Of the limited literature on women in science fiction, there is even less available on women in Star Wars. As a whole, the pool of literature on Star Wars is surprisingly small for a media text as old and as pervasive within popular culture. The majority of this research focuses...
... middle of paper ...
...other sex role models” (711). Furthermore, the more frequent portrayal of male characters in comparison to female characters leads to the belief in young girls that their stories are not as important as those of their male counterparts (Smith et al. 2010, 775).
Therefore, this initiative is important as the development and formation of identity in children is becoming increasingly influenced by the representations of same-sex role models in media. The prevalence of media in contemporary society is dominated by traditional and stereotypical representations of gender and beauty ideals, all of which affect children in potentially harmful ways, particularly in regards to achieving the ideal beauty. For this reason, it important to explore the effects that non-gender stereotyped same-sex role models have on the confidence of children and on the way they see themselves.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Michael Moore, an Academy Award-winning filmmaker is known for his highly controversial documentaries. He appeals to the younger generation, trying to educate people along with addressing our unresolved social issues in the United States. He gives insight to corrupt things that our government is involved in that citizens do not know. Michael Moore continues to prove to be a monumental influence through his work in the movie industry. His main message is to get people to stop following their government blindly, but rather speak out, ask questions, get involved, and most of all shows people’s power to be able to change what needs to be changed.... [tags: Film Industry]
1571 words (4.5 pages)
- Latin Representation in Today’s Films Quick. Think about the last movie that you saw in a movie theater. Got it. Now try to recall of the characters presented in the film, how many of them were a person of color. Can you remember. Whether you do or not, your response would most likely be the same because as the USC Annenberg School for Communications and Journalism’s research report, “Inequality in 700 Popular Films: Examining Portrayals of Character Gender, Race, & LGBT Status from 2007 to 2014” states, representation of underrepresented racial and/or ethnic groups in today’s films is minuscule.... [tags: United States, Mexican American]
1516 words (4.3 pages)
- The long and intense musical undertone in the Godfather Part II serves a unique role in the flow of the film. The diegetic music sets the scene throughout many different changes in scenery as well as plays a huge part in setting the mood and tone of the characters with their different changes of emotion. In this paper, I will demonstrate how the musical score creates transitions within the film, identifies with the characters and creates underscoring for moments in the film when there is not much going on.... [tags: musicals, the godfather, nino rota]
1758 words (5 pages)
- What Makes a Top 100 Hospital. The University of California – San Francisco Medical Center is one the best hospitals in the country. In 2010 the hospital was the seventh best hospital out of 100’s of others. How does a hospital reach this level of success. A hospital such as UCSF they have to be willing and able to find better and new ways to approach the care for their patients. Superb patient care is only one of the reasons why UCSF is one of the best. The innovative research and the extensive education in the Science of Health at their medical school are more reasons.... [tags: medical, surgeon, health]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- Industry Rivalry Each year Technomic releases the “Fast Casual Top 100 Report.” They track 344 chains to get to sales of $21-$22 billion. Technomic’s Darren Tristano believes that the future of fast casual will not be slowing down anytime soon, in fact in terms of sales, the top 100 fast-casual chains accounted for $18.86 billion, which is the equivalent of 85-90% of the estimated $21-$22 billion in the market (Green, 2011.) The top five chains accounted for 40% of the sales of the top 100 and only the top three had sales of over $1 billion and 62 of the chains had less than $100 million in sales.... [tags: Fast casual restaurant, Fast food restaurant]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- The walking catfish has become known as a notorious and harmful indigenous species on the top 100 most invasive species list (Masterson 2007). The species is so harmful that is has been blacklisted by numerous states including the state of Indiana (Brogan 2003). This species has a certain trait that allows it to work its way throughout the regions in order to invade and reproduce. Due to the species ability to walk on dry land and also to survive long periods of time without food or water, it has made its mark as an invasive species (Masterson 2007).... [tags: Aquaculture, Fish, United States, U.S. state]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- American film has always had female role models present within them. They have not had the title of “hero”, but they have always been role models. Women have been depicted as strong willed and minded characters since the early 1970s. The women that will spoke about in this argument will prove that women have been “heroes” all along they have just never had that title till now. Women have been saving lives, men, and worlds for decades. Women of film have never been considered heroes due to the meaning of a hero.... [tags: american films, hero, hollywood]
577 words (1.6 pages)
- Introduction Santiago Alvarez is honored in the world as the pioneer of revolutionary Cuban filmmaker as well as his documentary masterpieces also contribute a remarkable achievement in Latin America films. Santiago was given birth on March 8, 1919, who is the son of an immigrant Spanish family in Cuba. He was involved in learning politics at his very early age since his father arrested as a result of anarchistic activity. Subsequently, at the age of 15, Santiago began to work as a printer’s apprentice and then he became a strike planner speedily after he participating in the workers’ union.... [tags: documentary films]
2640 words (7.5 pages)
- Restaurant Scene in Top Girls The restaurant scene in Top Girls (TG) revolves around Marlene celebrating her promotion at work, it is purely female gendered, having no male actors present throughout the whole play. The significance of the five guests she has chosen to celebrate with promotes the hard work and sacrifices she has made in order to get where she is. This scene uses women of the past, to highlight struggles of women through the ages, encompassing the theme of women’s experiences and women at work, with motherhood being an important factor for most of them.... [tags: Top Girls Play Theater]
1616 words (4.6 pages)
- Crime Films When looking at the crime film it is important to understand the nature of the films genre. The genre is a way for the audience to distinguish types of films. These are categorised together because of standard protocols developed for a particular types or styles of film. These films usually follow similar guidelines in order to produce a predictable style for the audience. The development of genre films is not entirely the prerogative of Hollywood. It is more the desire of the public viewing audience to have an idea of the type of film they are about to see.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2040 words (5.8 pages)