In 2005, there was a shortage of heroin in the UK, because of a problem at the main UK manufacturer. Because of this, many hospitals changed to using morphine instead of heroin. Although there is no longer a problem with the manufacturing of heroin in the UK, some hospitals there have continued to use morphine. The majority, however, continue to use heroin. Heroin tablets are supplied for pain management. Heroin continues to be widely used in the United Kingdom, where it is commonly given if patients cannot easily swallow oral morphine solution. The advantage of Heroin over morphine is that Heroin is more fat soluble and so more potent by injection only, so a smaller dose is needed for the same effect.
The medical use of is controlled in the United Kingdom by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. In the UK it’s a class A controlled drug which means its guidelines surrounding its administration, storage, and destruction. Possession of Heroin without a prescription is a prosecutable offence. When Heroin is prescribed in a hospital or similar environment, its administration must be watched by 2 people who...
... middle of paper ...
...ere craving for more. The user's physical reaction usually includes shaking, headache, drug craving, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, inability to sleep, agitation, anxiety, and depression. Certain types of drugs require a period of medical detox; others don’t. Opiates, such as heroin and methadone do require medical detox. Prescription medications need medically supervised detox. Other illegal drugs, such as crystal meth, marijuana, and cocaine do not require medical detox.
"Heroin Addiction Stories - Why Is Heroin So Addictive? - Drug-Free World."Heroin Addiction Stories - Why Is Heroin So Addictive? - Drug-Free World. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2014.
"Heroin Addiction Symptoms and Effects." Heroin Addiction. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2014.
"Heroin Topics." Heroin Detox. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2014.
Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Heroin Heroin, a powerful narcotic, acts upon the brain as a painkiller, increasing physical addiction and ongoing emotional dependence (Schaffer Library of…). Heroin has many challenging and highly risky effects on the user, all the more hazardous if overdosing is present. This extremely dangerous drug, heroin, will never cease being used, but may cease the existence of an individual. Heroin is a painkilling drug that is made from the Papaverum Somniferum, also known as the opium poppy plant.... [tags: Papers]
1647 words (4.7 pages)
- Healthcare usage outside the programme (/ year) 8.6 7.4 Inpatient stays (weeks / year) Less than a week Less than a week Criminal activity against property (days / year) 10.3 37.5 Arrests (times / year) 2.1 2.8 Convictions (times / year) 0.25 0.54 Table 3: Data extracts showing the mean per patient from multiple tables in the article The authors then move on the calculating the costs related to both treatments, using cost utility. The following bar graph summarises the findings (Mean values): Figure 2: Bar chart showing the savings that could be achieved using co-prescribed methadone in heroin-addicted patients (10) Thus far in the study, one can observe that even though on face value the... [tags: methadone treatment, drugs, heroin addicts]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- Music and other art forms often go hand in hand. Creativity is not just a one-note deal or rather it is not confined to a singular aspect or form. Oftentimes it is interlaced into many forms, such as, music, writing, artwork, fashion and much more. Like a tree, creativity grows and extends out into infinite directions rooting itself in society. One such artist is Brandon Boyd. During the day he is a contemporary artist and by night he is a singer-songwriter for an internationally recognized rock band, Incubus.... [tags: Art ]
1387 words (4 pages)
- My goal is to make a photo album of pictures depicting some of the various forms of love that exist between humans. Love is unfalteringly one of the strongest emotions that we feel over the course of our lives, and I want to capture that emotion in pictures. The photographs will be taken using a variety of techniques to evoke different forms and strengths of love, and each picture will be accompanied by a quote that promotes the same type of love I chose this topic to gain experience in the art of photography, as well as to further my knowledge of techniques that can be used to show different forms of any certain object or emotion through an image.... [tags: photography, art, love, ]
862 words (2.5 pages)
- Who would expect that a town known for their excellent education systems, well developed economy, and rapid population expansion to have the highest record of heroin deaths in one year in the United States. Naperville, Illinois, is a suburb of Chicago, has been dealing with the loss of seven young adults from overdoses of heroin in 2011 (Wilson). The early deaths of these young people are completely avoidable. Having proper knowledge of the warning signs that heroin displays can help; but to further the knowledge, having videos available to watch helps parents talk to their kids about drug use.... [tags: drug addict, naperville, heroin deaths]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- To look at the heroin addiction in females, we will first have to look at where it all began. A study done by Deborah L Rhoads shows that, in the early 19th century, “Society considered it a wealth or status symbol for most middle and upper middle-class women to need to have numerous home visits from their male doctors who often prescribed opiate medicine for “female” complaints. A lady was expected to need of chemical assistance, and Laudanum, a liquid opiate preparation, was the female medication of the day.” There was an early outlook that everything wrong with females was a medical condition and men or their husbands always controlled the drug choices for his wife, daughter or mother.... [tags: Deborah Rhoads, heroin epidemic, drugs]
1201 words (3.4 pages)
- Ultrasonic sound- The PING))) ultrasonic sensors operate using ultrasonic sound. The sensor emits an ultrasonic chip, which is reflected off of and object. The sensor times how long it takes for the sensor to emit the chirp, and have it received off the object as an echo. Using the equation of the speed of sound in air, the sensor monitors distance. The sensor operates using a 40kHz chirp. This frequency falls in the sound range commonly used by animals for communication. Frequencies that are much higher, for example 1-20 mHz are used more commonly for medical imaging.... [tags: Various]
1518 words (4.3 pages)
- An investigation into the various forms of business structures and recommendations of most appropriate legal structure available under UK law. 2. Terms of reference As a consultancy group the author is requested to review the main forms of business organisation that exist under UK law. The author was to suggest the benefits and shortcomings of each legal structure discussed. Finally the author is then requested in conjunction with the client's current financial situation, to ascertain which would be the most appropriate legal structure available.... [tags: Management]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- The Various Forms of the Cosmological Argument for the Existence of God The cosmological argument is a well established argument for the existence of God and it is also known as the first cause argument. The cosmological argument is based upon the belief that there is a first cause behind the existence of universe and this was God. It has taken many forms and in the past has been presented in many ways. So many philosophers have put their points across, philosophers like; Plato, Aquinas, Socrates, Hume, Kant and many more.... [tags: Papers]
1552 words (4.4 pages)
- Heroin Heroin is a highly addictive drug derived from morphine, which is obtained from the opium poppy. It is a white to dark brown powder or tar-like substance. It is a "downer" that affects the brain's pleasure systems and interferes with the brain's ability to perceive pain. Heroin can be used in a variety of ways, depending on user preference and the purity of the drug. Heroin can be injected into a vein ("mainlining"), injected into a muscle, smoked in a water pipe or standard pipe, mixed in a marijuana joint or regular cigarette, inhaled as smoke through a straw, known as "chasing the dragon," or s... [tags: Papers]
522 words (1.5 pages)