“The American Kennel Club recognizes 150 different breeds of dogs and that number can soar to more than 400 if you count mixed breeds” (Sarah McCurdy). So how does a family decide on just one particular dog when there are so many different breeds? Understandably, picking the right pet dog for a family can require some research. When choosing a family dog one must take into account, the amount of upkeep and exercise the dog requires. A dog that sheds an excessive amount, has lingering health issues, or requires professional care may not be a desired fit for a busy or impoverished family. The temperament of the animal is also a large factor when deciding on a breed. A dog that is aggressive or easily frightened is not a favorable pet because a scared or provoked dog can potentially be dangerous or even deadly. Having a pet dog is something most families do for love, companionship, and to teach responsibility to their children, and according to thebostonchannel.com the top five best-suited dogs for families with children are the Newfoundland, the Pug, the Keeshond, the Golden Retriever, and the Labrador Retriever (Sarah McCurdy).
Fifth on the list for top family dog is the Newfoundland. According to Sara...
... middle of paper ...
... difficult choice and can help decide if that puppy in the window is an aggressive territorial bitter or a new family member to be cherished and loved.
"American Kennel Club.” American Kennel Club - akc.org. 2011. The American Kennel Club, Inc. 16 Feb. 2011
Dan. "The Best Family Dogs – 10 Breeds For Homes With Children | Dog Reflections.” The Dog Guide: Helping You Find Your Perfect Dog. © The Dog Guide, 5 May 2008. Web. 23 Feb. 2011.
McCurdy, Sarah. "What Are The 5 Best Dogs For Your Family? - Family News Story - WCVB Boston." Boston News, Massachusetts News, Weather & Sports, Channel 5 TV - WCVB TheBostonChannel.com. 2011. Hearst Stations Inc. 16 Feb. 2011
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When choosing a dog, I would choose a Weimaraner because they are some of the most playful, intelligent, athletic, beautiful, and loyal dogs that exist. Personality is one of the greatest aspects of these kinds of dogs. They are playful, smart, loving, and affectionate. Weimaraners have very strong and individual personalities of their own. These kinds of dogs are so smart and special that they have personalities and intelligence that may rival that of human beings. They need to be treated as a member of their people and family.... [tags: Dog Breeds, choosing a dog]
2574 words (7.4 pages)
- A Man's Best Friend For many of us, the animals in our lives are our faithful pals who make us laugh, that keep us company and love us no matter what. But a man’s best friend doesn’t necessarily have to be a dog; I believe that any animal can be considered to be a man’s best friend. Unfortunately, there are still many animals without a home, living on the streets and waiting to be part of a family .Most animals on the streets often suffer from hunger, illness, tumors, skin infections and open sores.... [tags: diversity in pets]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- With hundreds of breeds and an endless supply of mixed breeds available, how do you know how to choose the perfect dog for you. Finding the right dog or puppy can be very stressful. It is a huge decision to make and not one to rush in to. Everyone loves a puppy. But what if you choose one that doesn't fit you. You may end up with a dog that is too big or overactive for your personality. There are certain things to consider before making your choice. What are you looking for in a dog. Male dogs are known to be bigger than female dogs and to carry more dominance.... [tags: Instructional Essay, Process Essay, How To Essay]
466 words (1.3 pages)
- In recent times, there have been far too many recalls regarding store bought dog food. People do not realize what they are actually feeding their beloved pet. Unhealthy store bought dog food, and the negative effects they bring about, can result in owners switching over to homemade dog food. Most people want what is the best for their cuddly best friend. There are many reasons why homemade dog food is a better choice than store bought, such as homemade dog food being healthier, it has a multitude of differing tastes, one has the ability to monitor exactly what their pet consumes, and it's also financially cheaper, which most anyone can get behind.... [tags: pets, nutrition, ingredients]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- ... In nature, strong animals are often identified as the leader. They don’t show weaknesses or fear, and they protect their pack. Since humans have a natural tendency to show compassion, it is an unconscious effort to portray emotional energy onto a dog. The emotional energy that humans are capable of is often seen as loving acts of kindness; yet displaying emotional energy to a dog can be interpreted as being weak. With the aforesaid concept in mind, one must always remember to show calm and assertive energy to a dog, as they will not follow a leader who they perceive as weak (Millan, “Cesar’s Way” 116-117).... [tags: hunting, guarding, well-behave]
1236 words (3.5 pages)
- Choosing a career, for many people, is no easy task. I have a passion for animals and ever since I was small, working with animals is all I have ever dreamed of. Unfortunately there are hundreds of jobs involving animals, making my career search a bit more complicated. After hours and hours of searching I have chosen two careers that have really caught my attention, a veterinarian and working at an animal rescue. A Veterinarian tends to the healthcare needs of animals including a wide range of animals, depending on what size animals you choose to work with.... [tags: veterinary, pets, care, home]
655 words (1.9 pages)
- I. Step 1- Making the commitment While sitting in Small Business Management class one day, Ed Kanai leaned forward to his good friend Mark Oellig and said to him, "How about we rent Roods out to funeral homes and make money." For the purposes of this business plan, Roods is Ed's pit bull dog, whose real name is Rudi. Ed and Mark had been in mortuary school for some time now, both suffering through a failed class, and they are now finally ready to go out in the real world and make some serious cash.... [tags: Marketing]
2117 words (6 pages)
- Dogs and cats are the most popular pets in the whole world. Even though they’re both very popular, they are different in many ways. Some people gravitate towards the calmness of a cat, while others seek the companionship of a dog. Cats are a lot more independent and less expensive. Cats don’t require nor do they want to be trained to be a house pet. Dogs on the other hand are very loyal and will act as your best friend. Dogs require more attention and training to be a well behaved family member.... [tags: popular pets, animals, dog, cat]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Akita History A breed that is native to Japan, this hunting dog dates all the way back to the 17th century. The name “Akita” comes from the mountain region where the breed originates. There, the Akita was called matagi, or “esteemed dog hunter.” In Japan, the breed is believed to be a symbol of good health, and is known as a loyal defender of the family. The Akita is the product of generations of selective breeding, and ownership was once limited to members of the Imperial family or Japanese aristocracy.... [tags: matagi, esteemed dog hunter, ]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- Six months ago I decided that I needed an animal companion. I did a lot of research about Maltese dogs. I looked through the internet to learn if that was the right dog for me. After I was done with my research about Maltese, I looked through newspaper ads and visited the animal shelter to see if I could find one. I came upon an ad in the newspaper for some six month old Maltese puppies, which a lady was selling. When I first saw the puppies, I was surprise to see how cute they were.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Autobiographical Essay]
389 words (1.1 pages)