There were many reasons why my sister and I were opposed to this engagement. The main reason was the fact that she was from Spain. We both had seen one too many shows on mail order brides, Catfishing, and of course woman marrying for a Visa. We did not trust her from the start, and we especially did not trust her when she refused to FaceTime with my dad. When my dad decided to go to Spain, even though he had never seen her besides pictures, we thought he had officially lost it. I was almost certain that he was going to be kidnapped at the airport and his kidneys would be sold on the black market. When he got there and sent me a picture of them together I was in total shock. She looked exactly like her pictures and nothing she had told him was false. She showed him all around Spain, and when he got back he was on cloud nine. It seemed like everything that came out of his mouth for the next couple months was about his girlfriend, Kat.
Soon enough, Kat and her two daughters came to visit my dad. The first time I met them I was completely taken back at how tiny they were. They are all under five feet, even with heels on, and so I literally towered over them. Th...
... middle of paper ...
...ade the situation even a bigger deal. After about an hour and a half talk we all made our way back out to the dinner. Before I could sit down again, Kat grabbed my arm and pulled me to the back bedroom. She told me I was making a huge deal out of nothing and that her daughters have it so much worse but they are not back here crying about it. I listened to her chew me out, and held back all my snarky remarks. The second the conversation was over I pretty much sprinted out of the bedroom and went back to where everyone else was.
I stayed and ate dinner to be polite, but the whole time I was desperately looking for a good time to make my exit. After about 15 minutes I was able to book it out of there with almost no one noticing. My three hours of unwanted attention, -were definitely not pleasurable, but almost a month has passed, and thankfully has not been brought up.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- For the last thirteen summers, my dad and I have made our annual expedition to Versailles, Indiana, for a week, so that we can go camping with my dad’s three brothers, cousins, and their children, which is about 20 Graver men in all, at the same camp site that holds so many memories of years past events, and soon to be events. When we camp there are three procedures that we follow: we eat when we are hungry, we sleep when we are tired, and we must be at the campground pool at 11:00 a.m., so we can be in our traditional location.... [tags: Personal Experience, Personal Narrative]
2574 words (7.4 pages)
- My personal Statement The three most Important things in my life Have you ever dreaded the fact that you are going to college in a few months. Do you get nervous even thinking about college. Are you afraid that you won’t get in. Are you telling yourself that it won’t happen. Don’t be afraid of starting a new chapter in your life, because you will find what you’ll good at. College is scary for everyone when they first apply, or start their first day of school. People can be afraid to leave their home, because that’s where they have been for eighteen years.... [tags: Want, Need, WANT, Learning]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- My Personal Health My personal health has been something I constantly think about. Whether it’s myself, my parents, my doctor, or others that bring it up, I’m reminded that I need to eat healthier or exercise more, etc. I know that I need to get better about what I eat and try to work more exercise into my daily routine, I just find it hard to find the motivation to go and actually accomplish what I know that I need to do. Especially in today’s society where we’re surrounded by a lot of non-healthy food, and getting access to healthy food is more expensive than the latter, it’s hard to make the better choice and choose the healthy option.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Family, Health care]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- As an Eastern Michigan University student, I originally chose to take Interpersonal Communication to fill my general education requirements. However, sitting in the lectures and group sessions for the past few weeks made me realize theirs is more meaning to this class than just a few credits. Interpersonal Communications class is a chance to improve myself while enhancing my communication skills. Now I’ve focused my efforts in this class to goals set for myself and not just a good grade. I hope to learn more about how I communicate with myself and others, improve my openness with others, and improve my relationships with friends and family after taking Interpersonal Communications.... [tags: Communication, Interpersonal communication]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- Lynnsey Tabor was born on April 30th 2002. She had brown hair and blue eyes. When she was younger, she was the nicest and the sweetest girl without a care in the world. She was a lot like me. Always with the guys and hated the prissy girls. She would always go to her grandpa’s house on her dad’s side of the family and all of her cousins were boys. So, she would always do the things they did, such as Legos, batman, video games and Youtube. She was a lot like me in some of those ways. She’s my sister, we have the same biological mom.... [tags: Family, English-language films, Stepfamily]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Death, people are afraid of dying, me I was accustomed to death. my family owned a funeral home since they first came to america in the 1800s. It was a normal day at the funeral home, boring as all hell. One thing that you never really think about is what funeral homes do when they are not having funerals. The answer is paperwork, a lot of it, in fact. The paperwork usually ended up being me and mom doing paperwork and dad being the owner of the only funeral home in town was usually swamped with arrangements.... [tags: Death, Thought, Funeral, Funeral home]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Some might think that it’s Ironic that my last name is Hope knowing all of the struggles that I’ve been through in the last three years… “Could you bring her some water” my mom said to the waitress while gesturing to me. My family usually didn 't go out together due to our busy schedules but that day both my parents and my brother were present for the impromptu dinner. We were surrounded by smiling faces but i couldn 't help the feeling that something bad was going to happen. I came to the realization that both my parents didn 't say a word since we we 're seated and in that moment i knew we weren 't there for the delicious food, nice people, or thrill of watching a game at the sports bar,... [tags: Family, Emotion, High school, Bar]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Professional Development Paper While growing up, I had a wonderful family. We were a blended family but that only meant that there was more love to fill our hearts. In high school, my world fell apart and I had to choose to fall or fly. I was having to make decisions for two, and still being a teenager myself, I was faced with homelessness and trying to find steady employment. Sitting in my bedroom filled with teeny boppers paraphernalia, baby bottles, and my two-month old son, Avery, I made a choice, that I believe, effected the direction my life has gone.... [tags: Family, Mother, Father, Parent]
1293 words (3.7 pages)
- “You’re fat, ugly, stupid and I’m going to cut your face up. If anyone looks at you it’s because you’re so disfigured. You’re not even a whole woman anymore, no one will ever want you!” After 14 years of beatings, one night I woke up the girls we left and never went back. In high school I allowed a teacher make me feel so ashamed about being pregnant my senior year, I dropped out with a full scholarship to college. I gave it up because the first time I felt my baby move inside me I knew I couldn’t leave her, she felt like bubbles.... [tags: Full-time, Part-time, Lawyer]
1954 words (5.6 pages)
- Golf is a sport of confidence, honesty, and patience. It has taught me to practice these traits in my everyday life. I have more confidence in myself and I know that I will succeed. I am honest even when the truth hurts. I am patient with those around me no matter how annoyed I may be. My name is Evin Edens, and golf is my passion. I grew up at Ravenwood Country Club. I had the perfect life. My dad was a PGA golf professional and I got to use the club’s facilities whenever I pleased. However, there was one problem: I despised golf.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
880 words (2.5 pages)