Ohio state laws define a sex offender as one of three: a person who committed a sexually oriented crime, a habitual sexual offender, or a sexual predator. All sex offenders are required by law to notify the State Bureau of Criminal Investigations or local Sheriff Offices within three days of entering any county or changing their address. Sexual offenders are required to submit their fingerprints, photo, DNA, vehicle information, and criminal history. Certain individuals are eligible for a written notice about all sexual predators and habitual sexual offenders. Those individuals are local law enforcement patrons, all residents within 1000' of the offender's residence; the director of the public children services agency; the superintendent of each board of education of a school district; the director of each preschool program, and the administrator of each child day care center. These regulations, as harsh as they may seem, were creat...
... middle of paper ...
..." Human Rights Watch | Defending Human Rights Worldwide. Web. 26 Nov. 2011.
"'America's Worst Pedophile'? - The Week." The Week Magazine: Political News and Cartoons, Current Events and Entertainment Online. Web. 27 Nov. 2011.
Hall, Gordon C. "Sexual Arousal as a Function of Physiological and Cognitive Variables in a Sexual Offender Population." Archives of Sexual Behavior 1991st ser. 20.4 (1991): 359-69. Web. 27 Nov. 2011.
Marshall, W. L., and H. E. Barbaree. "An Outpatient Treatment Program for Child Molesters." Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences Article First 528.1 (2006): 203-14. Web. 27 Nov. 2011.
"Ohio State Sex Offender Registration and Community Notification." Klaaskids Foundation for Children. Web. 26 Nov. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sex is every where these days. Whether it’s a sexual act, phrase, or action, sex has consumed most of our society. Consequentially it has begun to affect many younger children negatively. Whether there is a sexual act on TV, in video games, or within the media, it’s broadcast-ed for pretty much anyone to see anywhere. In most cases, it ends up being seen by the wrong audiences. These images are being seen by younger and younger generations of children; what may not be seen as harmful, but are indeed leading to harmful acts by curious minds.... [tags: Sex Crimes, argumentative, persuasive]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- The Initiative I have chosen to talk about is the Three Strikes Law Repeat Felony Offenders Penalties, Proposition 36. This proposition was introduced on the November 6, 2012 ballot as an initiated state stature, where it was approved with a 69.30% standing in the state of CA. This proposition was set up to modify the elements in California’s “Three Strikes” Law, which was approved by the state’s voters in 1994 through proposition 184. There are 24 other states that have some form of the Three Strike type law in effect as of today.... [tags: proposition 36, sentences, offence]
1418 words (4.1 pages)
- Introduction When a dog viciously attacks a small child and scars the child for life, dog is euthanized because of the trauma it causes. If we are putting down dogs for attacking children, why are we not doing the same thing for sex offenders. Child sexual abuse is defined as “the activity between adults and minors or between two minors when one forces the act on the other. This includes sexual touching, exposure to pornography, photography of a child for sexual gratification, solicitation of a child for prostitution, and communication in a sexual way by phone, internet or face-to-face”.... [tags: child molestation and pornography]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- Stop the Harassment of Sex Offenders People shied away from him, as people often do when confronted with a powerful stench. Jesse could not help it, hygiene was not so high on his list of priorities, finding food and shelter were a bit more important. He could not find employment even though he was hardworking and educated. Jesse wanted to work, and as a college graduate, he should have ample opportunity to do so. However, Jesse's life had taken a severe downturn. Shortly after graduation, he met a girl at a bar who was willing to 'celebrate' with him.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- In Texas, May 2012 a repeat child sex offender Craig Stephen Hoard was handed seven life sentences. Hoard was convicted of indecency in 1977 and was released for parole from prison in February 2001. Seven days later he was convicted for sex with a child. He served nine years in state prison. Three months after his release from his nine year sentence in 2010 he was arrested again. In June 2010, Police arrested Hoard, finding child porn on his computer and iPod. A video of Hoard was found of him in a restroom stall at a pizza place in Conroe instructing a five year old to expose his genitals.... [tags: child sexual abuse, greatest benefits]
1979 words (5.7 pages)
- Abstarct It is questioned whether psychopathy is has an impact or has an effect on military sexual assault. For this study, the study eligibility criteria are the characteristics military sex offenders obtain which are also the same characteristics psychopaths obtain. The overall study includes the characteristics of people who are considered to be diagnosed with psychopathy verses the characteristics of a person who is a sex offender in the military. This study will show that psychopathy does have an impact or effect on military sex offenders.... [tags: Personality Disorder, Military Sex Offenders]
2368 words (6.8 pages)
- Punishment of Offenders According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, in the year 1980 we had approximately 501,900 persons incarcerated across the United States. By the year 2000, that figure has jumped to over 2,014,000 prisoners. The current level of incarceration represents the continuation of a 25-year escalation of the nation's prison and jail population beginning in 1973. Currently the U.S. rate of 672 per 100,000 is second only to Russia, and represents a level of incarceration that is 6-10 times that of most industrialized nations.... [tags: Papers]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- When the criminal justice system was established, one of the goals was to create neutrality and fairness between the sexes. However, during those times, women were not known for behaving in such manners. If a woman did in fact take part in any criminal activities, those crimes would have been blames on an individual that could of not fought for themselves. Even though people might believe that there is no such thing as ‘stereotyping’ in the criminal justice system, it is quite obvious that women are constantly being looked down upon because of their sex.... [tags: neutrality, fairness, stereotypes]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- ... For example, 80% of offenders who were sentenced in the past 6 years have received a custodial sentence (Facts Sheet: Statistics about Sexual Assault, 2014). The average sentence was 4 years, 6 months to 5 years, 6 months. The middle ground was 5 years. On average, sentences for convicted sex offenders can range anywhere from just 12 months to as long as 20 years. Anyone who has been the victim of sexual assault would probably say that even 20 years is not enough; and castration might seem to be the best form of punishment for their assaulter.... [tags: alternative sexual offenders punishment]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Life after Prison When most people think of individuals that have been labeled sex offenders in their area, there is not much remorse or empathy felt toward them. All sex offenders are characterized as child molesting sex enthusiasts when in reality, that’s not always factual. When a person commits a crime qualifying them as a federal sex offender, their life has changed forever in the worst way. The magnitude of the crime has been almost always irrelevant and treatment is level in the eyes of the law.... [tags: Sex offender, Sex offender registration]
1572 words (4.5 pages)