Stealing the hard work of Stars
"Hello" by Adele is a recent hit song widely heard and played since its release in October. Adele is known for her powerful voice and inspirational breakup songs. The songs that artists like Adele create are used to make a living. When people download illegal music online or use the music of other artists and not pay for the song, one is essentially stealing the artist 's hard work. In 1991, when the case of the music groups Negativland/U2 occurred, it was a chance for an artist to fight for what was theirs. In the case, Negativland sampled a song by U2 without permission and U2 and Island productions then sued them for this. The court made the decision that this was a violation of the copyright law. I affirm the decision of the lower court that Negativland violated copyright law. The case of Negativland vs. U2 also helped artists secure copyright over their music and made enforcing permission for usage of music more than just a courtesy for artists.
Negativland is a group of artist who 's 1991 single caused a great controversy for its sampling of different songs especially U2 's song "I Still Haven 't Found What I 'm Looking For." In Negativland 's single the song was easily recognizable as U2 's song and Negativland even used the name U2 for their songs cover. Negativland was sued for violating trademark law on U2 's trademark name and song. The courts decided that Negativland had violated trademark laws and had to give all rights to U2 as well as pay repercussions.
In Negativland 's first press release, they argued about the legal lawsuit against them by U2. Negativland argues that their single "U2" was about embracing U2 's musical phenomenon. ...
... middle of paper ...
...ight to sue. Negativland 's music was clear distinguishable as sampled from U2 's song and attempting any usage of "de minimis use" is invalid. I believe that laws of copyright and usage are clear enough so that they protect musicians and allow others to use music for creative and entertaining purposes.
I affirm the decision of the lower court that Negativland violated copyright law. Several sources on cases that are relevant to that of Negativland vs. U2 helped affirm my decision. Negativland made their sampling evident to listeners and released their single for consumer gain. The use of a "de minimis use" was unavailable to that of Negativland because it was evident that the base of their single was that of U2 's "I Still Haven 't Found What I 'm Looking for" single. Negativland should agree to pay all fines and agreements set by U2 and Island productions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Charles Dickens' Hard Times and David Lodge's Nice Work ----“Fact, fact, fact, everywhere in the material aspect of the town; fact, fact, fact everywhere in the immaterial.” – Charles Dickens In the early 1851, London staged the Great Exhibition to show the world, the achievements and inventions of the Industrial Revolution. Many people believed that this showed how much better, safer and healthier Britain was than its neighbours in Europe. People living in mansions amid lawns and fountains, with horse drawn carriages certainly felt that life couldn’t be better.... [tags: Lodge Dickens Hard Times Nice Work Essays]
2458 words (7 pages)
- In certain parts of Wales England times were hard for women, men and children. Age barely played any part in the labor coal mines, nor the fact that they are woman and children that were picked to work in the mines. The different cities in England some mines have different requirement of working for all sex and gender in the pits. In some coal mines for women, children, and men to work in the coal mine they were forced to have not one piece of clothing on while working. Woman had different jobs in the mines they were not allowed to seek out to retrieve the coals pits themselves; it was left up for the men to handle.... [tags: Wales, work conditions, ]
693 words (2 pages)
- Work ethic is a set of values or belief based on moral attitude that hard work is worthy of reward. It also refers to the workers moral benefit based on one’s earnest and its ability to improve his capacity. Although the value has been changed throughout the history, society still has its expectation on workers that they should have a good work ethic in order to be selected for better position where it requires more responsibility, recognition of his contribution with higher wages. Contrary, society does not trust the workers, who do not meet the expectation, for being neglect his duties and fail to make contribution to his society.... [tags: Moral Attitude, Values, Hard Work]
1176 words (3.4 pages)
