are planning on how to revive a person through the use of nanotechnology that can repair all the cells that were ruptured n the freezing process.... [tags: Movie Film Reaction]
1539 words (4.4 pages)
- Thus far in Rowling’s predicted seven book series, all four books can be found to have a number of shared themes that are rather evident in all of them. The most evident, however, would be that things in the land of Harry Potter are not always what they seem, and in order to get along well in this land, you must accept the differences of others. Harry’s life for his first few years could be categorized under both of these themes. Harry, after all, is always having bizarre things happen at the most inopportune moments; his aunt, uncle, and cousin (the Dursleys) are definitely less than accepting of this, resulting in a very poor relationship between Harry and them (The Sorcerer’s Stone 1... [tags: Harry Potter Series]
805 words (2.3 pages)
- Television Crime Series Television crime series are inherently religious. They present disturbing questions of death, guilt, justice, mercy, confession and absolution, and hope or hopelessness. One episode may be viewed as a parable, with the center as the courtroom scene with its "moment of truth" when the norm inverts and strangeness enters, as in a parable. They are parables, for parables are the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of God is here and now as Jesus said, Mk1:14-15. It breaks into our world and inhabits it while remaining holy.... [tags: Research Paper Crime Series Essays]
1470 words (4.2 pages)
- The Effect Of Temperature On Bacterial And Fungal Species Of Amylase
- Motivating A Student For Becoming Successful Is Never The Same. All Students
- Difference Between State And Out Of State Tuition
- My First Pregnancy Was Not A Planned Pregnancy
- An Analysis Of Plato 's ' The Phaedo Dialogue '
- Technology And Technology Has Caused Our Lives