The online games market - whilst known by the industry as in its infancy  - should surpass $15 Billion this year and sales of virtual goods likely to exceed $1 Billion . This very profitable young market can be debated as the future of gaming . With the cost of Broadband technology going down and online services offering a larger amount of micro-transactions and subscription based games – not to mention virtual goods – it would be hard to resist by any gamer.
For example it was reported within 5 days of MODERN WARFARE 2 (MW2) being released it had made $550 million in revenue and an online player base of 8 million, an “army” bigger than real world countries . Not to mention the “Behemoth “of the Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Games (MMORPGs) WORLD OF WARCRAFT(WOW), the insanely popular title by Blizzard has a staggering 12 million active subscribers, considering each subscription costs the consumer $14.99 a month, huge amounts of money can be made in this increasingly popular market.
However with such a vibrant and ever growing market the cost of developing an online game is getting higher, especially Persistent Worlds (PV). Morgan (2009) details that if a game is inept at attracting a sufficient player base it would be unprofitable, thus a wasted business venture . To avoid this outcome an online game must be budgeted and planned accordingly, this is mainly due to how expensive it is to develop an online game . Mulligan et al (2003) further states that development costs averagely run over $7 million and $10–$12 million projects are more common for PWs, plus additional promotion costs are typically around $3-5 million.
Morgan (2009) reinforces the few that init...
... middle of paper ...
...," Decision and Control, 2004. CDC. 43rd
 Christoph Neumann, Nicolas Prigent, Matteo Varvello, and Kyoungwon Suh (2007) Challenges in peer-to-peer gaming. SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev. 37, 1 (January 2007), 79-82.
 Sony online entertainment: Star wars Galaxies Support http://www.soe.com/support/supportTopics.vm?category=PC&id=007
 Blizzard: World of Warcraft Support http://eu.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?locale=en_GB&gameId=11
 Eve Online Support http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/default.aspx
 Brendan Drain (2008) EVE Evolved: EVE Online’s server model http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/09/28/eve-evolved-eve-onlines-server-model/ (05/04/2011)
 Tudor Stefanescu (2006) EVE Online Readies the Largest Supercomputer in the Gaming Industry
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I. INTRODUCTION Multiplayer network games have become increasingly popular over the past decade and their popularity continues to grow as more vendors release this genre of games over social media or as expansions to single-player games. A very prominent category of multiplayer games is the so-called Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMOGs), which allow a large number of players to play within a virtual world. Successful examples are World of Warcraft , Eve Online  and Lord of the Rings Online .... [tags: Computer Science]
1888 words (5.4 pages)
- The term “gamer” tends to be synonymous with “geek” in many people’s minds. They see gaming as a device that absorbs the majority of the time of the user, leaving them as mindless empty, pale husks with no ambitions other than beating that next boss or shooting the enemy in the face. However, few gamers waste their life away. On the contrary, many of these so-called geeks tend to be more social than the average person, and farther down the technological curve than most. For the truth is that gaming is a rather useful and beneficial hobby.... [tags: Gaming ]
1053 words (3 pages)
- Imagine a world that allows people to become someone else for a moment. This virtual world is undiscovered by many people and is competing with each other. They are not afraid of others judging them. They can express their feelings anonymously without fear. This world is filled with people who, in the real world, would usually be quiet and reserved, but in this world emerge as leaders. This virtual world is accessible to everyone, but only used by a few. These few people who make up this virtual world are called gamers.... [tags: Gaming]
2506 words (7.2 pages)
- Technical Discussions WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2/CENTOS 7 Windows Server 2012 R2 offers an enhanced support in the policy module support for the Network Device Enrollment Service. It provides enhanced security so that users and devices can request certificates from the internet. Its TPM key attestation lets the certification authority (CA) verify that the private key is protected by a hardware based TPM. The Windows PowerShell for Certificate Services with its Window PowerShell cmdlets allow for backup and restoration.... [tags: Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista]
1704 words (4.9 pages)
- Throughout time, technological tools have been created and improved for the well-being of humans. From the discovery of fire to having robots educate children, all inventions influence and impact the way we live in a society. Another instrument which will soon remodel the gaming industry and our lifestyle is the Oculus Rift. According to Chacos, Edge-Salois, Hamdan, Luckerson and Trivedi, there is research to prove that the Oculus Rift is a device that will revolutionize the gaming industry and the real world.... [tags: Technological Tools, Advancements, Gaming Industry]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- As soon as the video game world pressed the start button on their business, they never stopped playing. Like any video game, they hit major checkpoints and beat levels. From Pac-Man with joysticks to Angry Birds on iPads, the video game industry has a consistent history of success. Today, everyone knows someone who plays or has played a video game. New games and gaming consoles are constantly being advertised and released. They are even an entertaining method of keeping people up with the growth of technology.... [tags: Video Gaming Essays]
2764 words (7.9 pages)
- At the end of September 2016 the first finished build of Windows Server 2016 is due to be launched. This will take place at the Microsoft Ignite conference in Atlanta, Georgia, USA as the two year Technical Preview period draws to a close. Windows Server 2016 will contain a great many new security and advanced technical improvements, leading on from Windows Server 2012 and 2008. This product update will include dedicated features such as Nano Server functionality and encrypted, shielded virtual machines.... [tags: Operating system, Windows Server 2008, Servers]
812 words (2.3 pages)
- Peer-to-Peer Networking vs. Network Domains Difference Between A network can be based on either a peer-to-peer level or server-based, also referred to as domain-based. To distinguish the difference, a peer-to-peer network, also known as a workgroup, is a network in which a group of computers are connected together to share resources, such as files, applications, or peripherals. The computers in a peer-to-peer network are peers to one another, meaning no single computer has control over one another.... [tags: essays research papers]
2177 words (6.2 pages)
- At 1:15pm Saturday afternoon, I am currently hanging out at the student gaming center with the pool tables and a line of arcades in front of me. At least nine to twelve players are gathered around 2 gaming arcade machines in front of me. The two main popular ones that are of interest would be the Street Fighter 3rd Strike and the Marvel vs Capcom 2 machines. The gamers are heavily immerse in watching the players and cheering them on. I am observing four players playing on two separate machines.... [tags: Gaming, narrative]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Executive Summary The amount of deployed instances of Microsoft SQL Server in the enterprise is on the rise as a database management system. Microsoft set out to provide an effective database management system that meets multiple goals for information technology organizations. SQL Server, a Microsoft product, is designed to deliver scalable solutions while offering ease of use and deployment, self maintenance and tuning, low resource overhead, and low administrator skill set requirements. The seeming rise in popularity of SQL Server has resulted in an upsurge of installations in the corporate environment.... [tags: Database SQL Server]
974 words (2.8 pages)