People that argue for the development of human-like intelligence in machines say that artificial intelligence needs human intelligence to handle the current jobs of humans. In his article, “Human-Level Artificial Intelligence? Be Serious!” Nilsson states, “Machines exhibiting true human-level intelligence should be able to do many of the things humans are able to do. Among these activities are the tasks or ‘jobs’ at which people are employed.” He wants to point out artificial intelligence can be taught to handle the jobs of human and benefit society as a whole. Artificial intelligence will become sensible beings that are able to make decisions for themselves and be free from programming limits. These freedoms will allow machines with human intelligence to work and think. Machines with human intelligence will allow room for improvement without the need of human insight.
When machines obtain the ability to think like a human, they will obtain the ability to learn and question. These two abilities will make these machines desir...
... middle of paper ...
...uffer at the hands of being limited and controlled. Humanity also does not need anymore people to be in society as the planet is full enough. There is also the danger of a rebellion made by the machines for their own freedom.
Flowers, Nancy. "What Are Human Rights?" Human Rights Here and Now. University of Minnesota, n.d. Web. 23 Nov. 2013.
Nilsson, Nils J. "Human-Level Artificial Intelligence? Be Serious!" Stanford University. Stanford University, 2005. Web. 23 Nov. 2013.
"What Does It Mean to Be A Citizen in a Global Society?" What Does It Mean to Be A Citizen in a Global Society? University at Albany, n.d. Web. 23 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When hearing about atrocities such as genocides and other crimes against humanity, one tends to question what humanity is worth. Does humanity really have a “value”. Maintaining humanity is important because it gives people hope and faith. Religion is based largely upon kindness and humanity, and many people are faithful to a religion as a source of hope. Humanity is threatened when atrocities, such as genocide, happen. Millions are killed, and this is a horrible crime that often happens as a result of war.... [tags: Crimes Against Humanity, Genocides, People]
1415 words (4 pages)
- Habitat for Humanity International Inc. is a 501(c)3 Christian nonprofit organization centered in Americus, Georgia that constructs and repairs houses throughout the world for low-income families. Millard and Linda Fuller founded the organization in 1976, with who were inspired to develop the organization after first visiting Koinonia Farm in 1965 for a service venture. Millard and Clarence Jordan, a farmer at Koinonia, created the idea of “partnership housing” where volunteers aid low-income people in the construction of suitable housing.... [tags: Habitat for Humanity]
2771 words (7.9 pages)
- Circuits, what is up with that. First you need to understand how all the parts of a circuit relate. The main thing that a circuit has is conductance and that all the parts are conductors. Conductors are materials in which electric charges move freely. If the material isn't a conductor, it is either a insulator or a semiconductor. Conductors are mainly metalic substances such as copper, aluminum, and gold. Conductors allow a charge to build up and move "freely" through the conductor. When dealing with circuits and the moving of electrons, free movement at the moment is the best movement.... [tags: electronics circuit board]
1569 words (4.5 pages)
- If you we're in the Niles area last December, you might have heard singing coming from a nearby house just off from Fifth Street in Niles. It wasn't Christmas Carolers spreading Holiday joy to the neighborhood, it was the many great individuals welcoming a new home owner to their newly built house. Christmas came early for a lucky Niles area family as Habitat for Humanity completed another build to someone whom had thought that home ownership was only a dream. This is typically how a traditional Habitat for Humanity dedication ceremony begins.... [tags: home, Habitat for Humanity, ]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Unbeknownst to us, there is a residing disparity that threatens the very existence of humanity. Something that does not quite yet exist poses a threat to the continuation of human existence as we know it. An unpredictable occurrence of avian influenza (bird flu) strain is the primary concern of public health professionals and health care administrators. The peril of a potential humanized strain of avian influenza outbreak is completely uncertain partly because of the impact which the ecosystem plays in the variance of viruses and the evolutionary structure of bacteria.... [tags: diseases, outbreak, existence of humanity]
1145 words (3.3 pages)
- ... They stabbed some women in the vagina and disemboweled others… Pregnant women had their stomachs slashed open and were left to die” (Glover 58). Although for some, the My Lai Massacre may seem less important than the Holocaust, for example, because of the smaller number of deaths, Glover does not see it that way. In his eyes, it does not matter how many deaths there were; just the mere fact that humans have let themselves do such obscene acts to other human beings is what matters. But what is even more important than those past events is how humanity, as a whole, can stop events such as the My Lai Massacre from ever happening again.... [tags: genocide, humanity, war]
1323 words (3.8 pages)
- In the 1940’s, computers took up entire buildings, but now computers in cell phones are much more powerful, efficient, and smaller than the machines in the 1940’s. This evolution of the computer and other electronics can be attributed to the invention of the integrated circuit. These are also commonly referred to as “microchips” and have been refined since they were invented to become smaller and more powerful. Integrated circuits are one of the greatest inventions of last century due to its profound influence on technology through the miniaturization and optimization of electronics.... [tags: Technology]
712 words (2 pages)
- The Nature of Humanity in the Work of Sherwood Anderson A common staple of horror stories—in film and on the page—is the scene of the frightened and indignant villagers chasing the monster who has been terrorizing the townsfolk. In Sherwood Anderson’s “Hands,” the protagonist, Adolph Myers (Wing Biddlebaum) is a well-intentioned individual whose actions the people around him contort so that he becomes more fiend than friend. In Wing Biddlebaum, the very aspects of his character that make him human are those that society distorts to make him into a maladapted monster: first, the mystery that surrounds him causes the townspeople to misunderstand him; second, because of the accusations of his... [tags: Humanity Sherwood Anderson Essays]
2361 words (6.7 pages)
- Humanity I was sitting in my laundry room the other day sorting through piles of dirty laundry, courtesy of my seven year old son (who seems to change his clothes every five minutes) and I found myself thinking, "If he only knew the complexities of the Watershed, the Everglades, the South Florida Water Management District, and the Biscayne & Floridian Aquifers maybe he wouldn't change his clothes so often." But then again maybe if he knew these things he would, like so many people in South Florida, not care.... [tags: Environemtn Humans Humanity Essays]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- Circuits There are two types of circuits that we dealt with in this lab. One type is a RC circuit, which has a power supply, resistor and a capacitor. The other type is a LR circuit, which has a power supply, inductor and a resistor. The first one was a RC circuit. The capacitance (C) of a capacitor is equal to the charge (Q) on either plate divided by the potential difference (VC) between the plates. C º Q / VC The capacitance has the units of farads (F). Using Kirchoff's Loop Rule, we know that The voltage drop across the resistor (VR) plus the voltage drop across the capacitor (VC) equals the voltage rise across the battery (x).... [tags: Papers]
436 words (1.2 pages)