Children gain vast benefits from learning outdoors. Being outdoors allows them to move around without many of the restrictions of being inside (Early Years Foundation Stage, 2014). Gardening is an appropriate project to be carried out as an outdoor play. Children experienced the outdoor environment freely. Outside is a natural place for children to be and play and there is a freedom related with it. Bilton (2004: 4) states that outside is a natural environment for children and there is a freedom associated with the space that cannot be replicated inside. As in this project, I observed that children engage freely and experience the outside environment rather than inside the classroom. Outdoor environments are also important to children's development of independence and autonomy. The outdoors boosts and excites children of all ages enabling them to explore and discover fascinating worlds and experiences offerings richly provided in the natural worlds.
According to Chawla (1998) through education, young children can become empowered to act on behalf of themselves and others to create a sustainable environment. The sustainability of the project is based on the material’s durability. The materials that I used for my project was flower pots, potting compost, sunflower seeds, trowel, wheelbarrow, watering buckets and gloves. All the materials we...
... middle of paper ...
...s while doing the project. Besides that, mathematics involves providing children with opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting (Early Years Foundation Stage, 2014). Children counted the sunflower seeds before putting on the compost soils.
The Every Child Matters (ECM) Green Paper (2004) identified the outcomes that are most important to children. Firstly, be healthy is one of the outcomes which is important for children. Children were involved actively throughout the project. Children were motivated by the teachers and parents. Children also were being involved in the project and concentrate to the instructions given by me as the practitioners. Children were emotionally happy and confident with their contributions for the project. Even, every morning, children came and asked permissions to go and see their sunflower plants and water it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- School gardens are being implemented in elementary, middle, and some high schools around the country to provide a valuable hands-on learning experience for students. The increasing number of food-related problems in today's society, such as obesity, eating disorders, diseases, and a general disconnect from food sources, have contributed to these schools' desire to develop awareness and understanding in coming generations. The schools have been using gardens to bring children closer to the food they eat, by teaching planting, nourishing, harvesting and cooking the food they grow.... [tags: School gardens, education, gardening, food sources]
1594 words (4.6 pages)
- Small scale market gardening is the way to produce vegetables and some other crops under a design of sustainable and small garden for market value. Select your market: A successful business man has some particular characters which are very important for profit. One should be very much market oriented. The grower should take care of the likes and dislikes of the customers with all the product and selling lack. The problem of gulf is caused due to lack of planning which was a failure in horticulture and agriculture of Australia.... [tags: Gardening]
514 words (1.5 pages)
- Herb Container gardening is the good way to have control on your herbs growing next to your doorstep. You can move the container gardens when ever is required. If the herb plant requires sun light it can be shifted to warmer place and back into the shady area after getting too hot. Herb container gardens are used to beautify the surrounding and are very convenient. You can collect fresh herbs just before cooking from your home container garden. At night also it is convenient to collect herbs if it is planted in a container.... [tags: Gardening ]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- Herb gardening is the most interesting and curios for the kids as senses are engaged thoroughly. Gardens are great motivators with nice smell and cool feeling. However these herbs were the first cure for the early peoples as medicine and used as food preservatives and cosmetics. In winter, you can encourage your kids to cultivate herbs in a windowsill who shows garden enthusiasts. To start a herb garden all you need is a sunny place, soil containers and selected herbs. Culinary herb is the excellent selection as it is easy to grow and maintain.... [tags: Gardening ]
512 words (1.5 pages)
- It is extremely important that students become accustomed to working in nature and learning to become part of a global community. Building a compost pile is an effective way to ensure this because it is easy to build and can serve a lasting purpose in the school or local community and promote a better community environment (Ritcher). Numerous sources corroborate the importance of children’s exposure to nature and that a group composting project or field trip will provide these unique opportunities to an elementary school classroom community.... [tags: Composting, Compost, Natural environment]
819 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction: There are plenty of rock gardening ideas whether you want to create a traditional oriental rock garden or just imitate some principles of the oriental rock gardens. Let us here see about the general rock gardening ideas of natural rock gardens and oriental rock gardening ideas. Natural rock gardening ideas: The natural rock gardening ideas are given by the nature. The rocky yards are covered with greenery in order to beautify the area. In the rock gardens the stones, stumps, logs are not removed like the other garden types but are the vital elements of these gardens.... [tags: Gardening]
525 words (1.5 pages)
- Herb gardening has many benefits grown in your own backyard. Herbs are really very much beneficial as first aid for your body and also for your surrounding. Gardening in your backyard is healing for the adults and kids which establish a connection with the nature. Specially, gardening with the children is more beneficial to enjoy the nature. Gardening and nature relives so much of stress. Gardening nourishes your spirit and allows connecting with your inner-self. Garden is the antidote for the noise pollution, busy schedule.... [tags: Gardening ]
513 words (1.5 pages)
- . Planting of cash crops is a process of non-cash crops intend by farmer to grow purposely to protect and improve in-between the time of crop production. It is an easy way to revitalize the fertility of the soil for other subsequent plants growth. Crops duration time are varied from monthly and years depending on its objective and approach adopted. It is usually planted in vacant space and adds to the fertility of soil after they grow instead of being eaten up. They add a number of advantages to a waste space in the off- season gardening.... [tags: Soil, Agriculture, Crops, Agronomy]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- Students associate tarmac into a negative term. This object signifies 'hard play space and 'hard ' play.” Since students constantly play on this, it was not common for them to think that failing and injuring themselves was completely acceptable. “Tarmac was also associated with aggressive games and domination of space by older/bigger children,” because the majority of the games that were played on blacktop were games that involved running, pushing, and knocking into each other. Grass is the total opposite of a blacktop.... [tags: School, High school, Want, Tree climbing]
1660 words (4.7 pages)
- The lyrics of Michael Jackson’s Earth Song are sobering. Those who have seen the video of the song probably remember how vividly he passionately sang, “What have we done to the world. Look what we've done.” While understanding the risks involved, human beings seem to care little about the environment. Every day that passes seems to leave the world with more to be concerned with, the ever-increasing pollution, the deforestation, and the threat of nuclear waste. Taking responsibility for the environment is a duty that Christians should commit to.... [tags: Environment ]
1231 words (3.5 pages)