- Personal Responsibility in Sun, The Moon, The Stars by Junot Diaz Studying the Sun, The Moon, The Stars, by Junot Diaz, brought the realistic image of an intimate relationship in a way I never expected. The main character in the story Yunior says in the beginning, “I’m like everybody else: weak, full of mistakes, but basically good”, starts telling information on how his personality is. Yunior is not a bad guy even though he cheated on his girlfriend; these comments are retrospective because he makes them when the relationship between Magda ended.... [tags: Junot Diaz Sun Moon Stars]
1079 words (3.1 pages)
- Character list Annemarie is one of the main characters in this book. she is a 10 year old german girl who lives in Copenhagan, Denmark with her mom, dad, and young sister Kirsti. Annemarie tells the story from her point of view. “It was only in the fairy tales that people were called upon to be so brave, to die for one another.Not in real-life denmark” annemarie struggles to find the definition of courage, but with the big journey that awaits uphead she soon finds out. Ellen is also one of the main characters in this book , she’s also the same age as her best friend annemarie.... [tags: Number the Stars Essays]
1284 words (3.7 pages)
- Hipparcos Mira Variable Stars ABSTRACT From the visual and infrared light curves we are trying to find the phase changes and correlate them to Infrared shift and magutdes to see what is happing to Mira type stars as they age. Most of the radiation in the star is in the Infrared. The method being used O-C and fitting mean light curves. All mira variables pulsate undergoing rapid mass loss. In the conclusion we show that the magnitude has a positive correlation with the phase shift. I.Introduction Studies of Mira variables are of considerable importance in stellar astrophysics because they are pulsating stars undergoing rapid mass loss.... [tags: Astronomy Stars Space Essays]
1250 words (3.6 pages)
- In the book "Freedom Next Time (2007)" written by the world’s renowned journalist and documentary filmmaker, John Pilger, gives us the prevalence of the chronicles of five countries which is, as he expresses: “about empire, its façades and the enduring struggle of people for their freedom” (Pilger, 1). It is a book of individual struggles for peace, security, and a civilized nation with strong government. The opening chapter “Stealing a Nation” is an upsetting story of San Diego which unfolds the time, about 40 years ago, that had been secretly buried away until just recently.... [tags: sociology, corporate crime, chagonassians]
1293 words (3.7 pages)
- Stealing - Original Writing A few questions. Hahaha, what do you take me for, a fool. Believe me sir I've sat in this chair many times before and I certainly know that this is going to take a lot longer then just a few questions. JESUS, you people. You bang me up in a dark, cold, emulsioned box and expect me to calm down. Do you have any idea how hard it is to sleep on those wooden benches; you pigs really know how to treat your guests. My mum and dad. Don't patronise me. You lot have my files and know full well were they are, buried under tons of soil in cheap wooden boxes.... [tags: Papers]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Duffy's Feelings in War Photographer and Stealing Explain how Carol Ann Duffy conveys her feelings towards the subjects of the two poems War Photographer and Stealing. 'War Photographer' and 'Stealing' by Carol Ann Duffy are both poems about outsiders. She often uses dramatic monologues when writing poems, and 'Stealing' is an effective example. 'War Photographer' was written after Duffy had a conversation with a war photographer named Don McCullin. I believe that he must have inspired her to write this laudable poem.... [tags: Carol Ann Duffy War Photographer Stealing Essays]
2050 words (5.9 pages)
- Stealing Home Can you imagine living somewhere all your life, and then having a stranger tell you to move. What about having you home taken away from you because you live differently then others. Or even yet, can you imagine having someone move in next door to you, and you die from a sickness that they brought with them. Native Americans have lived this way since the days of Christopher Columbus. As they were shuffled around and pushed westward, the crowd followed, until there was nothing left for them.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Nikki Giovanni : A Famous African American Activist, Writer, And Educator
- Police And Prosecutors Become Conditioned On Scripted Responses
- False Perceptions Aroused From The Belief Of Innate Ideas
- The Importance Of Setting Short Term Goals And Analyzing The Amount Of Time Spent Effectively
- The Theory And Concepts Of Organizational Behavior
- Child Abuse And Its Effects On Children