Our nations current tax code is far too significant and complicated. Over 480 different tax forms exist for business professionals and individuals (Armey 2). The tax code also discourages workers from taking risks in the business world and crushes any entrepreneurial spirit. Many Americans have become frustrated with the high tax percentages and low exemptions as well. Tax percentages are some of the highest ever at an average rate of 39.6%. Only in 1981 when they reached 70 %, and during World War II at 94%, were American taxes any higher (Bartlett 2).
Tax evasion has become a dilemma with our contemporary taxes. Several people will often claim less income on their tax forms, ending up not having to pay as much in taxes. The raising of exemptions, deductions, and write-offs have increased as well. The Internal Revenue Service has also reported problems with citizens inflating such figures as exemptions, write-of...
... middle of paper ...
...27 February 2000.
Gillespie, Nick. “Flat Taxes Circle the Globe.” September 1997.
http://www.ncpa.org. 27 February 2000.
Mack, Connie. “Farewell Tax Code.” August 1996. http://www.senate.gov. 22
Mack, Connie. “The Flat Tax.” August 1996. http://www.senate.gov. 22
Mack, Connie. “Top Twelve Tax Facts.” August 1996. http://www.senate.gov.
27 February 2000.
Merski, Paul G. “The ABC’s of the Flat Tax.” January 1996.
http://www.senate.gov. 22 February 2000.
Mitchell, Daniel J. “The Flat Tax: The Final Step.” 25 February 1995.
http://www.heritage.org. 27 February 2000.
Mitchell, Daniel J. “Privacy: A Benefit of the Flat Tax.” http://www.ncpa.org.
27 February 2000.
Wilson, Mark D. “How Congress Can Lower Taxes on American Jobs.” May
1999. http://www.heritage.org. 27 February 2000
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Million Yen Our company has 6 months to pay a million yen to our suppliers. We must use caution to limit our transaction exposure in this transaction. Since we are focusing on our transaction exposure, we can use the forward exchange rate to limit our exposure. Another option we should look at is a leading strategy. First let’s look at our options for the forward exchange rate. At the present time the spot rate for the Yen is 119.75 per US Dollar. The total sell amount of Yen we would need to pay at the spot rate is USD is $8350.73 (The Forex Market, 2015).... [tags: United States dollar, Exchange rate, Dollar]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- World History In Thomas Friedman’s The World Is Flat he presents his idea of the globalization of the world in all areas; from economic to communication with other countries. Friedman is a journalist from the New York Times and most of his work focuses on economic and technological innovations and advancements, and furthermore how they are associated to history. The ideas he presents in this book are both plausible and convincing. The main focus is whether the world is “flat“. The answer to this question depends on the readers’ political, economical, and technological opinions.... [tags: The World is Flat]
1047 words (3 pages)
- When thinking if the world is flat or if it is not flat, we know it is not flat, because of science. On a more metaphorical standpoint, we can think of flatness as "Does it contain depth?". In this time frame does our world still contain depth. We have the ability to travel both high and low in our world. We can travel across the earth unlimited times in one life. With globalization we have to face, does our planet have any depth in which an outsider can not reach. Thomas Friedman believe the world is 'flat '.... [tags: The World Is Flat, Globalization, Earth]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- The U.S today has the largest population of cats in the world with 76,430,000. 60 billion of these felines are living on the streets (Cat Statistics). Cats, with their ability to provide emotional support are a great addition to the life of anyone (Coren,). With their soft fur and personality, cats could keep anyone company. Felines are the easiest animals to take care of and are perfect for a family with kids. Because of their inexpensive doctor bills they fit in any household (Diffen).... [tags: inexpensive, emotional, family]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Free College in the Flat World What if I told you there is a way to cut your school debt in half. If someone told you two years of college were free would you have more interest in attending. By making the first two years of college or community college free, this could become a reality. In Thomas Friedman’s book, “The World is Flat”, he explains modern globalization and how important education is. In modern culture, college is something that has shifted into something necessary to compete globally.... [tags: Higher education, College, The World Is Flat]
1242 words (3.5 pages)
- Filing income taxes is something all working Americans do, rich or poor; however, the amount paid isn’t what most would expect. Besides the obvious ways of reducing taxable income, such as decreasing the amount of withholdings, reducing increasing deductions, and taking advantage of tax credits, those who are determined to save, generally the upper class, find other ways (Perez). These ways may include investing, putting money into savings, or switching account types. This is what allows the rich to keep getting richer and prevents the poor from getting significantly better.... [tags: taxes, taxable income, tax credits]
1693 words (4.8 pages)
- ‘Pension freedoms’ were first introduced by the government in March 2014. With this type of scheme, monthly pension savings will be deposited into a pension pot, which will eventually be used to buy an income for retirement. ‘People reaching retirement age (age55) can now access their pension pot freely, taking out as much they wish, subject to tax.’  This unlimited access to pension funds allows individuals the freedom to spend however they see fit. This change mostly affects those with Defined Contribution (DC) schemes.... [tags: Pension, Retirement, Investment, Life annuity]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- Flat Tax Let’s Hear it for the Flat Tax Do you think we should abolish the Internal Revenue Service. If you were to ask your family, friends and neighbors, you would get a resounding YES. That was my outcome when I, as an income tax preparer, surveyed my clients as well as my family, friends and neighbors. The comments ran from “It’s too complex”, “It’s unfair” to “They are too powerful”. Not one person was happy with the tax code as it currently stands. That is not to say people do not want to pay their fair share.... [tags: Essays Papers]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- The Flat Tax TITLE: THE WRONG WAY TO SELL A NEW IDEA Many people would like you to believe that flat tax is so named because it will flatten your finances. That at the least is the intended conclusion. By eliminating personal deductions like mortgagee interest payments, the study claims, the flat tax would reduce housing values in this country by upwards of 10 percent.... [tags: Essays Papers]
673 words (1.9 pages)
- Flat Tax An Analysis of the Flat Tax Rate System Should the flat tax rate system be implemented. No, the flat tax rate system should not be implemented. In this paper, the pro arguments will be presented, which will affirm the thesis. Then the con arguments will be presented. A rebuttal will then follow, and finally, the author’s conclusion will be offered. The loudest clamor against the flat tax would come from homeowners, Realtors, and builders, who would be hammered as the flat tax does away with deductions for mortgage interest payments and local property taxes.... [tags: Economics]
2996 words (8.6 pages)