After hearing my responses, I feel that one of the greatest issues with this topic is the fact that many people are incredibly uncomfortable talking about it and therefore, they avoid talking about these issues. I think that this is a huge issue because if racism continues to be unaddressed, it will continue to prevail. It is like the concept I learned about in the course not too long ago pertaining to colorblindness. People acknowledge there is a racism problem, they claim to not be racist yet they do nothing to prevent racism from occurring. The fact that people avoid talking about racism since it is an uncomfortable topic is very similar to being colorblind. People know racism occurs, people see racist acts occur, the same people claim they are not racist but yet do not address the issue when it arises and feel very uncomfortable to talk about it altogether. I think this is an issue that everyone is at fault for. I think only those that do speak up and are not scared about the repercussions are the only ones that can truthful...
... middle of paper ...
... internalized for so long. Some resources I have outside myself include the skills I am learning in my Master’s program at Simmons as well as some local community outreach programs that strive to advocate and end racism and other oppressive acts. I will most definitely take initiative to keep honing my skills, keep learning, stay informed and probably join an advocacy group. Three resources that had a huge impact on me throughout the course that helped me come to my realization included the video that we watched about the Latino culture and how it is so misrepresented in the media, all the assigned readings but particularly the ones pertaining to systemic and institutional racism as well as the ones pertaining to the Racial/Cultural Identity Development Model. The last resource that also had a great impact on my perspective was the Power of an Illusion video series.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- OB221 Self-Assessment Reflection Paper Charlie Welsh OB221 September 26, 2016 For the past seven years, I have been working across the country as a sailing coach. Whenever I’m coaching, I am always learning different things about both the people and me I am coaching. There are various aspects of coaching all of which stem from a series of traits. To coach sailing one needs to be spontaneous, aggressive, supportive, inspiring, organized but most importantly a leader.... [tags: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction: In this paper I critically reflect on five different self-assessments: locus of control (LOC), emotional intelligence (EI), listening self-inventory, team member type and conflict management. Throughout my discussion, I focus on their correlations and apply the gathered information to my work-life experiences. I will also provide a systematic assessment of each of these questionnaires. This evaluation will address any possible weaknesses I had found within the tests and prepare my final conclusions based upon those final educated results.... [tags: Self Reflection]
1757 words (5 pages)
- Individual Reflection for the Final Project. Throughout this term, my fellow classmates and I have had a chance to participate in a group project with two or three of our peers. The general topic was a vivid problem in a industry. Our class had a very wide and diverse sets of topics: from Styrofoam, to industrial hacking, to corruption in an influential international organization like FIFA, and so many more. Our group decided to develop a project named “Outsourcing and the price we pay for brands”.... [tags: Communication, Interpersonal communication]
1490 words (4.3 pages)
- 1. I had several early impressions of self. Occasionally I feel like I cannot control my words or actions as if they were out of my control. I believe this happens to everyone. For example, we do or say some words that we remorse. My assumption is we try to think before we speak, but that is not always the case. For the last several years, I have been trying to learn and take control of the event, and I failed so I blame myself. That causes me to have low self-esteem which usually puts me in a negative position.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship, Love]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Immersion Two My entire goal for the immersion activities that we have completed throughout the semester has been to learn more about Black people. Before this class started, I never realized just how egocentric and wrapped up in White privilege I was. I thought I knew what racism was and I knew that it still existed, but I never fully understood the definition of what it truly is and how prevalent it is in every aspect of our culture. Through our many readings in class, our discussions, self-reflecting when writing my Respectful paper earlier this semester, completing the IAT, and writing Immersion one I realized how uneducated I was and still am about the reality of Black lives.... [tags: White people, Black people, Race, South Africa]
1061 words (3 pages)
- Level 4A Reflection Paper Level 4A has allowed me the chance to engage in various clinical experiences that have helped master my nursing skills. This semester I was assigned to Select Specialty. This clinical site is specialized in caring for complex medical conditions, such as patients who were on mechanical ventilation equipment’s, complex wounds, cardiac diseases, prolonged surgical recovery, long-term IV antibiotics, patient requiring dialysis support, renal failure, pre and/or post-transplant, post injury, neurologic diseases, uncontrolled diabetes and infections disease.... [tags: Nursing, Nursing theory, Nursing care plan]
1491 words (4.3 pages)
- Reflection Paper Cornelia C. Welch-Dick University of Southern Mississippi Reflection Paper After a summer internship at a news station that was in direct correlation with my declared undergraduate major, I am anxious to begin focusing my work and study toward higher education student affairs. My experience this summer forced me to do some self-evaluation and assessment as far as my strengths, weaknesses, and what kind of environment I envision myself thriving in. My vision for my career is ever developing.... [tags: Graduate school, College]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Self-Reflection using Hays ADDRESSING Model Multicultural issues in the workplace manifest in different ways from communication style to political views. The purpose of this paper is to use Hays ADDRESSING model to reflect and evaluate multicultural issues in workplace, such as language diversity, political views, gender, and sexual orientation as it relates to professionalism, privilege, and personal bias. Reflection The Hays model acronym stands for age, disability, religion, ethnic/racial identity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, indigenous heritage, national origin, and gender (Hays, 2008, p.... [tags: Sociology, Psychology, Discrimination, Gender]
1232 words (3.5 pages)
- Primary and Backup Thinking Styles Introduction – Life Style Inventor (LSI) is a methodology that is used to measure about 12 specific styles of patterns of thinking that can either help or hinder a person from reaching his or her potential, It is organized into three general clusters as follows, constructive, passive/defensive, and aggressive/defensive. The objective of this paper is to compare my computer-simulated evaluation of my personal life style based on the 12 styles of pattern against my personal behavior in real life and be able to find synergy between the two, and work on the weak life style to be able to reach my potential personally and professionally.... [tags: Reflection]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- I have come to believe that the greatest achievement in learning is not how much information I have acquired, but learning and understanding the process used to acquire it. It is better to understand how I handle relationships than know how many I have. My personality and learning style directly impacts how I learn and how I interact with people. It goes far beyond and deeper than just a quick reflection of who we are. Our personality and learning style determines how we feel, interact, react, process information, how we think about ourselves and the list goes on.... [tags: Reflection ]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- The Enzymes Of Residues That Confer Sugar Specificity By Mutational And Structural Analysis
- The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part Time Indian
- Criminal Jurisdiction And Criminal Appeal
- The Testament Of The Minor Prophets
- Cultural Competence And The Health Care Scene
- My Personal Classroom Management Philosophy