Getting around New York City is very easy and convenient, with a handful of different ways to get from one location to another. The Big Apple has the world’s largest subway system, with hundreds of stations that are spread across the five boroughs. The subway is one of the cheapest forms of transportation and lets riders pay one price and get off when they please. Buses in the city also work the same way as the subway. In addition to many forms of public transportation, many choose to take on the city by foot. “New York is the most walkable large city in the US with 8,175,133 residents” (New York Neighborhoods on Walk Score). New York City’s grid like streets make it very easy to navigate around the city. Being able to walk to their destination instead of taking a form of public transportation saves an individual a great deal of money over time. For example, if someone were to take a tax...
... middle of paper ...
...ion category (Most Polluted Cities). Ozone is the polluted form of oxygen that is not good for the human body. Particle pollution consists of the little particles that enter the body and wreak havoc on the lungs over time. On top of all of this, Los Angeles is completely surrounded by faults. These faults are what leads to earthquakes. It is predicted that the L.A. area is going to experience a major earthquake in the future since the last major one occurred many years ago. These factors highly impact the well-being of its citizens and puts them in danger.
New York City and Los Angeles are two big cities with totally different characteristics. Compared to NYC, L.A. does not compete when it comes to getting around, crime and well-being. When choosing where to live, New York is the better choice because it gives its residents an overall more comfortable and safe life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Los Angeles and New York are both great places to live in and to visit on a vacation. This two cities have never really seen each other eye to eye by the people who live there. The cities being on opposite sides of the United States doesn’t help the situation, its west coast and east coast rivalry. These cities have a rivalry that has gone on for so long it astonished me deeply. The history behind both cities are very similar, but very different all at the same time. First thing that L.A. and N.Y.... [tags: New York City, Los Angeles, New York]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- I 've moved a few times; from Brazil to Connecticut, from Connecticut to NYC, to a million different residence halls, but one thing I 've never done is pack my crap up and move across the country carrying only things that could fit in a medium-sized carry on. It 's been six months since the cross-country move, and I find myself combing through the jumbled cultures of different areas and groups of people; this place is pretty extreme. Either extremely beautiful or hideous, Los Angeles is known for it 's glitz and glam, its beautiful people, and being the home to milliards of production lots.... [tags: New York City, Los Angeles, Entrepreneurship]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- The film West Side Story was released on September 15, 1989. It was directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins. The lead actors are Natalie Wood as Maria, Richard Beymer as Tony, Russ Tamblynas Riff, Rita Moreno as Anita, and George Chakiris as Bernardo. This film fits under the genres of both romance and drama. The movie starts with a brawl between the Jets, an American gang, and the Sharks, a Puerto Rican gang. After the policeman, Officer Krupke, breaks up the fight, the Jets plan to have a rumble with the Sharks in order to regain dominance over the streets of New York.... [tags: Gang, Los Angeles, New York City, Crime]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Urban Planning in Los Angeles In this paper, we will discuss Planning management system in Los Angeles Planning control institutional subsystem Las Angeles is one of those cities of California, which have an active governing system. Mayor is the administrator of this town, so Los Angeles city has strong mayor-council structure. Mayor is responsible for the appointment of Director of planning in the city, who leads the department of city planning in Los Angeles. City planning department of Los Angeles founded in 1941.... [tags: City, Urban planning, Los Angeles, Lewis Mumford]
1036 words (3 pages)
- =Gang Violence in California The City of Los Angeles is the “gang capital” of the nation. There are more than 450 active gangs in the City of Los Angeles. Many of these gangs have been in existence for over 50 years. These gangs have a combined membership of over 45,000 individuals. Gang violence has for a long time been a major issue. Now it may not be as bad as it was back in the 90’s when it really first surfaced but gang violence is still a critical issue. A place where gang violence has really been an issue is none other than the state of California.... [tags: Crime, Gang, Los Angeles, Criminology]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- Los Angeles; A Diverse Metropolis People always wonder why the City of Angels is different from other cities. This paper will answer this question and explain the uniqueness that makes L.A., “L.A.” Los Angeles, since its birth as an embryonic city, has become one of the most diverse metropolises, offering to the public what no other city can. This paper will emphasize the relationship between the federal government and the western United States. It will also illustrate how capitalism has flourished because of the prevalent 19th century Laissez Faire ideology.... [tags: L.A. LA Los Angeles California Essays]
2041 words (5.8 pages)
- New York City, the city of dreams and high expenses. That’s one of the things I have taken away from reading the census data and Florida’s Cities and the Creative Class. What is humorous to me is that the idea of how much residential places cost and how much space you get for the price leaves me wondering why New York City has the majority of the highest percentage of people living in the city with creative careers. However, I shouldn’t be the one questioning anything because here I am in New York City paying so much more for an education here than I would have paid at the other schools I got into.... [tags: New York City, Global city, United States, Toronto]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- Los Angeles was the first product off the assembly line of American urban planning. Turned on in the late 19th century, the city-making machine was fueled by an immense immigration of people who sought to create a new type of city out of the previously quaint pueblo. They also strove to craft the first major city developed primarily by Americans and outside of European archetypes. As a result, Los Angles is not only incredibly diverse, but also nearly impossible to define. Since it is a product of the American machine, understanding the community of Los Angeles becomes vital to understanding the United States.... [tags: Urban Planning, Informative, History]
1770 words (5.1 pages)
- Los Angeles is a city with a large population which consists of a substantial number of immigrants. A wide range of immigrants from around the world have settled in Los Angeles making it one of the most diverse cities in this country. Many citizens of Los Angeles have strong arguments on whether or not an immigration reform is beneficial or if it is going to harm the city and its residents. The topic of immigration is of great importance because it is an issue that Los Angeles has experience for several of years and will continue in many more to come if action is not taken.... [tags: Immigration]
1464 words (4.2 pages)
- Old Chinatown of Los Angeles Chinese first established their community in Los Angeles at today's El Pueblo Historical Monument. About two hundred settled by the year 1870. This number gradually increased over the years when the Southern Pacific began to construct a railroad from San Francisco in the 1870s. They were farm laborers, servants, road builders and small shopkeepers. Even with heavy discrimination during this time, Chinese held a dominant economic position in the Los Angeles laundry and produce industries for several years.... [tags: Chinese China History Essays]
1422 words (4.1 pages)