Essay PreviewMore ↓
Gender Marketing is not about male versus female. It is about understanding your customer and his profile thoroughly. Marketers generally adopt the approach of neutral marketing to play safe; by and large both men and women feel that they have not been targeted by the marketers properly. The marketers should continuously strive for competitiveness and take benefits from the ever changing environment which can be facilitated by the realization of the concept of gender marketing. In this article I will discuss about the changing role of women today and how it has an impact in marketing of products like online selling, car purchase, garment purchase and food & drinks.
God has created men and women with absolutely varying qualities. Since ages men have assumed the dominance in all societies, cultures and countries because he is always been the bread earner for the family. But with increasing change in demographics, economics and social changes, women are assuming an important role in a society. The two genders are both very important for the marketers because of their varying needs, behavior and psychology. Marketers generally adopt this approach of neutral marketing which is targeting both men and women simultaneously. They include both the perspective which appeals to both.
By and large both men and women feel that this not the right approach and they are not been targeted and served properly by the marketers which has eventually given rise to the concept of gender marketing. Gender marketing is a concept where the marketers study the needs and demands of both the genders separately, and according design a product to cater to them. Marketers have to identify their target customer gender and then devise a marketing strategy accordingly. Gender Marketing is not about male versus female. It is about understanding your customer better in all aspects like
• How they want to use your product
• What is the level of service they expect from you
• What is the price they are comfortable with
Many marketers still do not understand the importance of gender marketing which has lead to loss of sale. The basic reason of this concept gaining importance is ‘the changing role of women’. A woman today is not just a homemaker.
How to Cite this Page
"Gender Importance In Marketing." 123HelpMe.com. 06 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Online Marketing Activities Also known as e-marketing, web marketing, or digital marketing, which refers to a set of powerful tools and practices used to indorse and publicize services, products, and brand through the internet. It includes a wider range of marketing elements due to the extra passages and marketing tools available. Businesses can also develop to a much higher level than the traditional marketing, which means advertising using direct mail, printing, and broadcasting. Online marketing activities are listed below: • Email marketing Interacting with customers through the use of prudently intended emails, which are in fact the easiest types of marketing to carry out, and if the re... [tags: Marketing, Internet marketing]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- FACULTY IN-CHARGE: PROF. HARISH MENON Manav Nair R703 PGDM B SCOPE The scope of the term paper is to find out how useful is Marketing Research for companies.... [tags: Marketing, Marketing research, Market research]
1771 words (5.1 pages)
- Intrinsic to the construction of an identity is the external presentation or performance of selfhood. Therefore, performance and selfhood are implicitly connected. However, the extent to which external performance is employed and its impact on the internal sense of selfhood has been presented both positively and negatively. Oscar Wilde represents identity as performative in his play ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ (1895), and suggests society should embrace the artifice of performative identity.... [tags: Performance, The Importance of Being Earnest]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- I have not had the opportunity to be fully invested in the professional world yet, but I have always been interested in the marketing and products advertisement side of business. Therefore, for this particular project, I chose to examine the Marketing aspect of the business world. Finding the exact NAICS code for this industry has not been feasible. So I used the code 541910 “Marketing research and Public Opinion Polling” since it is the one that encompasses Marketing research and all of its aspects.... [tags: Marketing, Marketing research]
1804 words (5.2 pages)
