I grew up in Arizona where large wildfires are an annual occurrence. During late summer the evening news is full of updates on what is occurring during that years “fire season”. When traveling through the state one can easily see where fires have burned as they leave behind many singed treetops and blackened fields. In recent years these fires seem to be increasing and the damage they cause appears to be more severe.
Some transitional sentence here This paper will look at the various wildfire suppression techniques currently used by firefighters and the impact they have on the surrounding environment. The first section will look how climate change is causing a trend of increased wildfire occurrences and intensity. The next section will look at three individual suppression tech...
... middle of paper ...
...nnually it is likely that this budget will continue to grow. In addition to the financial impact of wildfires, society needs to be conscientious of their surrounding environment. As wildfires increase the side effects caused by suppression efforts will continue to grow.
As discussed in this paper climate change is not only increasing the length of forest fire seasons but it is impacting their intensity as well. Wildfires affect on the environment is extensive and to some extent beyond human control. As they continue to grow their affect on climate change will continue as well which, as discussed previously, will likely result in even more intense wildfires. It is important that fire managers continue to utilize MIST guidelines and take into consideration what is best for their suppression goals as well as the environment when creating plans for wildfire containment.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ecosystems in California have been experiencing increasingly intense fire seasons since 2012 (Yoon et al. 2015). The climate of a lot of area in California is ideal for fires to be extreme. With climate change increasing the intensity and amount of fire weather, we as humans must take new approaches to fire suppression in order to keep up. Prescribed burning is a technique we can use to reduce some of the most extreme qualities of wildfires. 1.1 Prescribed burning Prescribed burning is the controlled use of fire to reduce wildfire fuel to prevent future fires (Rogers 2015, Kilgore 1973, Casals et al.... [tags: Wildfire, Controlled burn, Fire, Bushfire]
1349 words (3.9 pages)
- In the earth that we live in, man has had been blessed with the knowledge and tool of fire. It has helped man become a dominant species, and without it we would not be as populated as we are today. It has blessed man with its existence but in today's world, fire has become a more fatal problem. The problem is wildfires. According to the Bureau of Land Management, about 2,700 wildfires occur in an average year on the BLM's lands ("Fire Management…"). These wildfires pose a serious problem, and how to suppress them is vital to the understanding of our nation's fire risk.... [tags: Expository Reaserch]
2960 words (8.5 pages)
- There are many definitions of stress but the one coined by Hans Selye in 1936 stood out to me the most. According to him, “stress is a non-specific response of the body to any demand placed upon it to adapt, whether the demand produces pleasure or pain”. He observed that the psychological response of the body to either a good or a bad situation was the same. According to Seaward (2012), the author of the text Managing Stress, principles and strategies for health and well-being, there are three different types of stress including eustress, neustress and distress (Seaward, 2012, p.... [tags: distress, body response, demand]
1066 words (3 pages)
- Cure panic attacks and stop living in fear. Since this disorder can occur without warning, it can take a toll on those afflicted, preventing them from living a healthy, productive lifestyle. Common symptoms include feeling weak, faint, or dizzy; tingling or numbness in the hands; sweating or chills; chest pains including "racing" heart and difficulty in breathing; and a sense of losing control. Anti-anxiety medicines like Xanax, Klonopin, and Ativan are some of the medications prescribed at the onset of the treatment for panic attacks.... [tags: Various]
1918 words (5.5 pages)
- Ultrasonic sound- The PING))) ultrasonic sensors operate using ultrasonic sound. The sensor emits an ultrasonic chip, which is reflected off of and object. The sensor times how long it takes for the sensor to emit the chirp, and have it received off the object as an echo. Using the equation of the speed of sound in air, the sensor monitors distance. The sensor operates using a 40kHz chirp. This frequency falls in the sound range commonly used by animals for communication. Frequencies that are much higher, for example 1-20 mHz are used more commonly for medical imaging.... [tags: Various]
1518 words (4.3 pages)
- Brain tumor is an abnormal mass of tissue in which some cells grow or multiply uncontrollably. Various techniques have been developed for detection of brain tumor. This paper focuses on survey of well-known brain tumor detection techniques and the applied image segmentation procedures. The main concentration is on the techniques which use image segmentation to detect brain tumor. These techniques include Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), functional MRI (fMRI), Computed Tomography ( CT ) Scans and various others.... [tags: Computed tomography, tumor, MRI]
3133 words (9 pages)
- Computer Architecture Contents 1. Introduction 2. Motivation 3. Various techniques of power management 4. Reason for selection of topic 5. Introduction to cluster level servers 6. Power management at Cluster-level servers 7. Issues pertaining to Power Management in cluster level servers 8. Merits and Demerits of various techniques. 9. Suggested solutions 10. Conclusion 11. References 1. Introduction The number of Electrical and electronic devices running on electricity are increasing at a rapid rate.... [tags: electricity, power, efficiency, solutions]
2478 words (7.1 pages)
- According to Peter’s map – the north is rich and the south is poor, this is also stated by the Brandt Report. The Brandt Report works on the principle that; if you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day but if you teach him to fish, you will feed him for life. This basically means that if you give someone in a poor country some fish for example, it will only last for a limited amount of time, because it gets eaten – a short term solution. Whereas if you teach him how to fish, he can go and fish for himself and feed himself free of charge to him or anyone else – a long term solution.... [tags: Various]
1035 words (3 pages)
- The Main Techniques of Telling a Story in Various Films The First film I’m going to talk about is “The Blair witch project” which is a story about 3 teenagers who are filming a documentary about The Blair Witch which is a legend told for years which is said to be true. They act and talk in dialogue making the film seem real we can also relate to this film if we have ever filmed ourselves hanging out with our friends as this is simply what this film does. The characters are fun to start off with but as they get themselves into more situations they become more miserable and dramatic.... [tags: Papers]
1062 words (3 pages)
- Wildfire Mitigation Thesis: Politicians are proposing sweeping changes in bills, which have caused great controversy, in efforts to correct the problems that the Forest Service has faced in restoration projects. Are these bills necessary or is there a better solution that politicians are overlooking. Introduction: Humans have been changing the Western forests' fire system since the settlement by the Europeans and now we are experiencing the consequences of those changes.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Forest Essays]
2960 words (8.5 pages)