The objective of this paper is to conduct a strategic analysis of Procter & Gamble (P&G) who is a global leader in the manufacturing and marketing of consumer products. The main focus is on the domestic cleaning products industry in which P&G is a market leader. P&G’s business segment related to this industry is the Fabric and Household Care segment. A number of strategic analysis tools were used to conduct the analysis which will lead to suggestions and recommendations of alternative available strategies that will suit the company.
Overview of P&G:
P&G, headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio is America’s largest multinational manufacturers and distributor of consumer goods to second place competitor Unilever. The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G), incorporated in May, 1905, is focused on providing consumer packaged goods. The company was founded back in 1837 by two brothers-in-law, William Procter and James Gamble. William a candle maker and James, a soap maker joined forces after they married the Norris sisters. They shared a common need for raw material and established their partnership based on this and financial difficulties which they had at the time. The company has grown astronomically over the years through diversification into different product lines and acquisitions of other companies. The company first branched into the area of household care in 1946 when it introduced the laundry detergent Tide.
The company made its first million in 1859. In 2013 it had sales of $84.2 billion showing the company has grown astronomically over the years. (1) Currently, its products are sold in more than 180 countries worldwide reaching 4.8 billion people. It conducts this primarily through mass merchandisers, grocery stores, pha...
... middle of paper ...
4. P&G. Investor- Company Strategy 2014 [March 2014]. Available from: http://www.pginvestor.com/GenPage.aspx?IID=4004124&GKP=208821.
5. P&G. Organisational Structure 2014 [March 2014]. Available from: https://www.pg.com/en_US/company/global_structure_operations/index.shtml.
6. Johnson S, Whittington. Exploring Corporate Strategies. 8th ed: Prentice Hall; 2008 2008.
7. Statistics BoL. US Umployment 2014 [March 2014]. Available from: http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.us.htm.
8. Analysis BoE. Gross Domestic Product 2014 [March 2014]. Available from: http://www.bea.gov/national/index.htm#gdp.
9. CIMA. Strategic Analysis Tools 2014 [March 2014]. Available from: http://www.cimaglobal.com/Documents/ImportedDocuments/cid_tg_strategic_analysis_tools_nov07.pdf.pdf.
10. P&G. Research & Development 2014 [March 2014]. Available from: http://www.pgscience.com/home/rd.html.