In an article published by Y’All magazine, Author, Mereith Dabbs’ piece entitled “the Haunted South”, sets out to identify some haunted locations across the American South. This article seems more of an advertisement, but she cleverly adds some body to the sales pitch to create interest in the article. Dabbs opening statement is her thesis, “Spooks, haunts, spirits, apparitions, and ghosts…no matter what you call them, and they’re all just as mysterious and unexplainable…!” (p.1 2007). Essentially, the argument she has established is the probable existence of ghosts. The audiences for this article are mainly people with an interest in the American south, most notably people with a paranormal curiosity. She establishes credibility with the people who believe in the supernatural by providing locations to visit wh...
... middle of paper ...
...ide any true ghost stories. This article was
disappointing to read because the author tricks his audience into a certain realm only to switch gears and talk about something else.
Ghost stories have been around for generations and will remain for generations to come. Television is making ghost chasing a popular subject and a person can virtually plan a vacation at a haunted location having the opportunity to experience to witness paranormal activity.
Dabbs, Meredith. “The Haunted South”. Y’all (2007): 68-70.
Stoller, Gary. “More hotels across the USA embrace their ghost stories.” USA Today n.d:
Academic Search Premier. EBSCO Web. 6 Apr. 2011.
Vernon, Alex. "GHOST STORIES." American Heritage 53.5 (2002): 64. America: History &
Life. EBSCO. Web. 8 Apr. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “The strange thing about the paranormal is that no matter how often [a person proves] it, it remains unproven” (Chopra). Given personal experience and evidence by professionals that have dedicated their lives to find answers regarding the paranormal and the afterlife. There will always be skeptics so long as there are humans with their own thoughts and opinions. Despite what skeptics say,ghosts exist; there are several eyewitness accounts, religious traditions, and traditional cultural stories that support the paranormal.... [tags: Ghost, Paranormal, Ghost hunting, Ghost Hunters]
1996 words (5.7 pages)
- Whether we choose to believe in the paranormal or not, we all have to realize that there are many strange things that happen to all of us that are unexplainable. The history of paranormal existence has been around since the beginning of time. The paranormal is not what most people believe it is, “ghosts”. There is a wide range in what is considered paranormal. In order to understand the paranormal you must first understand the meaning of the word. The prefix “Para” means beyond and normal. This gets you the result of beyond normal.... [tags: paranormal studies, ghosts]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Ghost walks are the simplest and most frequently used type of ghost tour in the Great Lakes areas. Cleveland, OH and Chicago, IL frequently advertise guided city tours. “Haunted Cleveland Ghost Tours has been frightening patrons for the past 16 years. Cleveland has educated and scared patrons while touring the streets depicting stories of local legends, murder and mayhem” (Haunted Cleveland, par. 2). The tours stop at sites such as the Franklin Castle, Riverside cemetery, Playhouse Square, and Grey’s Armory.... [tags: Ghost, Paranormal, Ghost hunting, Haunted house]
1438 words (4.1 pages)
- What comes to mind when thinking about the phrase “ghost” stories. For many interested in items of pop culture, the visual interpretations of ghost stories that capture the horror and psychological thrilling motives like the movies Poltergeist, The Ring, or Paranormal Activity often find mention. These movies gain viewers because they lend a reference that demonstrates both their ability to become infamously loved and also make people terrified. Many of these same people also love these “ghost” stories because of their explanations of what happens to someone’s spirit after they die.... [tags: Literary Analysis]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Paranormal Activity is any activity that scientific evidence cannot prove (Svedholm, M. L., 2012). Svedholm (2012) stated that “Paranormal consists of two words: para and normal.” “Para” means against or outside. Therefore, paranormal activities are events that are outside normal activities. Svedholm’s (2012) provided a few examples of paranormal activities that consist of ghosts, extraterrestrial life, UFOs, and Cryptids. A ghost is a person’s spirit from his or her body and will continue after death.... [tags: paranormal activity, parapsychology]
1801 words (5.1 pages)
- We all have our beliefs of what lies beyond our current reality. No matter if we are; Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, Jewish, or Muslim. Our beliefs have the same general rule; If you lived well, you die well, live bad, you die bad. Though that is agreed upon by a substantial number of people, the reason for the results differ; Karma, being judged by a higher power, maybe even how we died is taken into account. If life after death is so cut and dry, so black and white, such an undisputed fact of "life"(excluding a few atheistic beliefs), under which circumstances do we become ghosts.... [tags: Supernatural]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- The debate about Ghosts and Paranormal activity has been long debated through out the world. Evidence has been found by Ghost Hunters, and Investigators proving that Ghost and the Paranormal does in fact exist. With the use of technology and years of first hand experience Investigators have been able to document and share that the world is not alone. We in fact are living among Ghosts and the Paranormal. “Ghost, according to tradition, is the spirit of a dead person that returns to the living world.... [tags: supernatural phenomena]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- The Haunted House This haunted house in Hagerstown was built long ago. It is the site of a most interesting ghost story, which happened to my friend’s friend’s grandmother. Now while I have heard many stories similar to this, I have never known someone to be involved in one and actually affected by it. My friend’s friend is a Caucasian, 17-year-old, female Christian from Hagerstown. Her dad is a postal worker, and her mother works for the government. The story takes place in the house her grandmother temporarily lived in as a child.... [tags: Urban Legend Ghost Stories]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- The Ghost of Devil's Den This ghost story was told by a nineteen-year-old Caucasian student at the University of Maryland. She is from the Baltimore Metro Area and lives with her mother and younger sister. I decided to approach her since she is a notorious lover of ghost stories and folklore. While we were hanging out with friends, I asked her to tell me a ghost story. As soon as I asked, her eyes lit up and she took me to the side, out of earshot of our friends. With great energy and enthusiastic facial expressions, she proceeded to tell me the following story about the Civil War site of the Battle of Gettysburg: My friend Carl was attending a reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg.... [tags: Ghost Stories Urban Legends Civil War]
891 words (2.5 pages)
- Paranormal activity dates back to the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. According to Triangle Paranormal Investigators (2000) “a predominant number of paranormal investigators were testing alleged psychics and mediums in order to debunk their claims of phenomenon” (p.1). The most paranormal activity stories are found in folklore, popular culture, and experience from individual people. The most influential paranormal investigator is Harry Price because of his experience with Borley Rectory which is the most haunted house in England.... [tags: paranormal activities, supernatural]
1799 words (5.1 pages)