Gaming has become an integral part of our culture over the years. It has evolved in such manner that the age-restrictions have been lifted dramatically due to the introduction of different gaming genres ranging from action/adventure to sports and even fantasy world. The gaming history has a rich-detailed history to it, and is usually perceived to be a progressive culture.
It all started in 1940, with a computer game called “Nim”, designed by Edward Condon, which had a fairly simple idea of defeating the computer in a last-man standing contest. Millions of players worldwide got addicted to the game and it marked a new beginning for the gaming world. Fast-forward to the year 1963, and one finds out that the U.S defense department created a game called “STAGE (Simulation of Total Atomic Global Exchange)”, which simulated U.S defeating Soviet Union in a thermonuclear war. Thus, it can be assumed that the games were not only for fun but also were used to promote patriotism. Hundreds of games were instantly developed through computer programming and were used as a stepping-stone to some of the most advanced games and consoles that were to follow.
Every culture comes with some sort of baggage in terms of labels and criticism imposed by the society and this culture was no different. Gamers were often criticized on their lack of time-management due to addictive gaming, and were called too lazy for their own good. But, in the year 2002, this theory was disowned by the U.S army itself by developing a game called “America’s Army”, and as the name implies, it was a first-person shooting game with various levels of missions based on real-life situations. It was then used to recruit people into the army by evaluating their gam...
... middle of paper ...
...” games out there. In order to know more about this game, I decided on investigating a local Game Stop store that sells all kind of games on a very large scale.
When asked about GTA, the salesman (Eric) marked it as the “best open-world, action-adventure” game ever produced. He also showed me around the aisle that was exclusively booked for GTA titles. And turns out, GTA 5 is the latest installment released and probably the most popular among gamers due to technological advancements in the recent years that improved graphics and gameplay. After being given a brief history of GTA series, he told me that the sales of this particular game skyrocketed when released due to the much-created hype online and in stores. To known more about the game, I headed out to one of my cousin’s house who is an intense gamer and I remembered him mentioning GTA 5 the last time we met.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The term “gamer” tends to be synonymous with “geek” in many people’s minds. They see gaming as a device that absorbs the majority of the time of the user, leaving them as mindless empty, pale husks with no ambitions other than beating that next boss or shooting the enemy in the face. However, few gamers waste their life away. On the contrary, many of these so-called geeks tend to be more social than the average person, and farther down the technological curve than most. For the truth is that gaming is a rather useful and beneficial hobby.... [tags: Gaming ]
1053 words (3 pages)
- 2 Background 2.1 Industry The online games market - whilst known by the industry as in its infancy  - should surpass $15 Billion this year and sales of virtual goods likely to exceed $1 Billion . This very profitable young market can be debated as the future of gaming . With the cost of Broadband technology going down and online services offering a larger amount of micro-transactions and subscription based games – not to mention virtual goods – it would be hard to resist by any gamer. For example it was reported within 5 days of MODERN WARFARE 2 (MW2) being released it had made $550 million in revenue and an online player base of 8 million, an “army” bigger than real world countries... [tags: Gaming]
1161 words (3.3 pages)
- Building a gaming computer may be an intimidating endeavour, but in all actuality with a little hard work anyone can be a whiz at putting together a gaming computer. Why build a custom gaming PC. Well it’ll save money, and give the builder a great experience. It’s always fun to learn how different things work. The price of a top of the line retail gaming computer runs from two thousand on up to five thousand dollars and beyond, a monitor alone could cost one thousand dollars. The two types of gaming PC builds are , the hardcore gamer build which will cost a little extra, and the casual gamer build which isn’t as expensive; moreover, the steps in building a gaming PC are: creating a budget,... [tags: Custom Gaming PC, Gaming Industry]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- Throughout time, technological tools have been created and improved for the well-being of humans. From the discovery of fire to having robots educate children, all inventions influence and impact the way we live in a society. Another instrument which will soon remodel the gaming industry and our lifestyle is the Oculus Rift. According to Chacos, Edge-Salois, Hamdan, Luckerson and Trivedi, there is research to prove that the Oculus Rift is a device that will revolutionize the gaming industry and the real world.... [tags: Technological Tools, Advancements, Gaming Industry]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- Imagine a world that allows people to become someone else for a moment. This virtual world is undiscovered by many people and is competing with each other. They are not afraid of others judging them. They can express their feelings anonymously without fear. This world is filled with people who, in the real world, would usually be quiet and reserved, but in this world emerge as leaders. This virtual world is accessible to everyone, but only used by a few. These few people who make up this virtual world are called gamers.... [tags: Gaming]
2506 words (7.2 pages)
- This case study will be focusing on the key topic of sexism within the gaming world. It will focus on two very important aspects; sexism against women within the gaming industry and community, and sexism against women in games. Within the gaming industry, whether it is within the PC gaming industry network or the general gaming industry network, sexism exists. This is supported by the findings discussed within this case study. One such example is: “60% of women in the game industry have experienced sexism...... [tags: sexism, gaming industry, video games]
2265 words (6.5 pages)
- Rebellious, violent behavior in youth is often treated simplistically – whether Elvis Presley’s latest hits, the programs airing on Saturday night television, or the newest film playing in theaters were popular amongst children and young adults, the blame for unfavorable behavior has always had its scapegoat. One of the most recent additions to society’s scapegoats is video gaming. Whether the objective of a given game is to fight crime or cause it, the morality of video games is often questioned and scrutinized by analysts and citizens alike.... [tags: Video Gaming]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- Politics and economics are controversial subjects in gaming just as much as they are in the real world. This is because the gaming world, while a form of escapism, reflects real world circumstances. In game worlds issues such as racism, sexism, discrimination and bullying, are all relevant because of their relevancy in the real word. Dealing with these issues in the game world are largely similar to how they are dealt with in real life (). Communities in game get together vote and present the vote to the developers if they want something to change.... [tags: Game, Play, Gamer, Gaming]
772 words (2.2 pages)
- Equal Gender Representation in The Gaming Franchise This paper tries to express how sexism/chauvinism ideas have infected the virtual-world of video games, and resulted in a male dominated video-gaming industry. Now, being that 49% of U.S. households own a dedicated gaming console (E.S.A. 2012), it is imperative that we address this issue. Gender disparity in the gaming business is exceedingly one-sided. Female employees constitute less than 10% of the gaming industry, and even though that shortcoming females have contributed to the video gaming franchise.... [tags: gaming industry, gender equality, women]
2432 words (6.9 pages)
- At 1:15pm Saturday afternoon, I am currently hanging out at the student gaming center with the pool tables and a line of arcades in front of me. At least nine to twelve players are gathered around 2 gaming arcade machines in front of me. The two main popular ones that are of interest would be the Street Fighter 3rd Strike and the Marvel vs Capcom 2 machines. The gamers are heavily immerse in watching the players and cheering them on. I am observing four players playing on two separate machines.... [tags: Gaming, narrative]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Sexual Abuse Dependency As Heterosexual Females
- `` The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Manchurian Candidate, And Fail Safe
- Oedipus The King Is A Greek Tragedy
- The Prince By Niccolo Machiavelli
- Office Of United States Senator Marco Rubio Of Florida
- Alzheimer 's Disease : The Most Common Type Of Dementia