Essay PreviewMore ↓
Printed questionnaires – Depending on the type of questionnaires some form of optical data
reading dives would be the best method. An OMR or Optical Mark Reader can be used in
conjunction with special paper called mark sense form in order to easily input data from
questionnaires where people just simply mark their answer from an already defined set of
answers to a question. Another type of optical data reading that can be used with questionnaires
is called OCR or optical character reader. This type of data input can be used when the answers
to questions are hand written. According to the Data Identification Systems website (Data
Identification, 2003) OCR is a much faster form of data input then keystroke data entry, not only
is it faster but it is also generally more reliable and more efficient.
Telephone survey – The best way to input data from a telephone survey would be through the
use of voice recognition devices. Voice recognition devices are used to record and convert
speech into text using special software.
Bank Checks – The best method of data input for bank checks is to use what is called MICR or
Magnetic Ink Character Recognition. In this method characters are printed on check using
specialized ink or toner which a sorter or scanner can then read by the inks magnetic signal.
Retail Tags – The best method of data input for retail tags in through the use of Bar Coding. Bar
coding is the method in which merchandise information is printed onto a tag or the item itself
using a bar code. This bar code can then be read later by using a bar code scanner that turns the
bar code into readable text such as the items type, name, price, or product number. This method
is a great way to keep track of inventory and inventory sales.
Long Documents – The best method of data input for long documents are through the use of
scanners. A scanner is used to make digital photo copies of paper documents which can then be
stored, sent, or read in many different file types such as a .pdf format. This method greatly
reduces the time it would take for a person to manually type all the information using a keyboard
as well as reducing the storage space it would take to store the paper documents.
How to Cite this Page
"Data Input, Output and Storage." 123HelpMe.com. 16 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Data Input, Output, Storage and Access Methods The purpose of this paper is to highlight some best practices for data input and output. In addition, this paper will highlight appropriate uses of various storage means. Lastly, it will address the effect certain components of a computer have on its overall speed. Accuracy of Data Input There are various methods for entering data into a computer system. Depending on the medium in which the original data is contained, and how it is to be stored and used later, there can be great differences in input methods.... [tags: data ]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- Input/ Output Storage Paper Accuracy of data input is important. It is important to know, not so much where the data comes from or how it is processed but whether the results are useful and valuable. There are many different applications to consider when deciding which method is best for data input and output devices. Not only is the input important but the quality of output is very important. Feedback on the output creates the ability to go back and correct any errors that may have been made during the initial input of data.... [tags: Computer Technology]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction This paper will take a closer look at data input and also data output considerations. There are many different choices when it comes to data input/output options. While it is good to have many choices, there are usually some considerations that are required to make the best possible decision. The second section of this paper will concentrate on the difference between primary and secondary storage. Lastly, the different roles of computer components and their impact on overall computer speed will be explored.... [tags: Data Technology Computer]
1807 words (5.2 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to explain the importance of accurate data input, the quality of output, and the use of different storage devices. This paper will shed light on which device is the best to use and when to use it for data storage. Another element to be discussed is the role of RAM, of clock speed, of a hard disk, of a CD ROM, and of a floppy disk and how each device determines computer speed. Through examination and exploration of each area one will achieve a better understanding of the importance of data input, data output, the advantages/disadvantage of storage options, and computer components.... [tags: Data Computers Entry]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Output, input, Storage and Speed of the Computer Printed questionnaires Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) would be the best choice. Its the ICR technology that allows data capture software to automatically to, read information from all types of documents - even handwritten ones. Telephone survey-voice recognition is best because a voice input device can be programmed to distinguish answers spoken into the receiver allowing it to all be completed by computers. Bank checks- scanning devices that recognizes bar codes are called MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) a magnetic scanning input device.... [tags: Technology Computer]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Input Devices Any input device is any hardware device that sends data to the computer. Without any input devices, a computer would only be a display device and not allow users to interact with it. (Input Device). A couple examples are barcode reader, scanner, keyboard, and even a finger if you’re using it for a touchscreen. Drives such as CD-ROM, DVD, and a floppy disk may be capable of sending the computer information, but they are not input devices. These are considered storage devices. Any information or data that’s entered or sent to the computer to be processed is considered input and anything that is displayed from the computer is output (Input Device).... [tags: storage, keyboard, smartphone]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- There are many aspects of computing that are important: accuracy of data input, convenience and quality of output, optimal storage devices, and processing speed of a computer. What are all these things and what are the best methods or types. Data Input Fundamental to accuracy of data input is assurance that the information system will be able to properly automate the collection of information and that the end-user is aware of and understands how information should be recorded. Stair and Reynolds (2006) supports, “Input can be a manual or an automated process.... [tags: Technology Computers]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Input, Process and Output for I.R.C. Coursework As system analysts to ensure I.R.C get the job done I am going to introduce the three basic and main steps. These are Input, Process and Output. The first step will be using Inputs such as keyboards, mouse, scanner and many other inputs. The keyboard allows me to input and type text about special features and offers which I can include in the newsletter or the flyer to promote and advertise my business. It allows me to store information about the customers and there order details .The mouse has many features such as allowing me to point and click in a certain column and also editing any mistakes made.... [tags: Papers]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Intro The need for accurate data is evident. Systems and procedures are needed to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information being recorded and understanding the role hardware as well as software plays is important in acquiring the correct resources for any project. Accuracy of Data Input Accuracy of data input is important. What method of data input would be best for the following situations and explain why. Printed Questionnaires. Questionnaires can be input into a computer using a keyboard and computer screen.... [tags: Data]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- The accuracy of data input is important within means of a business. Printed questionnaires are great for ideas of improvement and the quality of performance received from the company. Restaurants use printed questionnaires for complaints and suggestions from the customers. This is a wonderful way of accomplishing better service and reliable customers. It is also used by sensors to determine how many people are living in your home; this in turns allows them to determine how many people live in ones city.... [tags: Data Input ]
731 words (2.1 pages)
Hand held computer – The best data output method for a hand held computer would be visual
output such as text or low end graphics on an LCD screen. LCD which stands for liquid crystal
display is ideal for hand held computers and helps to make their small size possible. Hand held
computers are not powerful as laptop or desktop computers so most output should be in the form
of text and simple graphics.
