There are boys and girls among us who walk around wearing masks of happiness. They plaster smiles on their faces and go about their lives as seemingly normal, outgoing teens. Have you ever considered the possibility that these same people could be empty inside, crying when no one is looking, and drowning in hopelessness? Of course, sadness is a normal part of life. But imagine feeling this pain everyday. Imagine feeling like you are in a glass tank full of water. You are drowning, but you can see everyone else around you breathing and going about their daily business. You know that your desperate cries for help are in vain because they are oblivious. This deadly illness is called depression, and, if left untreated, can lead to actions such as self-isolation and suicide. Over four-thousand teens commit suicide every year. Every single one of those suicides could have been prevented. Teens suffering from depression also have a tendency to inflict self harm on themselves, abuse drugs and alcohol, and struggle in academics. Due to these reasons, there needs to being a higher awareness of teen depression to prevent the short- and long-term effects.
Keeping up with school is hard enough when you include the coursework, homework, social events, and sports. But, what if you added another factor that was strong enough to drown your mind in endless emptiness? According to a study initiated by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), a federal agency created to research mental disorders, about ten percent of teens ages twelve to seventeen suffer from depression (Major….). Their memory and concentration could become impaired. Teens suffering from depression also could have an increased sensitivity to criticism, which...
... middle of paper ...
...at eighty to ninety percent of adolescents who sought out treatment for depression were successfully treating though therapy or medication. Because adult mental disorders develop during adolescence, seeking the help of a counselor could be life changing and life saving.
Depression is frequently downplayed as just rebellious teenage behavior, rather than a treatable illness. When left untreated, depression could have lifelong consequences. The family and friends of teenagers should help them seek treatment not only to help them now, but also to help the rest of their lives. Depression awareness needs to be increased to enlighten teenagers and people of all ages on the symptoms and effects of depression on people’s lives. We need to leave the “it’s just a phase” notion behind and move on to a perspective that will help thousands of teenagers suffering from depression.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Not Just a Phase There are boys and girls among us who walk around wearing masks of happiness. They plaster smiles on their faces and go about their lives as seemingly normal, outgoing teens. Have you ever considered the possibility that these same people could be empty inside, crying when no one is looking, and drowning in hopelessness. Of course, sadness is a normal part of life. But imagine feeling this pain everyday. Imagine feeling like you are in a glass tank full of water. You are drowning, but you can see everyone else around you breathing and going about their daily business.... [tags: Suicide, Adolescence, Major depressive disorder]
1047 words (3 pages)
- I am writing to you with utter frustration about the concept of phase. In audio, this word describes the alternating current that cycles creating the sound which is reproduced through loudspeakers. It can be measured at different points and is expressed with degrees. For example, the start of a phase cycle would be 0 degrees, the highest point of phase would be 90 degrees, the lowest point described as 180 degrees and a complete cycle as 360 degrees. When I say cycles of phase I am using 360 degrees to label a full come-around because each cycles in succession tells us what pitch we are hearing.... [tags: Meaning of life, Life, Thought, Wave]
772 words (2.2 pages)
- At present, the research on the phase change fabric mainly focuses on two aspects (i) ways to load PCM on the fabric or the fiber and effect of the phase change clothes on human thermal sensation. The methods of loading PCM on the fabric or the fiber mainly include the hollow fiber filling method, the composite spinning method, and microcapsule method; fabric finishing can also yield fabric containing PCMs. In the 1970s and 1980s, Vigo et al. filled the solvent with dissolved CO2, the inorganic salts with crystal water, and polyethylene glycol (PEG) into the hollow part of the hollow fiber, affording temperature-adaptable fibers with heat absorption/release function.... [tags: Heat, Heat transfer, Temperature, Thermodynamics]
1401 words (4 pages)
- There are a total of four phases in the Adlerian Play Therapy where the importance varies from stage to stage. This applies to the roles played by the Adlerian Play Therapist as well. As the therapist goes from one stage to another stage, the roles changes according to the stages they are in. In the first phase of Adlerian Play Therapy, relationship is the central issues. Therapist needs to build an equitable relationship with the child. Therefore the central role of the therapist in this phase will be a partner or an encourager (Kottman, 2011).... [tags: Psychology, Play therapy, Play]
1911 words (5.5 pages)
- In any project, the different parties must communicate with each other. Whether it be designer to contractor or CDM to client. There are to pathways to follow. These relate to different types of projects. They can either be non-notifiable or notifiable; Notifiable projects are those which last more than 30 days or involve more than 500 person-days of construction work. Cooperation, coordination and communication are key. They contribute to either the success or downfall of a project/building. In notifiable projects, there are a number of close relationships.... [tags: Construction, Project management, Project]
1563 words (4.5 pages)
- M phase of the cell cycle is where most of the reorganisation takes place so that all of the cells components are moved around. As a cell enters M phase it has two possible fates: the first one is to enter mitosis to produce two diploid genetically identical daughter cells, the second one is to enter meiosis to produce four haploid genetically non-identical daughter cells (Cooper, 2000). There are many similarities and differences between the two that will be covered in this essay. Mitosis is a vital process to ensure the growth and development of an organism and this lasts for about an hour.... [tags: Mitosis, Cell cycle, Meiosis, Chromosome]
1100 words (3.1 pages)
- The strategic formulation and planning phase is of great importance. This current event blog describes why the strategic formulation and planning phase is important and discusses a major strategic effort in a particular company; that is, Coca-Cola Company. The reason for the strategic effort, which was a global marketing campaign, is discussed. Lastly, the strategic planning lessons that would be learned from the Coca-Cola 's strategic marketing campaigns are described. The strategic formulation and planning phase is important because the company 's management uses this phase to decide the most appropriate course of action for attaining the objectives and goals of the company and thus accomp... [tags: Coca-Cola, The Coca-Cola Company, Diet Coke]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction: Chemical equilibrium is a crucial topic in Chemistry. To represent and model equilibrium, the thermodynamic concept of Free energy is usually used. For a multi-component system the Gibbs free energy is a function of Pressure, Temperature and quantity (mass, moles) of each component. If one of these parameters is changed, a state change to a more energetically favorable state will occur. This state has the lowest free energy. When the free energy of all states are equal to each other, the system is at equilibrium.... [tags: Chemistry]
2006 words (5.7 pages)
- Communication of Safety in the Design Phase Ineffective management practices, particularly in the design phase, have been identified as a prime cause of the unacceptable accident and occupational health record of the construction industry. The Construction (Design & Management) Regulations requires designers to identify, reduce and control risks to the workforce. However, for many designers the adoption of such practices is still unfamiliar and there is little information on procedures or best practices.... [tags: Papers]
4574 words (13.1 pages)
- Implementation Phase The goal of the implementation phase is to implement a system correctly, efficiently, and quickly on a particular set or range of computers, using particular tools and programming languages. The implementation stage is primarily environmental and works with the realities of particular machines, system, language compilers, tools, developers, and clients necessary to translate a design into working code. Just as the design phase may include some analysis efforts approached from a computational standpoint, the implementation phase essentially always includes design efforts.... [tags: Business System Efficiency]
1160 words (3.3 pages)