As well as having seemingly specific racial, ageist, and gendered norms at play, there appear to be divisions between the people who call themselves “foodies” as well, and this is what I will be trying to delve into with my research. I believe that this research provides information on the affordances of Instagram and the ways in which people are using this technology. I also believe that this research matters because it allows for the expansion of previous research done on food bloggers on sites such as Wordpress and Tumblr, because social media and the ways in which people share information are con...
... middle of paper ...
As I began my research, the most difficult decisions were regarding where I would begin this journey. I started by creating my own foodie account on Instagram. By doing this, I would be placing myself as a part of the community, and not as just an outsider. After creating my profile, I had to come up with what I would put in the “information section” of my account: would I leave it blank, or what information could I put that would allow myself to be included in this community without too many ethical problems? After looking at other popular foodie accounts and after much time and deliberation, I decided on this biography: “Vegan, food-lover, and conducting research on foodies. NYU. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org --- I am @suuuperalex”. It clearly stated who I was, how others could reach me, and my purpose for creating the account without being seen as an outsider.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I learned that Science is filled with human values, and it matters to me because it means that Science is not broken. No, science is not broken. People are. Following one of my weird rational lines, I recognize how science and society share a relationship between transmitted values and the results we expect from science. The majority of psychology and biomedical researches cannot be replicated because their results are not true at all, P-values are being played as a puzzle, and scientists are just accommodated, working in appearances and developing money.... [tags: Sociology, Society, Science, Philosophy of life]
1351 words (3.9 pages)
- Blogging and Politics It was a dark and stormy Tuesday night, but thank God my electricity was not out for if it were, I would be banned from my only happiness: the BLOG RING. I signed on to the internet with trepidation yet excitement. After going through the usual hoops to gain access to my haven and signing in passwords and usernames here and there, I finally reached the world of internet communication and sharing of ideas: free speech at its most liberal.... [tags: Internet Web Blogging]
1546 words (4.4 pages)
- ... If American magazines displaying American cultures were to dominate magazine sales in Canada, it would indisputably take away and reduce the amount of income that Canadian magazines could profit from. By adding taxation on foreign magazines, Canada, in turn, made their domestic magazines cheaper in comparison for consumers to buy. In this way, they could potentially obtain improved sales. It is plausible that Canadian magazines urged the government to adopt particular laws and taxes to persuade Canadian consumers to buy their publications.... [tags: Canada, First Nations, Magazine]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- ... 98.5% of Delta’s carbon footprints are from jet fuel and are the biggest source of carbon emissions. To improve its sustainability it partnered with the Nature Conservancy and is ordering more environmental friendly planes and looking for other ways to promote alternative energy ("Carbon Emissions Calculator," 2015). It’s always looking for new ways to be better for the environment through recycling operational waste, alternatives for fuel, and creating opportunities for its employees and customers (Environmental Sustainability,”2015).... [tags: Airline, Delta Air Lines, Avianca]
711 words (2 pages)
- ... They were once really popular, but as I watch society fly by me, everyone is on their phone. The obsession with one’s phone can be written in a series of books. It is that bad for society, but with modern day technology magazines have moved to a tablet or iPhone. Who knows if this will work, maybe is having or hasn’t. This step is so important to the success (what little success that they have) of the magazine. I do know imagine around much longer, but let’s take an in depth look at the real numbers to see where this industry is headed.... [tags: Advertising, Magazine]
702 words (2 pages)
- ... And be sure to request a map so you know exactly what each local territory includes. For Businesses on a Really Tight Budget Even though advertising in the local sections of national magazines can be far more affordable than many would assume, there are still those businesses who are on an extremely tight advertising budget. How can these local owners leverage the power of magazine advertising. A great option is to advertise in free magazines that you often find in grocery stores and other merchant’s establishments.... [tags: Advertising, Magazine, Publication]
708 words (2 pages)
- ... • U.S. airports support over 61.2 billion revenue ton-miles (RTM) of transported freight. • Over 830 million passengers take flights in U.S. airspace, which is approximately $1145 billion RTM. • Commercial airline operations supported over $260 billion of visitor expenditures on goods and service. • The civil aviation industry supports roughly 11.8 million jobs and $1.5 trillion in total economic activity…” with the 5-year index below shows a 40% growth in last 2 years in the S&P 500’s performance (Investing Insights, 2015).... [tags: Airline, Avianca, Delta Air Lines]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- ... From a young age I always gravitated to the woman in those magazines, but now that I have grown it has become apparent that I will never look like that, at least not naturally. A standard can be created between oneself when all that she can compare herself too is a model. As previously stated, most of the magazine titles start with common issues woman may face, this being so, catches many of their attention. Previously, while walking through my local grocery I noticed the headline which dealt with the basic famous stars and husband but in subtitles reach towards things like “how to get him to notice you” and “new tricks to improve your look”.... [tags: Woman, English-language films, Magazine]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- ... There is a decent amount of the older generation that is against people of the LBGT community and there is only a small amount that can be done to combat that. This is why teaching in school, enforcing rules, and being upfront about these types of circumstances is crucial in ending the epidemic of suicide caused by bullying. It is completely unacceptable to make another person feel like less of one because you do not agree with an aspect of their life. Think of it this way – we all have mannerisms about us.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, Suicide, Sexual intercourse]
1203 words (3.4 pages)
- Lines and Shadows by Joseph Wambaugh Abstract Lines and Shadows, by Joseph Wambaugh, tells the story of a group of regular San Diego street cops assigned to a task force designated to stop the victimization of illegal aliens by bandits in a hellish no-man's land near the Mexico-United States border. The officers soon realize the issue may be too big for regular street cops such as themselves, and many must deal with the psychological, emotional, and social conflicts caused and manifested by the events that occur during their mission.... [tags: Lines Shadows Wambough Analysis]
1527 words (4.4 pages)