Plato is the author of a legend that is at least 2,000 years old. The story of Atlantis was passed down in the only way the people in that day could: by telling its story to the next generation orally. The reliability of the story has long been questioned, even Plato’s student, Aristotle, thought that the story was meant to be used as an educational fable to show that mighty and unethical nations would not last (Martin 10). However, Plato himself emphasized that Atlantis was a realistic truth. In Plato’s document, the character Critias replies to Socrates when asked if the story is true by saying, “I will tell an old-world story which I heard from an aged man; for Critias, at the time of telling it, was as he said, nearly ninety years of age, and I was about ten” (Plato 205).Critiasalso states, “L...
... middle of paper ...
...RS Renaissance.Web. 12 Jan 2012.
Christopher, Kevin. "Atlantis Behind the Myth: No Way, No How, No Where."Skeptical Inquirer. Jan./Feb. 2002: 44-45. SIRS Renaissance.Web. 12 Jan 2012.
Donnelly, Ignatius. Atlantis: The Antediluvian World.Ed. Egerton Sykes. Modern Revised ed. New York: Gramercy, 1949. Print.
Plato. "Appendix 1: Plato's Dialogs, Critias and Timaeus." Fire in the Sea: The SantoriniVolcano : Natural History and the Legend of Atlantis. By Walter L. Friedrich.Trans. Alexander R. McBirney. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000. 205+. Print.
Martin, Michael. The Unexplained Atlantis. Mankato, MN: Capstone, 2007. Print.
McMullen, David. Atlantis: The Missing Continent. New York, New York: Contemporary Perspectives, 1977. Print.
Muck, Otto."The Geological Evidence."The Secret of Atlantis.Trans. Fred Bradley. London: William Collins Sons & Co., 1976. 134. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Atlantis ~ The Lost City Atlantis is known to most people as a legend or myth written by the Greek poet Plato, but is it possible that this lost continent really existed. Is it all legend or could there be some fact to it. Contrary to common belief there have been numerous geological and historical findings that actually give proof to the existence of this lost city. In the book Imagining Atlantis it tells us the story written by Plato. "According to ancient Egyptian temple records the Athenians fought an aggressive war against the rulers of Atlantis some nine thousand years earlier and won.... [tags: essays research papers]
1320 words (3.8 pages)
- Atlantis Myth vs Today’s Science Now that we know the foundation of the Atlantis myth we can now speculate if this is even possible with today’s science and geography. Atlantis was said to be bigger than Asia Minor and Libya combined. This statement made by Plato in the Critias is most likely not true because Atlantis would have to be in the Mediterranean Sea or within a few miles of the Mediterranean Sea such as the Atlantic Ocean or Indian Ocean. The other thought could be that the size was gravely misjudged through the ages and maybe when it got to Plato the myth had outgrown the size of the city.... [tags: History]
692 words (2 pages)
- The Bermuda Triangle is one of the biggest mysterious places in the world. Its exact location is at the Atlantic Ocean, which is bounded by Miami, Bermuda and Puerto Rico. In a normal daily life, it is a part of a regularly sailed shipping lane with cruise ships and many small boats also frequently sailing through the sea. Aircraft are also common in the Bermuda Triangle with both private and commercial planes commonly flying over it. While it has a nickname that shows its horror side-the Devil's Triangle.... [tags: Bermuda, Atlantis, UFO]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- About 11,000 years ago, in the somewhere in the Atlantic ocean, was an island called Atlantis. In atlantis there resided a race of people with great technologies far more advanced than any other (“Lost Civilizations:The Story of Atlantis”). According to Greek mythology, Atlantis was home of the Greek god, Poseidon. Poseidon fell in love with a mortal woman and built her a home in the middle of the island and surrounded it with water and land to keep her protected (“Lost Civilization:The Story of Atlantis”).... [tags: mythical places]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- Introduction We have all heard about the legend of Atlantis. It’s said that Atlantis was an advanced civilization with highly developed economy and technology. But one day, catastrophe occurred in sudden. Atlantis entirely sank beneath the waves in only one day and one night. In thousands of years, Atlantis has caught the imagination of people from all over the world. Many adventurers, historians and anthropologists spent their whole life trying to open the mysterious veil of Atlantis. But has Atlantis ever existed.... [tags: Mythology]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- Introduction. Atlantis was a continent of the Atlantic Ocean where, according to Plato, an advanced civilization developed some 11,600 years ago. Plato affirms that, as the result of a huge volcanic cataclysm of worldwide extent, this continent sunk away underseas, disappearing forever. Official Science - the one you learn at school - rejects the actual existence of Atlantis, as it has so far been unable to find any traces of its reality. But the reason for that is simple to explain. Everybody has been looking in the wrong locations, as Atlantis indeed lies in the opposite side of the world.... [tags: essays research papers]
1933 words (5.5 pages)
- Believed to be literally swallowed by the sea, Atlantis is a mysterious, advanced society that seems to have just vanished. Although some say Atlantis is a myth, there is reliable proof that Atlantis is a myth, there is reliable proof that Atlantis really did exist, and is more than just a myth. The idea of this “vanishing city” first came from Plato, who began discussing this legendary civilization in 355 B.C. Atlantis was a powerful and somewhat greedy civilization established by Poseidon (the god of the sea).... [tags: location, destruction, phycisal evidence]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- The Atlantis resort is a casino and water park located on Paradise Island, The Bahamas. The resort officially opened in 1998, it’s Coral and Beach towers opened as the Trump Plaza. After the Royal towers were built the name of the resort changed to Atlantis. Later the Coral and Beach towers were refurbished to match the theme of the Royal towers. A 600-suite luxury hotel was opened on March 28, 2007, called The Cove Atlantis. The Reef Atlantis, another tower with 497 rooms, opened December 19, 2007.... [tags: Travel & Leisure]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- ATLANTIS Where is it. Atlantis was an ancient civilization which was destroyed in one massive explosion. Many people have searched for Atlantis but it has still not been found. According to Plato, a Greek philosopher, Atlantis was located in the Atlantic Ocean past the pillars of Hercules, the Strait of Gibraltar. Plato has been credited with many scientific discoveries, but Atlantis’s existence is still unproved. “Plato, one of the fathers of western thought, is out sole direct source for the legend of Atlantis.... [tags: essays research papers]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- In the early 18th century, New France prospered in terms of population and agricultural production. After the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 which ended the War of the Spanish Succession, France was poised to make a decision at the bargaining table with the victor's of Britain. The contents of the cease fire also included the relinquishment of lands and France, who lost the war considerably, gave up Acadia and Île Ste. Jean only to keep the far eastern port of Louisbourg (Wikipedia, 2004). The habitant of New France heard of this and remained incognito for the moment, only to wait and see what Britain would do next.... [tags: European History]
1384 words (4 pages)