The American Pit Bull Terrier can be traced back to England in the 19th century where initially the breed was created to combine the gameness, speed, and agility of a Terrier with the strength and athleticism of a Bulldog (Bolhafner 39). According to Stahlkuppe, “gameness is the willingness of a dog to continue fighting, or hunting, or pulling a cart, or defending its owner, through great stress, intense pain, and even until death” (61). Sta...
... middle of paper ...
...her it is to be a loving family pet, household protector, competitor, or fighter. It is up to the owner to properly train and socialize their dog, show them what they want and the Pitt Bull will be sure to meet whatever demands we place in front of them.
“American Pit Bull Terrier” ukcdogs.com. Revised 1 Nov2008: Web. 22 May 2012.
Bellamy, Louise. “Pit bulls are loyal, loving dogs” The Oaklahoman 18 July. 2005: pg 10A. Print
Bolhanfner, Stephen.“ Meet the American Staffordshire/ pit bull terrier” St. Louis Post dispatch 7 May. 2005: pg 39. Print.
Devlin, Mike. “ Top 10 banned dog breeds” Listverse.com. 24 Aug 2011. Web. 23 May 2012.
Dorsey, Jannie. “ Pit bull earns top dog rank in bites” Tampa Tribune 28 July. 2009: pg 4. Print.
Stahlkuppe, Joe. The American Pitt Bull Terrier Handbook. Hauppauge, New York: Barron’s, 2000. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When most people today see a pitbull they see it as a monster who could snap at any moment. Something that they should protect themselves and their family from; but that is not necessarily true. Is any one man or woman exactly like the last. A human being’s personality along with their capacity for violence is molded by their past and how they were treated growing up; pit bulls are no different. In today’s society pitbulls are unfairly discriminated against because they are favored among street gangs and dog fighting rings, leaving a staggering number of loyal and loving dogs homeless or mistreated.... [tags: Pit Bull, American Pit Bull Terrier]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- American Pit Bull Terrier, with a firm muscular body prepared to attack at any moment; jaws of steel that have a death grip, and a bark just as intimidating as their appearance would make anyone terrified of this breed. With the media so fixated on the Pit Bull breed, these dogs have been given a reputation of being aggressive and vicious. They are never reported on the respectable acts they do. The consequence of the media’s excessive enthusiasm, and numerous reported dog bites, have some states sense they are a danger to the community and have banned the breed.... [tags: American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogs, Breed]
1662 words (4.7 pages)
- The world seems to believe that the American Pit Bull Terrier is a vicious breed of dog, violent and ruthless by nature, and that they should be treated as such. However, what if this stereotype about the pit bull that modern society bases their opinions off of, is an improper representation of the breed. The pit bull faces much hatred and neglect in this day and age, but in their prime, the pit bull was considered to be the perfect dog. Although bred for physique and stature that was perfect in the dog-fighting world, the pit bull grew in popularity and became high demand as a man’s best friend.... [tags: bread, bulldog, ruthless]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- The America Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) was breed to be a sport dog, they are athletic energetic and a good companion. That being said over the years their reputation has dropped dramatically form once being Americas most popular dog to Americas most hated and feared dog. Pit bulls are nothing like the poor reputation that they have, they are very smart, loving, and friendly dogs. In America, dogs have become part of families and it is not taboo to see them treated, loved and taken care of as if they were a blood relative.... [tags: dogs, doberman, ruthless dogs]
1621 words (4.6 pages)
- This paper argues for the need of a Pit Bull rescue center in Licking County. The need comes from the alarming rise in the numbers of Pit Bulls that the Licking County Animal Shelter has to euthanize every year, simply because they do not want to adopt them out. This has become a growing problem in Licking County and many people want to see a change. They don’t want a drastic change, just something simple that can save these dogs. Having a shelter just for these unappreciated canines is a simple solution that can be easily achieved in Licking County, and that is exactly what I am proposing. ‘Bully Breeds’ Deserve a Home When most people hear ‘Pit Bull,’ they immediately thi... [tags: Pit Bull, American Pit Bull Terrier, Dog]
1686 words (4.8 pages)
- When I got a Pit Bull, I knew the risks I was taking. These types of dogs seem to be violent and aggressive. People see them as trouble, dangerous, and killers. This is because of the reputation of the Pit Bull and how they are forced to fight each other against their will. Pit Bulls are known to be used for dog fights and people see them only as wild animals rather household pets or part of the family. We should find a way to help change this point of view. This can all be changed by the way one purchases a Pit Bull.... [tags: American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull, Dog]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Does the Pit Bull Deserve Its Reputation as a Vicious Dog. Just the sight of a pit bull instills apprehension and even fear in some people, who believe the dog may attack them for no reason and not let go. Many communities have placed this ostracized breed under severe restrictions; some municipalities have implemented bans outlawing ownership of the breed. Today’s society regards the pit bull as the most vicious and unpredictable of all dog breeds, whereas admirers of the pit bull believe this misconception stems from irresponsible owners and the inflammatory and negative publicity concerning this breed.... [tags: American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull]
1597 words (4.6 pages)
- These two breeds, the Boxer and the American Staffordshire Terrier are a great fit to family life. It been said that dog is man's best friend, and because of this, it makes them great companions. For instance, when an owner tells his dog that he is a good boy, the dog happily wags its tail. Then, there are those times when an owner has to discipline his or her dog; it creeps away with that sad puppy dog look. The Boxer, and the American Staffordshire Terrier; have some similarities, but are different in many ways as to their ancestry, appearance, and health.... [tags: Dogs]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- What makes these two dogs so similar is that they are two of the top most popular breeds here in the United States. It has been said that dogs is man's best friend, and because of this, it makes them great companions. These two breeds, the Boxer and the American Staffordshire terrier fit very easily into family life. When an owner tells his dog that he is a good boy, the dog happily wags its tail. Then, there are those times when an owner has to discipline his dog, the dog, then creeps away with that sad puppy dog look on its face.... [tags: Animal Research ]
992 words (2.8 pages)
- Managing Pit Bull Terriers Queensland premier, Peter Beattie says "having a Pit Bull Terrier is like having a loaded gun in your house," this is wrong. It is the bad owners of these dogs that should be held accountable to the destructive behavior of these breeds. Nobody can deny that Pit Bull terriers don't have a bad reputation but that doesn't mean the breed should be eliminated. It is the decent dogs of the breed that are being wrongly accused for the actions of other dogs.... [tags: Papers]
521 words (1.5 pages)