- A marketing campaign is defined as “a specific, defined series activities used in marketing a new or changed product or service, or in using new marketing channels and methods” (Entrepreneur, 2016). In order for a business to be successful and grow, business owners have to think of ways to brand their business by marketing, advertising and promoting their products and services effectively (Entrepreneur, 2015). Branding is very important for businesses. For a business to grow and sell their products and services they have brand their product and services and make it known to their customers so they can build reputation and customer loyalty (Campbell, 2013).... [tags: Marketing, Want, Need, Product]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- There are four main principles of social marketing theory that can be applied to influence both the healthy and the unhealthy behavior. The first principle is the product. This is the particular change in behavior in the society that you are advocating for. It could be encouraging people to avoid littering all over, reducing teenage pregnancy, discouraging drug and substance abuse, preventing domestic violence among others. If changed or adopted the behavior will lead to a healthier lifestyle for the society.... [tags: Health, Public health, Marketing, Drug addiction]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- In the advertisement by the Brazilian jewelry company Natan, there is a depiction of a man proposing to a woman. In the first image, the jewelry box, held by the man, is closed and the woman’s legs are crossed; in the second image, the jewelry box has been propped open, and, as a result, the woman has uncrossed her legs. There is a clear sexual implication: the woman is inviting the man to have intercourse because he has pleased her in a materialistic way. The advertisement seems to suggest that buying jewelry for a woman is a guaranteed way for a man to gain consent for sex.... [tags: Gender, Female, Male, Woman]
1515 words (4.3 pages)
- We are all born as equal human beings, we all start from the same point zero. That’s until the gender is announced and the shower of blue and toy trucks for boys or the shower of pink and dolls comes at girls. It seems to me that, gender stereotyping is a substantial part of growing up. Some stereotyping messages and gender roles are imposed on young minds by the way the manufacturers and marketers suggest gender-based interests. Those messages are intertwined in our daily lives, by the way, media maintain and shape gender specific roles and by the way society is constantly reminding us how men and women should act.... [tags: Gender role, Gender, Woman, Man]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- Marketing, Advertising, Style and Art: Life Should be Lived, Not Painted Man-made objects produced for acquisition depend on the ability to carry an image of style. The consumer is persuaded that ownership will enable them to inherit this style transforming their lives into perfect, happy reflections of the people featured in advertisements. These objects can be applied to any aspect of life as a fast answer to the question of style. The media promotes and reflects the current mainstream culture's standards for life style, class and importance of appearance.... [tags: Marketing Advertising Art]
1855 words (5.3 pages)
- ABSTRACT This paper endeavors to recommend a viable marketing plan for the footwear giant, Nike. The plan has been adequately substantiated with thorough research on different factors affecting the firm along with various ways of addressing future challenges. This research paper highlights that Nike is confronted with multifarious issues which need to be negotiated amicably. Result of the study concludes that there is still a world waiting for the Nike to be exploited, outsmarting its competitors employing its innovative and creative business strategy.... [tags: Business Marketing]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
Gender and Internet
Online purchasing is becoming very popular among the customers and a very important channel of distribution for the marketers. Generally, we associate technology with men but today even women are becoming increasingly techno savvy. They prefer a plasma TV over designer set and a high featured mobile over designer shoes. Women go online to save time and simplifying their lives whereas men are more into news, stocks and other entertainment sites. It may amaze you that 60% of the online shoppers are women. But as an online retailer have you ever thought to reach this segment through internet? Are your marketing communications addressing their needs properly? Now just have a look on the aspects that this huge potential segment considers while purchasing online.
• Relationship oriented marketing approach- women are more influenced by relationships than men. So, the online retailers can develop a relationship oriented marketing approach by establishing an online chat option. This way the customers can put queries and exchange ideas. It will make him feel that personal touch which will result in repeat visits and ultimately customer loyalty.
• It should be simple and informative- You should aim to reduce the time of purchase for women. The lesser the time they take the more loyal they become to you. You can do this by making your site very simple and informative. Information should be enough to take quick and smart decisions.
Gender and Garment purchase
Like the way we just saw that 60% of the online purchasers are women, Similarly with changing social structure and society becoming increasingly contemporary, purchasing garments is no longer the forte of only women. Today men are becoming increasingly brand conscious and trend savvy. Now let us try to identify the key drivers that influence the decision making process for garment purchase which is different for men and women.
