Facebook asks for the following when signing up to become a member: name, email, generate a password, birthday, and gender. None of this information is verified and Facebook takes the future members word for it, and allows them to gain access to the website as long as their email has not already been taken. Underneath the registration process in very small print users are requested to view the “Terms” and “Data Use Policy”. The website does not require a user to even click on the links to proceed with registration, which means a user has the option to bypass the useful information all together. Inside these “terms” Facebook states “We do our best to keep Facebook safe, but we cannot guarantee it” (Facebook). By posting the Terms and Data Use Policy, Facebook is taking absolutely no legal responsibility for what happens on its website.
Due to Facebook not verifying every single one of its members the danger of a sexual predator is not that uncommon on this type of social networking website. Young children that pretend that they are at least thirteen years of age could end up being a victim of a sexual predator due to “not knowing any better”. Also the parents who allow their children to obtain...
... middle of paper ...
...ge of, Is Facebook really worth keeping in touch with family and friends when it may be safer to just call them in the first place.
“Cybercriminals Use Personal Information on Social Networking Websites to Commit Crimes.” Cybercrime. Ed. Louise I. Gerdes. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. From “Online Exposure: Social Netowrks, Mobile Phones, and Scams Can Threaten Your Security.” Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web 14 Nov. 2013.
“Facebook quietly unveils ‘stalking app’.” CNN Wire 26 June 2012. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 14 Nov. 2013.
Foxman, Abraham, Cyndi Silverman, and John Kreiser. Are Social Networking Sites Harmful? Ed. Stefan Kiesbye. Detroit: Greenhaven, 2011. Print. National Center for Victims of Crime.
"Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More." Facebook. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Between the early to mid 1600’s, British outcasts had begun to venture out to North America to seek religious freedom. However, many of these settlers weren’t making the perilous voyage across the Atlantic for solely religious reasons. The colony of New Haven was an organized settlement that was both religiously and economically inclined. However, despite their unity and good work ethic, the colony was unable to achieve much significance by the turn of the century. Ever since the colonists arrived in New Haven, they encountered many difficulties that at first thwarted them from creating a thriving economy, and eventually shattered what hopes they had of creating the strong and influential ha... [tags: New Haven, Davenport, puritans]
1945 words (5.6 pages)
- I remember when my cousin introduced me to Myspace. I became obsessed with this website because it allowed me to find all of my friends from school. I could look at their pictures, their favorite song, which of their “top 10” friends were, and I could also message them. To me this was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen. I would pray I could get home sooner just to log on and see if I had missed any important post or if I had any new messages from friends. It was until a friend introduced me to Facebook that I realized Myspace wasn’t as great as I thought it was.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Facebook]
1833 words (5.2 pages)
- The amount of negativity on Facebook and Twitter is ridiculous. On Facebook, the attacks tend to be on actors, politicians, athletes, and anyone else in the media at the moment that is currently garnering attention. The amount of negative posts right now towards both presidential hopefuls is overwhelming. It is shared articles as well as people posting comments that feel that their negative comments will somehow sway people to vote for the candidate that they approve of. I’ve already seen many people pleading with their Facebook friends to stop the political posts.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook, Attack!]
706 words (2 pages)
- One day I travelled in Italy, in there I met my new friend Patricia. She asked me if I had Facebook. This is my first time to heard Facebook, Since Facebook was blocked in China.I asked my friend what Facebook was. She told me that Facebook was a social media to contact with friends and make new friend. She asked me to create a new account in Facebook. I said:" Ok, I will create it right now." After creating Facebook, I liked chatting with friends in the messenger, sharing my life with my friends, reading interesting posts.... [tags: Facebook, Privacy, Privacy law]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- Facebook vs Twitter Compare and contrast Ganga Dahal Eng. 1010, Fall 2015 Facebook and twitter are the two different biggest social networking site. Millions of people from all over the world use this both site daily. This both networking site are used to get connected with friends, family and to track their celebrities. People also used this both networking sites to get updated about what’s going on over the world. To open Facebook and Twitter, peoples have to get sign up with their full name and email address, and they have to create a user name along with password.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Twitter]
706 words (2 pages)
- The digital age has been developing faster than anyone would have imagined. The internet with the help of advanced technology has helped people maintain relationships from real life to online relationships. Facebook is but one example of this. Facebook has opened doors to maintaining relationships with family members who may live across the world, friends who are living across the country, and professional relationships. Although Facebook has given another way of creating and maintaining relationships, it does not always diminish the feelings of alienation or anomie that face-to-face relationships help with.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Sociology]
1267 words (3.6 pages)
- In fleeing facebook essay, the writer focuses on demerits of facebook but neglect the merits of this social networking site. Today we lives in contemporary world and in this era, the young generation loves to make account on facebook .Due to the facebook, all world seems like global village. Moreover Carmen joy kings fails to provide valid information related to facebook. The recent study shows that the facebook has about one billion account and the billion of active account shows the interest of people in facebook and do not indicate the feeling of boredom as author says .... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, MySpace, Web 2.0]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- Instagram was founded in 2010 by Kevin Systrom. Kevin was born in 1983 in Holliston, Massachusetts. In 2006, he received a bachelor’s degree in management science and engineering from the University of Stanford. After graduating, he joined Google as “an associate product marketing manager. He spent two years at Google before leaving to join Nextstop. During his time at Nextstop, he made a prototype called Burbn and pitched it to Baseline Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz. They loved the idea, and as a result; he received $500,000 to build Burbn.... [tags: Facebook, Marketing, Social network service]
1264 words (3.6 pages)
- Today’s society is centered around social media, not just for sharing photos, articles, funny videos you see online, but to keep in touch with those near and far with a push of a button. We come to a day and age where you can be anywhere on the planet and still be able to message your best friend who is sitting in their house thousands of miles away. I will admit that I love using social media because I can see what my friends are up to and keep up to date with today’s problems. Everyone from teenagers to the elderly use Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to show others what they may be up to or what they may have seen online.... [tags: Social media, Facebook, English-language films]
715 words (2 pages)
- TheFacebook Addiction Poke. Poke back. Poke. Poke back. Welcome to the world of TheFacebook, the online community where flirting with that cute person that sits next to you in class is only one click away. TheFacebook is an online directory that connects people through social networks at colleges and universities. Since being founded, in February 2004 at Harvard University, TheFacebook has expanded to many universities across the United States. In November 2004, the numbers of registered users exceeded one million.... [tags: Social Networking Facebook Myspace]
955 words (2.7 pages)