Through the Constitution of the United States, citizens where granted the right of freedom of speech. The first amendment of the United States, written in 1971, gives the freedom to not only speech but religion, press, and even assembly (Bill of Rights). Through this amendment, everyone is given the right to say what they please and face no consequences. Taking away this right would not only go against the Bill of Rights but it would invalidated the Constitution, which gives the freedom to the United States. For example, it is seen where individuals who do not want to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance, do not have to. They are able to do this due to having the freedom of speech and expression, and if we require all to stand during the pledge of allegiance that is going against some individual’s freedom of speech (Rosenblatt, 502). Although not standing during the pledge of allegiance is not how some individuals express their freedom of speech, the government cannot take away how other individuals want to use to express their thoughts and beliefs.
Many individuals chose to express their beliefs on certain public opinions through protests and assemblies. Protests are given the stigma of...
... middle of paper ...
... to some of their mere bodily function” (508). The way that pornography reduces individuals to a basic function, can cause harm to both men and women. Due to the harm, if pornography was banned then harmful situations of individuals being reduced will be avoided.
By drawing attention to pornography it is allowing individuals to become objects and not human beings. Pornography becomes an exploitation of individuals, and at times will be unequal and non-mutual agreements (Kristol, 509). Not only does this cause harm with one party but with both parties. One party could face criminal activity charges and then the other party could face psychological issues, like depression, and the physical toll that the act would take on the party. With all the harm that is probable with pornography, limiting this form of freedom of speech and expression is an easy decision to make.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The First Amendment is known as the most protected civil liberty that protects our right to freedom of speech. There has been much controversy regarding hate speech and laws that prohibit it. These problems have risen from generation to generation and have been protested whether freedom of speech is guaranteed. According to our text book, By the People, hate speech is defined as “hostile statements based on someone’s personal characteristics, such as race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.” Hate speech is a topic of issue for many people and their right’s, so the question is often proposed whether hate speech should be banned by government.... [tags: Ku Klux Klan, Hate crime, Hate speech]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- The government has tried and tried to take away our basic rights, hide stuff from us, and are now trying to ban junk food and fast food commercials. I think junk food commercials should not be banned because the government should not have the power the sensor what we watch. It is discrimination towards the companies that pay to put their product on television but no longer can because they are blamed for the nation’s problems. Finally it would take away jobs. It is the parent’s choice if they want to but the product.... [tags: commrercials, parents, fcc, ]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Approximately 7,500 infants die due to sudden infant death syndrome due to exposure of secondhand smoke in America (“American Lung Association”). Children all over the United States are unwillingly exposed to parental secondhand smoke in public, in cars, and at home. When children are exposed to secondhand smoke, many develop life threatening diseases later in life as a result of that exposure. In the United States, smoking should be banned while in the presence of children. Children’s lungs are vulnerable to the effects of secondhand smoke, and this can cause serious problems down the road.... [tags: Should smoking be banned in public places?]
1402 words (4 pages)
- Do you mind people smoking around you in public places. According to the pro-smoking group Air Initiative 7 in 10 of you do. Do you think it is fair to discriminate against smokers, forcing them to stand outside and smoke. On the other hand is it fair that non-smokers should have to inhale second hand smoke which can dame their health. (Do you support this ban or do you oppose it?) Personally I oppose it as I believe that non-smokers shouldn’t be subjected to a smoky environment on a night out.... [tags: essays research papers]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- There are many criminals that are roaming the streets of our neighborhoods and families should have the right to protect themselves and their family. Many innocent families do not deserve that their children go through the fear of criminals that get in houses. An Example is a family in West Bloomfield, Michigan that went through the fear of being hurt. They were in their house when two armed robbers went in their house and tied them up so they could take objects of high value ( Washington Times).This is one of the major causes that will occur if guns are banned.... [tags: Crime, Robbery, Theft, Gun]
1248 words (3.6 pages)
- Animals are used in research to develop new medicines and for scientists to test the safety of the medicines. This animal testing is called vivisection. Research is being carried out at universities, medical schools and even in primary and elementary schools as well as in commercial facilities which provide animal experiments to industry. (UK Parliament) In addition, animals are also used in cosmetic testing, toxicology tests, “defense research” and “xenotransplantation”. All around the world, a huge amount of animals are sentenced to life in a laboratory cage and they are obliged to feel loneliness and pain.... [tags: Against Animal Testing]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Factory farming should be banned Can you imagine spending your whole life in a cage. This is the reality that animals face daily on a factory farm. Factory farming needs to be stopped. This should be a serious concern because animals from factory farming can harm human health, it also harms the environment and it is not an ethical way to treat the animals. The first reason why factory farming should be banned is that it can cause health issues for people who eat them. According to Gale (2013), “[a]ntibiotics have been used by industrial animal producers for many years  to prevent animals housed … from getting sick and to help them grow more quickly.” The owner of these companies want to... [tags: animal cruelty and abuse]
554 words (1.6 pages)
- There are lots of harmful things in the world such as alcohol, drugs and cigarettes. Cigarettes are smoked and liked being smoked everywhere besides it is poisonous. Although smoking is harmful for people's life. Some people believe that smoking should not be banned. However, in my view, smoking should be banned since it damages people on account of three important reasons. They are health, social and budget problems. The first most important reason why smoking should be banned is beacuse it causes health problems.... [tags: cigarettes, argumentative, persuasive]
427 words (1.2 pages)
- Nowadays, the debate that cigarettes should be illegal and banned has become a popular topic. If they are banned, it will bring some negative problems and positive effects. What will happen if cigarettes are banned. Firstly, once smokers stop smoking immediately, their body will get a lot of bad conditions, especially for their digestive, respiratory, circulatory systems and cannot sleep well. Secondly, if smokers can’t stand anymore, they will find new way to instead of cigarettes and lead to more seriously problems.... [tags: Nicotine, Smoking, Cancer, Tobacco]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- Smoking cigarettes is common among most adults in the United States, yet it is one of the most dangerous things you can do to yourself. Many people feel that smoking should be made illegal. The reason they may feel this way is because it is very harmful to your health and can lead to death. I strongly agree that cigarettes should be banned from being sold and produced because to me they’re considered a dangerous drug. The first reason that supports my claim of smoking cigarettes should be banned is that it is a “major cause to preventable and premature deaths”, according to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.... [tags: legal issues, drugs, cigarettes]
930 words (2.7 pages)