Sears conducted a research and concluded that for men, the sole purpose while buying clothing is to see that it fits properly. Whereas in case of females there is a big list of factors considered while purchasing clothing which includes it should fit properly overall specially from the waist region, the color should match the color of the skin and the neckline should be flattering. Further, men take a more self-oriented approach to clothes, whereas women have many other concerns like they relate clothes as symbols of their personal interrelatedness with others. For women, clothes are more related to their social and psychological aspects of life. For men, the need of clothing is often determined by financial constraints but in case of females the financial constraints are not that strong, instead it is the social and peer relations which define the need of clothing for them
One more important thing to note here is women have more demands for variety as compared to men. It is also seen that women always want somebody to accompany and make advices while they make their purchases of clothing. Advantage service provider! While serving to a women you should keep in mend to appeal not only the purchaser but also her companion. The equation goes like this that if the companion says Yes, she may or may not buy it but if the companion says No, she would definitely not buy it.
Gender and Car purchase
“Women want the same things as men, but they want more” by Ford’s Sheryl Connelly, the company’s chief marketing office manager for global trends and futuring. When we talk about car purchase, women are again high influencers and deciders also. They conduct lot of research and comparison shopping when it comes to cars or any expensive thing for that matter. This would make you think that they completely dominate the car salesperson but it is not so. Although they influence a lot of car purchases but still take a back seat in deciding alone and independent and often depend on the male member of the family or the dealer himself. Advantage service provider! They can influence the women to a great extent as they are here to listen to you and get influences.
So now the question arises whether the car purchases should be positioned towards men or women? Well, the answer is this segment is dominated by men where they are the decision makers but also highly influenced by women. A man can be targeted through technical aspects and a woman can be targeted by the happiness that the woman is bringing to the family i.e. the emotional appeal.
Gender and Food & Drinks
There are different categories of food which appeal to the two genders. A marketer has to find out exactly what appeals to the two genders and market the products accordingly. Women in general are more conscious about health, not only their own but of the whole family. So, if you want to position your product as healthy product, best is to target the women folk for it. Men are health conscious but they do not like to be associated with any kind of health food or drink. Pepsi solved this problem by launching diet pepsi which did not have the name diet associated with it like Pepsi max and Pepsi one. If we talk about eating out of families then also major decisions are taken by women. One of the reasons of this is eating out is not only a change but also relaxation for her.
Men vs Women Differences – Now let us see the basic biological and social differences between men and women i.e. the reasons why the two genders respond to different products so differently.
Externally motivated Intrinsically motivated
Activities like mechanical tasks Activities fostering social tasks
Source- Power Point Presentation by Dr. Kevin Lance Jones
Difference in the Acquisition and Consumption behavior
Selective examination of ad messages Detailed examination of ad messages
Decisions based on heuristics Decisions based on attributes
Pay attention to positive emotions in purchase decisions Pay attention to negative emotions in purchase decisions
Source- Power Point Presentation by Dr. Kevin Lance Jones
Fair and Handsome- Fair and Handsome from Emami is the first fairness cream made for male segment is a great success. Emami conducted a research in which it was found out that 25%-35% users of the female fairness cream are men. That gave a rise to an idea for having a cream only for men. The target segment is urban men aged 15-35 years. The marketing for the brand was very loud and the most important medium was Television. With brand ambassador SRK, this brand has become a huge success.
Hero Honda Pleasure- "Why should boys have all the fun?"
The tag line of the product ‘why should boys have all the fun’ makes the product exclusive to the men segment. For the first time in history of the two-wheeler market an advertisement is made which is targeting only females. Although the other players in the scooty market have shown girls in the advertisement but have also played safe as they do not want to drive away the ‘guy’ segment completely.
An organization’s success is generated by the new, innovative ideas and risk taking capabilities to always try something new. They should continuously strive for competitiveness and taking benefits from the ever changing environment. This can be facilitated by the realization of the concept of gender marketing. The men and women have to be considered as separate identities and marketing strategy has to be developed keeping this in mind. More than 85% of the decisions in different product categories are influenced by women, so it is high time you start marketing to them. We have just seen that the role of women has changed over the ages and she is influencing the decision making and purchase of products in so many categories.