Title: Reconstructive & Cosmetic Plastic Surgery: a Pro or a Con?
Introduction w/ thesis: Is it the bigger, perkier breasts, the taught tummy, the lifted butt, or the younger looking face that draws people to plastic surgery? Is it the cost, the pain, the perception of being “fake” because you got plastic surgery that pushes people away from wanting to get the surgery? Have you ever considered getting reconstructive or cosmetic plastic surgery? Are you for or against the surgeries? Plastic surgery should only be performed for medical reasons, such as a broken nose, embarrassing or unwanted scars from an accident, or a birth deformity, such as a cleft palate. People get plastic surgery because they want to be perfect in all aspects and improve their self-confidence.
What is Plastic surgery?: What is plastic surgery? According to the Merriam-Webster website, plastic surgery is, “a branch of surgery concerned with the repair, restoration, or improvement of lost, injured, defective, or misshapen parts of the body chiefly by transfer of tissue” (Para 2). This surgery usually consists of transferring tissues from other parts of the body to improve appearances, covering an unwanted scar, or filling an indentation. Many people who suffer from burns or are in car accidents and have severe scarring get plastic surgery to correct their imperfections. The Merriam-Webster website also states, “Reconstructive plastic surgery corrects severe functional impairments, fixes physical abnormalities, and compensates for tissue lost to trauma or surgery” (Para 3).
Types of Plastic Surgery: A large amount of people are not satisfied with the looks they are born with, which is why they get plastic surgery. According to Plastic Surgery Nut’s website,...
... middle of paper ...
...d and is unable to travel through your nose to your lungs or out to the world. Plastic surgery is often the answer to cases where people have been in severe accidents and have major wounds. People are embarrassed having huge scars or just don’t like the constant reminder of something bad that happened in the past. In order to correct that a skin graft can be done to cover up most of the damaged area. Plastic surgery helps improve how old you look on the outside. A face lift or even Botox can help to tighten any sagging or loose and unwanted skin.
Plastic surgery is perceived as not being safe, but with the advanced technology we have in our society today, we are able to accomplish such surgeries with an ease of mind that you will be ok throughout the surgery and will heal in no time. Some surgeries have even been performed by robots that are operated by surgeons.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hunter Reinhart Research Paper Writ 101 11.30.12 Title: Reconstructive & Cosmetic Plastic Surgery: a Pro or a Con. Introduction w/ thesis: Is it the bigger, perkier breasts, the taught tummy, the lifted butt, or the younger looking face that draws people to plastic surgery. Is it the cost, the pain, the perception of being “fake” because you got plastic surgery that pushes people away from wanting to get the surgery. Have you ever considered getting reconstructive or cosmetic plastic surgery. Are you for or against the surgeries.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Breast]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- Pros and Cons of Cosmetic Surgery Cosmetic Surgery is a great discovery that has been around for many centuries. “The history of plastic surgery origins in the early 800 B.C. when surgeons in India restored noses to persons who had them taken off as a form of punishment.” (History of Cosmetic Surgery, 2008) Many people have used over the years cosmetic and reconstructive surgery to enhance their physical appearance weather it be for health problems associated with birth defect or problems that they have developed over the years or to even alter physical appearances for instance nose jobs and tummy tucks.... [tags: Plastic Surgery Essays]
1529 words (4.4 pages)
- Reshaping Beauty Today’s news is always gossiping about “Who got the latest nose job,” and everyone at home is thinking plastic surgery is unnecessary. Although celebrities have taken plastic surgery to a whole new level, it does not mean it is unnecessary. Plastic surgery has spiked in the past few years for teenage girls. There are many examples of young teens going though plastic surgery for birth defects, breast reductions, and many more helpful procedures (The Nemours Foundation). Therefor plastic surgery is vital to teens by improving their self-esteem along with short and long term health.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- Everyone has had their own personal stories of the times that they have been bullied; this could be anywhere from being bullied by their siblings to being bullied at school for things that they do or how they look. In school now, children from the ages of 5 all the way up until they are 18 or older are getting bullied for the ways that they look. Children all throughout school had dreamt of the day where they could just take their defected body part off and just switch it with a new “normal” body part.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Reconstructive surgery, Surgery]
1199 words (3.4 pages)
- Plastic surgery is defined as the alteration, restoration, or reconstruction of the body by practitioners in the field. Although plastic surgery has many reconstructive procedures, society tends to focus on the cosmetic aspects of the field. The act of changing one’s “god given” appearance is looked upon with cold eyes by the general public and as an intern in a plastic surgery arts center, it is not uncommon to see women fidgeting in the lobby wondering if the doctor would be able to help them with their insecurities.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Plastic Surgery: An Annotated Bibliography “Cosmetic Surgery vs. Plastic Surgery.” American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016. While both cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery involve improving a patient’s body, the overall principles and philosophies guiding the training, research, and goals for a patient’s outcome differ. The procedures and techniques of cosmetic surgery are entirely based on enhancing a patient’s appearance. Key goals may include improving ascetic appeal, symmetry, and proportion.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1036 words (3 pages)
- 5 Reasons Plastic or Cosmetic Surgery is Right for You You are generally happy with how you look and feel, your self-esteem is positive, and you have a healthy outlook on life. Yet, with a small change in your appearance you know that you could look and feel even better. If this sounds like the way you would describe yourself, then you are the perfect candidate for cosmetic or plastic surgery. Plastic and cosmetic surgery can take years off your appearance, make positive changes in your physique, and even help improve your overall feeling of wellness.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Between celebrities, other socialites, and everyday people cosmetic surgery has become increasingly popular over the years. Everyday people have used cosmetic surgery to alter their appearance, whether it is to look like someone else or to look prettier and skinnier without a goal of being a look alike millions of people get these surgeries every year. Everyday people and celebrities alike as they age are getting cosmetic surgery to look as if they have not aged at all and to appear younger then they looked before.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Breast implant]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- Nowadays, doctors perform surgeries at a number of free-standing surgical centers instead of performing at hospitals. The best part is that these centers offer friendlier and welcoming settings for the patients to undergo the cosmetic treatment of their choice. If you are interested to learn more about the history of cosmetic treatments in humans, here is a brief overview. Plastic surgery in the past: • History suggests that cosmetic surgery procedures are in existence for centuries. The types of plastic surgery and augmentation procedures we see today were already used by surgeons back in the early 1800s.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
850 words (2.4 pages)
- Plastic surgery is something the Western society is very familiar with. Billions of dollars are spent every year on these types of procedures The oldest type of plastic surgery is reconstructive, it developed out of need to treat wounded soldiers during wartimes and help them recover after. This type of plastic surgery is used to rebuild severely fractured bones, skin grafting, and implanting prosthetics. Plastic surgery was then introduced to treat birth defects like clef lip, and remove skin blemishes.... [tags: cosmetic and reconstructive surgery]
1188 words (3.4 pages)