It was Franklin in 1744-1750, who first carried out experiments on lightning . From then on significant studies have been made in the past years that paved way to new techniques and products that ensures proper insulation coordination at all the levels of electric power engineering. The electrical systems and apparatus are exposed to danger zone when these lightning come across their insulation. If the strength of the lightning is greater than the insulation strength, a puncture or flashover occurs. If the flashover is struck only in the outside of the insulation, the outage is very short. Longer and expensive outages occur when the internal insulation is punctured. So all the electrical apparatus insulation has to be designed to withstand the lightning voltage before put to commissioning. 
Lightning strokes impinging on the electrical overhead lines have very high amplitude, maybe of the order of 1000Kv or more accompanies by travelling waves. The insulation strength of the line limits the wave amplitude. The voltage rise rate is very fast with slow damping rate. The dangerously high voltage levels might badly stress the insulation...
... middle of paper ...
... timing specifications and characteristics were obtained. The expected waveform plot and timing specifications are calculated. Some switching impulse testings were also done and was so far successful in obtaining the output, but still some inconsistencies play around in the testing phase.
The quality time and effort invested for this project has provided in depth understanding of the impulse generator. The potential of Matlab as a simulation tool was used to its fullest all throughout this project.Intially, while undertaking this project, to design and code a GUI was the only objective. But later on, the the focus was turned on to attaining a higher level of accuracy for the results obtained. For that more critical assessment of the mathematical models was done prior to the testing phase.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Warrehn Desilva 7823848 CLAS 2520 The Lightning Thief Rick Riordan’s, The Lightning Thief combines many prominent myths, such as the myth of Perseus, and the adultery of Ares and Aphrodite to create a very interesting ‘rising action’ however, to increase realism and historical relevance certain aspects of these myths have been modified. For example, following the Furies’ attack upon the tour bus, Annabeth, Grover and Percy take refuge in ‘Aunty Em’s Garden Emporium’. When they enter the statue filled building they are greeted by a veiled Middle Eastern woman who offers them food and drink.... [tags: The Lightning Thief, Pegasus, Zeus, Medusa]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Rasoph Green is a proposed start-up company that will be based in Lagos Nigeria. It will deliver innovative, affordable and efficient energy solutions. Rasoph Green’s flagship product the iGen® is an intelligent hybrid electric generator system, targeted at the Nigerian market, with a focus on alleviating the problem of unstable public power supply and high pollution levels of traditional gasoline generators typically used by Nigerian households and small businesses. Nigeria’s power production capacity does not meet the country’s demand for power , leading to poor power availability and frequent power interruptions in most parts of the country.... [tags: Electrical generator, Electricity]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- Lightning can be defined as a transient, high current electric discharge whose path length is generally measured in kilometers. Lightning occurs when some region of the atmosphere attains an electric charge sufficiently large that the electric fields associated with the charge cause electrical breakdown of the air. However lighting has been reported in snowstorms, sandstorms, in clouds over erupting volcanoes, and been reported to occur in the clear air. Such lightning can take place entirely within a cloud (intra cloud), between two clouds, between cloud and the earth, or between a cloud and the surrounding air.... [tags: lightning physics]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- Description: Recently returned from my Christmas break, I participated in the Simulation day at Blackpool Hospital. Once at the training centre, we were given an outline and introduction to the simulation training. We were given a refreshment course on the basic life support where we could ask questions, which helped prepare us for the simulations. Following this we were split in groups and completed our first scenario. The simulation was conducted in front of the instructors and our peers who were hidden behind a one way mirror.... [tags: Communication, Better, Improve, Simulation]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- Visual Analysis Essay “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief” “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief”, is a movie adaptation of the similarly titled novel “The Lightning Thief”, written by Rick Riordan. This movie was directed by Chris Columbus and was not well-received during the time in which it was released, due to its substantial differentiation from the novel. Throughout this film, it is clearly made evident that there are several differences between this film adaptation and the original novel that this movie was based upon.... [tags: Greek mythology, The Lightning Thief]
1043 words (3 pages)
- In ancient times, lightning was seen as a tool of the gods. In Viking legend, it was Thor’s hammer striking an anvil in the sky that was responsible for lightning. For the Greeks, it was Zeus who threw lightning down to the earth. North American Indian tribes thought that lightning was produced by a mystical bird with flashing feathers whose flapping caused thunder. Even now, hundreds of years after the first scientific work with lightning, people remain in awe of its power. In the 18th century, the first systematic scientific study of lightning was carried out by Benjamin Franklin.... [tags: physics lightning thunder weather]
1382 words (3.9 pages)
- Designing a Random Number Generator Introduction Random Number Generator is a computational routine or a physical device that produces numbers which don’t have any pattern in them. Although using computational algorithms involves adding pattern to the resulting sequence of numbers. We focussed on generating uniformly distributed random numbers between (0,1) since the same distribution can be used to get numbers from different ranges. We all know that LCG is well known method for giving a sequence of randomized numbers using linear equation but it still has some issues.... [tags: computational routine, physical device]
2071 words (5.9 pages)
- Business Regulation Simulation: Alumina Inc. Alumina is a 4 billion dollar aluminum manufacturer based in the US. Although the company operates out of 8 different countries, 70% of Alumina's sales derive from the US market. Five years ago, during a regular compliance inspection, Alumina was found to be in violation of environmental discharge norms due to high levels of PAH (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon). Following this discovery, the EPA ordered a clean up and Alumina was found to be in compliance during subsequent inspections.... [tags: Business Regulation Simulation Analysis]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- Abstract The simulation exercise consisted of a scenario in which the student was to be a manager at an up and coming facility. There were 3 sets of tasks to be accomplished, and the results of the student's choices given immediately to the student. Each choice affected the outcome in some way, whether positive or negative. Simulation Paper Upon completion of this exercise, I discovered how truly difficult it is to make managerial decisions. The adage "You can never please everyone all of the time" holds true.... [tags: Manager Management Simulation Exercise]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- INTRODUCTION I remember when I was a young child; I would always be scared whenever there was a severe storm outside that included thunder and lightning. This was especially true in the hours of darkness, when you could really see the lightning. As I grew older this so-called fear of lightning turned into a fascination for this weather phenomena. One of my most vivid memories of lightning as a young man was when I was flying to Florida, the plane was at an altitude above a thunderstorm, that was producing heavy lightning, watching the flashing of the lightning popping off as we flew above the clouds, it was one of the most amazing and beautiful things I have ever seen.... [tags: Meteorology]
1967 words (5.6 pages)