Color Photograph – The best method of output for a color photograph would be through a high
resolution printer using special photo paper. This method can be used to reproduce color
photographs of different dimensions. A lot of printers now have the capability to print pictures
stored on digital cameras or memory sticks that connect directly into the printer bypassing the
computer altogether and reproduce quality color photograph reproductions of the original
Resume – The best output method of a resume would be as text either printed onto paper as a
hardcopy or as a document attachment in an email. There is little or no need for graphics in a
resume so simple text would be the preferred output. Since resumes are usually sent to multiple
businesses they can be printed rather quickly or sent by email even quicker to multiple places at
Memorandum – Memorandums are usually very small in size and should be output as text in
the form of an email or a type of instant message system. Printing of a memorandum would be
suitable also but only if where to posted in a space visible to all the people who needed to see it.
Printing off one copy for one person or multiple copies for each individual person would be a
waste of time and money. Email or an instant message would be the preferred way of sending out
a memorandum as it is the quickest and least expensive way of getting your message to who it
needs to go to.
Statistical report – Depending on the kind of statistics a printer or plotter would be the best to
use. A plotter would be best to use if the statistical reports contains any drawings or any detailed
graphics. Also a plotter can be used to make transparencies that can be used on overhead
projectors which is useful when presenting them to large groups of people where make each
individual a copy would be to time consuming or expensive to do.
Company annual report – The best output method for a company annual report would be a
printer or viewed as text on a intranet web page. Both of these output methods provide an
efficient way for the viewing the report. Printed versions could be passed out to individuals or a
page on the companies intranet could be used for one spot easy viewing by those who want/need
to see it .
Hard Disk – Hard Disk are used in order to readily store information that needs to be accessed
frequently and quickly. Hard Disk comes with multiple storage capacities in order to fit the needs
of the individual. Hard disks are also beneficial when stored information is constantly changing
as hard disks have the ability of erasing or changing the existing data that is recorded on it.
Floppy Disk - Floppy disk are small portable magnetic storage devices with a relatively small
storage capacity about 1.44MB. A floppy disk is mainly used to transport small files(usually text
documents) from one computer to another. Floppy disk are also sometimes used as installation
disk for some hardware and contain information such as hardware drivers or boot files for a hard
disk or operating system.
RAM – RAM or Random Access Memory is devices that temporarily stores data from a hard
disk that the Computer’s CPU needs access frequently. The University of Indiana’s University
Information Technology Services (U. of Indiana, 2007) says that the more RAM a computer has
then the faster it will function as it reduces the number of times that a CPU must read data from a
hard disk because RAM is faster then a hard disk.
CD ROM – A CD-ROM or Compact Disk-Read Only Memory is a type of optical disk is which
data can be written on and stored for later use. The most common applications for CD-ROM’s is
the storage of music files, installation disk for hardware/software, storage of digital pictures.
Tape – Tape is mainly used as means of backing up data written on hard disk or data stored in
databases in case of disasters such as hard disk failure, fires, or floods. Tapes are reusable so they
are often less expensive to use then other disk storage and can store a rather large amount of
Flash/Jump Drive – Flash or Jump drives (Lakeland, 2008) are small flash memory dives that
connect via a USB connection. Flash drives can hold from 64MB to up to about 2 GIG of data.
These storage devices are used to transfer data from one computer to another. Like floppy disk
they can be rewritten over and over again but they have the ability to hold a lot more data and are
faster then a floppy drive.
SPEED of a COMPUTER:
RAM – RAM as stated before increases computer speed by decreasing the amount of times a
CPU needs to access a hard disk for data. RAM does this by temporarily storing data needed by
CPU for easier and faster access. RAM also is faster then a hard disk and has a faster data
transfer rate making the computer able to perform functions faster.
Clock Speed – The clock speed usually measured in MHz or GHz and is the number of
electronic pulses generated by an oscillator of the CPU. Basically the more pulses a second the
faster the CPU and the more instructions a cpu can complete per cycle.
Data on Hard Disk – Computer speed is also affected by the data on a hard disk. The more data
there is on a disk then the longer it will take for the CPU to find and execute the instructions
associated with that data. Fragmentation of data stored on the hard disk will also affect the speed
of a computer. Fragmentation happens when data is broken down into smaller pieces and stored
in different places throughout the hard disk instead of being stored all together in one continuous
spot. This happens usually over time as data is rewritten, erased, or added to a hard disk.
Data on CD ROM – Data on a CD ROM affects the speed in much the same way as a hard disk
does as the more data it contains then the longer it takes. Speed of computer is also affected in
that the computer can only read/write as fast as the CD-ROM device drive will allow it.
Data on Floppy Disk – Data on a floppy disk affects the speed of a computer the same way as
CD-ROM does. As the computer will only read /write as fast as the disk or the disk device will