A few years ago my husband Ryan and I decided to get a dog. For several weeks we made trips to the Regina Humane Society, waiting to find the perfect dog for us. We never even entertained the idea of buying a pure bred. I didn't want to buy a pet from someone who breeds dogs for profit when there are so many homeless dogs in need of a second chance.
One day when I was on www.kijiji.com I saw an ad for two free Old English Sheepdogs. What made this ad unique was the line stating that the dogs were blind due to unfortunate breeding circumstances. Ryan and I considered adopting one of these dogs, we liked the idea of giving a good home to an animal that couldn't see. It wasn't until a few days later that I really thought about the term “unfortunate breeding circumstances”.
I was in a local pet store buying food for my cat when I started discussing my potential new pet with the shop owner. He informed me that some people try to breed dogs with specific desired traits in mind. In this case it could have led to inbreeding and there was a chance that the dogs would have temperament issues as well. I felt bad for the dogs but I didn't feel comfortable a large dog that could have temperament problems.
Because there are some irresponsible breeders, animals are born with disabilities and perfectly good pets are filling humane societies. These animals could ...
... middle of paper ...
...a dog's third most important sense and they can live a happy and complete life without it.
Fergus has been a great addition to our family. We've had to put in some work to get things right, but I can't imagine giving up on him. If more people would be willing to put a little work into a relationship with their pet, there would be fewer abandoned animals at the humane society. If fewer people supported backyard breeders the demand would be eliminated. Dogs show their families so much love and devotion, it would be nice if everyone could return these sentiments to their deserving companions.
Cowan, Pamela. "Time Is Running Out For Some." Regina Sun 24 Jan. 2010: 6. Print. Photo by Roy Antal
Harroway, Donna . "Cyborgs to Companion Species: Reconfiguring Kinship in Technoscience." English 387 Course Pack. Regina: Professor J. Battis, 2009. 304-311. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dogs are very common in the world we know today. Many households have one or more. Dogs are trained to be pets. Not only trained to be pets, dogs are also trained for work. Dogs are getting used more and more in our work environment. House dogs can also be considered a working dog depending on why the dog is there. There are many jobs for dogs. Dogs make a big impact on our working and social lives. There are many different types of work dogs. Some types of work dogs also have different jobs for which they are trained for.... [tags: Training Work Dogs]
2808 words (8 pages)
- Thousands of homeless animals are looking for forever homes in America. Volunteering is a great way to give to your community and socialize the animals at the shelters. Working with dogs and cats that have not had good starts in their lives helps them trust again. It helps animals get over the trauma they have had before they went to the shelter. Socializing makes the animal more adoptable and they are given a chance to get forever homes. Volunteer at your local humane society 's and help out the animals like I have worked with in shelters.... [tags: Dog, Neutering, Pet, The Animals]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Cats and dogs are seen to be the most popular household pets in the world. Because of their popularity, people would always compare these two pets to each other. But which makes a better pet. I used to have cats when I was a kid and I had a lot of them. I also had a dog, a family dog, but he stayed outside and I did not really pay attention to him. My cats died when I was nine or ten. I got tired of taking care of them so I stopped adopting one. I didn’t really know the differences between cats and dogs until I had my own dog.... [tags: popular household pets]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Dogs, without a doubt, are better than cats. For thousands of years this point has been proven, time and time again. We hear about amazing things that dogs do everyday for people across the globe, but the question is, what do you hear about cats. The fact of the matter is, cats suck. Cats have been and always will be selfish, arrogant, greedy, and self centered jerks. Dogs, however, will continue to forever be loyal, devoted, true, and selfless. While both cats and dogs have their own purposes in life, whether it be love or playfulness, dogs portray what the definition of a true best friend is, and cats portray what the perfect enemy is, terrible and atrocious.... [tags: Cat, Predation, Love, Theobromine poisoning]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- Why Dogs Are Better Pets than Cats We’ve all seen moments on media where a child gets a pet as a present. The pleasure of getting a pet as a gift is often touching and sometimes ends with tears of joy. Being able to grow up with the pet is often a emotional roller coaster. Treating the pet as if it was another human being like watching television together, playing outside on the field, or just eating dinner as a family are memories we can cherish as they grow up. Although, in terms of being able to connect with the animal emotionally and physically; we can definitely see many reasons as to why a dog is a much better pet then a cat.... [tags: Pet, Dog, Labrador Retriever, Predation]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- The grey wolf has been transformed into what we, today, call a dog. After years of traveling with humans, the wolf began to change and became adapted and tame enough to socialize with humans. The environment it was placed into was one of the causes for change, and another was the role it played for humans. The most likely scenario for wolves beginning to coexist with humans is that a human hunting party came across a very young wolf cub and decided to take it with them. The wolf cub would have been very puppy-like at an early age.... [tags: Animal Research ]
2025 words (5.8 pages)
- Dogs and cats are the most popular pets in the whole world. Even though they’re both very popular, they are different in many ways. Some people gravitate towards the calmness of a cat, while others seek the companionship of a dog. Cats are a lot more independent and less expensive. Cats don’t require nor do they want to be trained to be a house pet. Dogs on the other hand are very loyal and will act as your best friend. Dogs require more attention and training to be a well behaved family member.... [tags: popular pets, animals, dog, cat]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Is It A Better Choice to Keep Cats or Dogs. Nowadays a lot of people have pets at home since they are solitary. Pets can help them to release stress, and enhance their moods. Several studies show the people who have pets live longer than people who don’t. Pets can also help them to build their responsibility and patience. When teenagers spend time with pets, they learn the way to take care of others. There is no doubt that cats and dogs are two of the most popular pets in the world since they are easy to raise and they are adorable.... [tags: Dog, Predation, Cat, Neutering]
1682 words (4.8 pages)
- Do foreigners ever truly belong in their new land. Should children be punished for more than what is fitting the error of their ways. The year is twenty thousand fourteen anno domini and, though funds are limited, a new circle must be added to the middle of hell to separate out pre-renovation racists who have been dying a pleasant death or suffering their unjust due and to prepare a place of punishment for the sect of modern racists daily being sent elsewhere by Minos. Some unfortunate souls who are brought down from upper hell will argue that this renovation is an unnecessary cost to the kingdom, or that it is too similar to the first sub-circle of violence.... [tags: Ku Klux Klan, Racism, Slavery]
1358 words (3.9 pages)
- Ever wonder why politicians are merciless dogs. Of course you have. Well, here's the answer. Machiavelli's classic text on acquiring and maintaining political power laid the foundation for modern politics, for better or for worse, and remains its bedrock. Machiavelli was an Italian patriot and a long-time member of the Italian hierarchy as a sort of political consultant, having been recently ejected from his position when he wrote this manual. Italy was then in a turbulent political situation, seemingly under attack from all quarters, and very unstable.... [tags: essays research papers]
1096 words (3.1 pages)