When an individual makes the decision to pursue a higher degree of education in a desired field of study, he or she may have decided to follow a professional path in the world of libraries and information science. My career goal has been to become the director of the library system that I am currently working. As director, I oversee all library programs, budget, staff, and library operations. I would like to continue as director for the next 3 to 5 years. After reading about the other opportunities in the library world in “So You Want to be a Librarian” by Lauren Pressley, my goals may have changed. Plans to work in the youth services field of librarianship is a personal choice because of my strong desire to work with young adults. After 3-5 years, I would like to be working for the Division of Library and Information Services of Florida. I have received such valuable resources from the youth coordinator through workshops and webinars. They have provided guidance in my planning for services for the youth in our county library system. After meeting the team that works there each director works autonomously in their specific area, but have impact in all the libraries throughout the state of Florida.
The associations I selected include the Florida Library Association (FLA) and the Public Library Association (PLA). “The Public Library Association (PLA), with more than 9,000 members, is one of the fastest growing divisions of the American Library Association (ALA), the oldest and largest library association in the world” (PLA, 2014). The PLA provides communication, advocacy, continuing education and programming for those interested in advancement of public library service and its members. I ...
... middle of paper ...
.... (2014). Mission Statement. Retrieved from http://www.flalib.org/mission_state.php
Florida Library Association. (2014). American Code of Ethics. Retrieved from http://www.flalib.org/PDFdocuments/ala_Code_of_ethics.pdf
Gebhardt, M. (2013). Viva Florida, Viva Libraries. Retrieved from http://www.flalib.org/fl_lib_journal/Spring2013.pdf
Mishler,T. (2013). Hands-On Homeschool Programs. Retrieved from http://www.flalib.org/fl_lib_journal/Spring2013.pdf
Public Library Association.com. (2014). PLA receives IMLS Grant to continue leadership for public librarians. Retrieved from http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2014/04/pla-receives-imls-grant-continue-leadership-program-public-librarians
Public Library Association.com (2014). About PLA. Retrieved from http://www.ala.org/pla/
Public Library Association. Join PLA. Retrieved from http://www.ala.org/pla/membership
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, a famous American poet, said that “The student has his Rome, his Florence, his whole glowing Italy, within the four walls of his library. He has in his books the ruins of an antique world and the glories of a modern one.” Throughout history, libraries have provided people with a place to learn and develop. In fact, in ancient Egypt, the invading armies burned the Library of Alexandria because they knew the importance of the library to the people’s morale. Also, when an oppressive regime rises to power, one of their first goals deals with libraries, as they know that only by cutting off the knowledge that the libraries provide can they successfully establish their... [tags: Library Science ]
1290 words (3.7 pages)
- Administrators, librarians, teachers and parents all want the best for children. That is why the topic of intellectual freedom in school libraries is often emotional and heated. While the Library Bill of Rights clearly states that information access should not be denied because of age, when it comes to children the discussion gets complicated. Parents have the right to decide what materials are appropriate for their children, but the librarian has to be able to safeguard the collection for the rest of the school.... [tags: Library Science ]
1080 words (3.1 pages)
- My application for a Master of Science in Computer Science at your esteemed university is a step towards attaining my goal to build a successful career in the I.T. industry by pursuing a master’s degree in computer science which will greatly help me to enhance my existing knowledge about computers and also to develop my overall personality with the must-haves of an I.T. professional. The fascinating world of computers was first introduced to me at the tender age of 10 years, in my fourth grade. We had a practical lab session every week in school in which we were taught about the basic peripherals and working of the computer.... [tags: career choices]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Throughout my job analysis, I used two online career-searching databases to follow specific library-related positions that were of interest to me. The first database that I used was inalj.com (INALJ). I find this site very accessible. It seems to give a sometimes broad interpretation of library jobs, so it is a great way to find entry-level jobs in different areas that could give you library-related experience without being in a library. Despite its ease of use and broad job types, the site is volunteer driven which can be frustrating.... [tags: Library, Library science, Librarian]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Usually sociologists work in offices, laboratories or libraries. What will you study in sociology classes. If you choose career in sociology you will be studying about people, their behavior, eating habits, communication style, how they work and live. If you like to deal with people, do researches, read books, teach people you should consider career in sociology. Requirements for a good sociologist are to be open minded, to be able to judge situations critically, to have good communication skills.... [tags: interactions, degree, satisfaction]
541 words (1.5 pages)
- Informatinn on Black Libraries Namibia Resource Centre Southern Africa Library The Library The library's collection of books focuses primarily on southern Africa and publications originating from the region. Its holdings of publications printed in Namibia since the early 1950s are probably the most extensive outside Africa. The collection contains publications in European and African languages and emphasises the social sciences and humanities. The rare-book collection of early accounts of European explorations covers the whole of sub-Saharan Africa.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
531 words (1.5 pages)
- Selection is the branch of collection management concerned with deciding which items will be added to the library collection and made available to the library’s users (Kennedy, 2006, p.33). Librarians have the difficult task of trying to balance their collections by identifying, evaluating and selecting items in different formats which caters for the needs and wants of the current and future interests of their users. Exploring the traditional selection process of library materials, this essay will discuss the impact and demands that the increasing availability of electronic and digital materials are placing upon librarians today to maintain a well balanced collection.... [tags: libraries, librarians, ]
1349 words (3.9 pages)
- As digital natives grow older and technology improves it makes one wonder what the fate of libraries will be. Long gone are the days of the card catalog, with computers taking their place. There is no more browsing the stacks for books on what ever subject has peaked interest, because the Dewey decimal system is no longer taught. Gone are the days of shelves of books as far as you can see, taken away to make room for endless banks of computers, movies and cd's. The click of keys and chatter from private rooms used for multiple purposes is steadily replacing the muffled flipping of pages as technology advances.... [tags: Technology, Libraries, Dewey Decimal System]
1811 words (5.2 pages)
- A search for digital libraries returns a large number of choices. These choices include children’s, international, software, and ebooks in print or audio. Many of the libraries are themed like the International Children’s Digital Library (ICDL). This library has many book offerings from around the world. English is but one language choice available. The ICDL has great potential with non-English speaking students. The Indianapolis Marion County Public Library (IMCPL) offers a fabulous collection of post cards and World War I posters among a few other things.... [tags: Information Technology]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- Psychiatry Psychiatry is a medical field associated with different mental disorders of individuals. Psychiatrists deal with many individuals in society and treat them with the proper medicinal needs, while also communicating with them to find a suitable treatment that works for the individual. A psychiatrist must examine a patient thoroughly to give a proper diagnosis. Through history psychiatry has produced different sub categories, including: geriatric psychiatry, adolescence psychiatry, clinical psychiatry, and general psychiatry.... [tags: History, Career Information]
1342 words (3.8 pages)