The Choices nutrition logo is found around European countries in supermarket chains and different locations. This logo is similar to the Smart Choices program, which appears on the front of the pack of certain food items, such as cereal boxes, breads, yogurts, etc. along the United States. Both these logos inform the customer that the food item complies with the recommended criteria specified by the World Health Organization (low sodium, sugar, saturated fats and trans fats). Although these two systems are produced to inform the consumer, they are not associated in any way, as the Choices logo is not pursuing its effectiveness in the United States. The study, therefore, attempted to determine if the availability of information related to the food items increased the sales of these Choices sandwiches and soups in the work place cafeterias.
The study collected data from a cluster randomized control trial of 13 cafeterias where the Choices food logo was placed on certain menu items and 12 work place cafeterias that were set as “control”, where the same items were sold with no logo on them. The study took place over 9 weeks, from March to May during the year 2009. The cafeterias were selected from Dutch companies employing office workers with mainly sedentary jobs. These were recruited in collaboration with the lead...
... middle of paper ...
...ibly more influenced by cravings or how appetizing a food looks.
With the current rise in these obese, and generally overweight population (sedentary office workers), making this information mandatory for presentation will most likely influence smarter food choices. These food choices may seem small but when compared with the huge list of risks associated with being overweight or obese, they play a great role. Studies like this give greater insight to the influence of food education on food habit and could greatly influence regulation of food sales for the better.
Vyth, E., Steenhuis, I., Heymans, M., Roodenburg, A., Brug, J., & Seidell, J. (2011). Influence of placement of a nutrition logo on cafeteria menu items on lunchtime food choices at dutch work sites. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 111(1), 131-136. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... 2013). There are ways to reduce the population’s sodium intake with some simple steps by ensuring that labels are read, and checked for high sodium, not adding too much salt to cooking and using herbs for flavour is recommended by the Heart Foundation (n.d.). There is not enough being done with changing the regulations to reduce sodium in food to be no more than 600mg added into food, because even with companies looking to make changes this is not fast or significant enough to make a difference and currently the statistics show that heart disease and stroke are the most common cause for death in New Zealand and that sodium is a major contributor to this.... [tags: Nutrition, Hypertension, New Zealand, Supermarket]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- Healthy Choices and the Barriers of Nutrition Education: Behavioral Economic Status In this decade, the roles of nutrition education have been influence in school and society due to the higher percentage of obesity and type II diabetes in among group with low education and low incomes. Many researchers and USDA assume that the cause of this issue is based on the food price, food availability, independent, lack of self-control and social class. These findings have important implication for nutrition education educator, parents, communities and government to provide the guideline of food choice, to gain the nutritional knowledge and skills for the students.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Education, Health]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- ... We provide rewarding benefits when you shop from us. It is our goal to offer quality products and innovative ideas that exceed your expectations. Furthermore, we also provide you with fair prices along with hassle-free shipping. Order custom branded promotional uniforms from AllStar Logo today. Chat with one of our representatives by clicking the chat button at the right corner of the screen. 5.Custom Embroidered Logo Restaurant Uniforms Because custom logos are so essential, almost every business uses this promotional method.... [tags: Logo, Brand, Graphic design, Trademark]
1184 words (3.4 pages)
- The time line shows the evolution of the Starbucks logo (by …) not only does its show from the 1971 to current day but it also takes a speculative view on how the logo will progress going according to its previous stages of reduction. The future stages of the logo gradually focus more on the mermaid character eventually removing it all together the tough is that as customers became more exposed to the previous logos that allowed for those stages of reduction in the future the colour alone will be enough to make the logo recognizable.... [tags: Brand, Logo, Graphic design, Brand management]
1596 words (4.6 pages)
- ... 43. Custom Columbia Ladies Clothing Embroidered with Logo A business can exude personality when it is represented in a professional manner. Adding a logo to your corporate ladies clothing will definitely cause customers to remember your name. As a result, that customer is likely to do business with you again. By integrating a name and logo on ladies apparel, you are adding value and brand visibility. This is probably the most useful way to get the word out about your business. If you decide to use a logo from AllStar Logo, you will enjoy our range of quality apparel.... [tags: Brand, Logo, Clothing, Promotional merchandise]
2029 words (5.8 pages)
- How the Tick apply to the food products All food industries have to send their products to the National Association of Testing Authorities in Australia for analysis the food products, whether they meet the entry requirement of the nutrient criteria depending on the category before they use the Tick on their products (10). In addition, food manufacturers need to submit packaging and promotional material for gaining the approval by the review of the Heart Foundation. The review is based on the promotional guidelines of this program, including assessing the nutrition information panels and how to use the Tick trademark.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Sugar, Health]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- Cheerios are a breakfast cereal eaten by millions of Americans everyday. General Mills shares to the public through their ads that Cheerios are a healthy breakfast and snack that brings the benefits of oats, low sugar, and vitamins and minerals into our diet. Honey Nut Cheerios is one of the many cereals that General Mills have in which they claimed is good for our health because of the ingredients they use. Some of the ingredients that are in the cereal have raised red flags to consumers like the sugar content that is much higher than other cereals and the GMO’s that are in it.... [tags: Cereal, Nutrition, Cheerios, Wheat]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- ... The rainbow colors did not possess separation lines so that it would be more difficult to print and duplicate, and the bite was on the apple to ensure proper scale so that nobody mistaked it for a cherry. Being one of the only multicolored logos of the time, and the only computer brand with an aesthetically pleasing logo, as opposed to simply the name of the brand, Jobs and Janoff successfully created a brand that drew people in. Even though the rainbow stripes are no longer a part of the trademark, the colors were the only intentionally meaningful part of the design.... [tags: Apple Inc., Brand, Logo, Computer]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- Nutrition is an important issue in my life for many reasons. The most important being my major, dental hygiene. I’ve taken a couple nutrition courses already. I also simply care for the fact that what we eat is associated with our health and how long we may live. Before I went to the website I didn’t expect to see many healthy benefits to eating McDonalds so I guess I was prepared. It said that McDonald’s food is linked to serious diseases because of the high fat and low fiber content. I know from my nutrition classes in the past that a low fiber diet is linked obesity, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, colon cancer, and many more things.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Nutrition If you go into any gym in the world and randomly ask 100 people to pinpoint the most important thing for achieving success in bodybuilding and fitness, you'd probably get just as many different answers. Most replies, however, would involve various training programs or styles. As important as training is, nutrition plays an equally large role — your diet is almost always responsible for either success or failure in bodybuilding and virtually any fitness program. Here I'll present a basic nutrition program that includes some key tips on nutritional timing, metabolic enhancement and preferred food and supplement choices.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
1292 words (3.7 pages)