Essay

1292 Words6 Pages
“Dis”United States of America Equal opportunity is a fundamental principle in modern and inclusive societies. It means that the achievements and results of a person should not depend on race, gender, family or any other immutable characteristic. There are strong arguments to defend the existence of a certain level of income inequality in any society, as this may be due to the initiative, effort and merit, as already stated; but few would oppose equal opportunity for everyone. Recent data show that there is a close correlation between income inequality and inequality of opportunity: the opportunities that the children in your life will depend largely on the socioeconomic status of their parents Economic inequality is growing rapidly in most countries. The world's wealth is divided into two: almost half is held by the richest 1% of the population, and the other half is divided among the remaining 99%. The World Economic Forum believes that this inequality is a serious risk to human progress. The extreme economic inequality and the kidnapping of democratic processes by the elites are too often interdependent. The lack of control in political institutions causes weakness, and the governments only serve the economic elites and to damage the working citizens. Extreme inequality is not inevitable, and can and should be reversed as soon as possible. In November 2013, the World Economic Forum launched its report Global Outlook 2014 calendar, which placed the increase in income inequality as the second largest global threat of the next 12 to 18 months. According to those surveyed, the inequality "is affecting the social stability within countries and threatens global security” A certain degree of economic inequality is essential to sti... ... middle of paper ... ...den in tax havens. There are an estimated 18.5 trillion unregistered and third low-tax countries. In a truly equal society there would be a high degree of social mobility, which does not occur when the level of economic inequality is high. The university professor Miles Corak been associated Gini coefficient and the degree of dependence between the income of a person and their parents. For example in Denmark, a country with a Gini coefficient lower, only 15% of the current income of a young adult dependent on income from their parents; in Peru, a country with one of the highest Gini coefficients in the world, two-thirds of what he currently earns a person relate to what their parents earned in the past. This relationship is known as the "Great Gatsby Curve" because, as F. Scott Fitzgerald, the rich "are not like you and me," he said. And neither are their children.

More about Essay

Open Document