This isn’t the life of a child, this should be the age of teeth falling out, having messy hair, and running and getting as dirty as can be with no care. Sadly, these kids may never have the joy of experiencing a “normal childhood.” There are parents that will do anything to ensure that their children will be safe, sometimes to the point of being overprotective. Unlike those parents, some will allow kids to have hair spray, makeup and tans on their developing bodies. Why is it okay to allow toddlers into the pageant world and sexualizing their bodies by making them wear short dresses and heels? Allowing their children to be judged based on their looks, parents are opening their kids up to low self-esteem. This may later lead to mental health problems. In addition to this, pageants are unnecessarily expensive. Why would parents enter their children into these traumatizing events, when they could be with their kids outside playing and he...
... middle of paper ...
... on for one minute; Brenna has a mental breakdown and starts to scream at the TLC crew.
Are beauty contests a positive thing for young girls? Beauty pageants are a horrific way to “show off” your child. In society, there are countless young teens and girls that hate their bodies. To start off, a child in their early life should not know what is classified as “pretty or beautiful.” These pageants give young girls a sexualized look. Secondly, cost to participate in these events isn’t economical; this money could be spent towards their future college expenses. The last reason, pageants can cause many of these young girls to develop emotional and mental problems. This would affect their development in the future, these issues are just the surface of why these pageants are unrealistic and cause countless problems for the groups of girls participating in traumatic events.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Zadie Smith's White Teeth Zadie Smith’s novel, White Teeth, is chock full of potential deconstruction ideas; however, an exciting scene to deconstruct is in “The Final Space” chapter when the Iqbals and the Jones are on the public bus heading towards the FutureMouse exhibit. The most obvious binary opposite is that of parent or adult and child. Adults are without doubt the privileged binary. They signify knowledge, wisdom, teaching, and training of young ones along with patience and selflessness, and are allowed to use bad words without penalty.... [tags: Zadie Smith White Teeth Essays]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Have you ever been on a drive and became enthralled by the reminiscent stories of an elderly lady. We were driving around Salt Lake City with family looking at homes where my grandmother, Betty, lived as a child and early in her married life. She was engaged in reminiscing and shared many stories of her childhood and early married life. The interview was finished at her home. The information was written in note form. My grandmother is an 82-year-old Caucasian. Her third husband passed away a little more than a year ago.... [tags: Meaning of life, Family, Middle age, Old age]
2035 words (5.8 pages)
- ETHNIC ELDER INTERVIEW Mr. M.P. is a 76 year old Caucasian male, widowed, and lived independently in his own home. Mr. MP stated that he finished a two-year Associate Degree and that his past occupation was in building trades or carpentry. Golfing, watching movies, volunteering, and gardening were some of his leisure time activities. I interviewed Mr. MP at a parking lot at a Safeway Supermarket in Lodi, CA. as I was helping him find his parked car. According to Mr. MP, he’s doing pretty well health status wise, and he mentioned that he uses a cane occasionally due to osteoporosis.... [tags: Old age, Gerontology, Ageing, Death]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- Best way to whiten your teeth The pressure today to market yourself as a brand is tremendous. If you own a website or business, marketing is essential. Even if you only share personal details on social media, how you present yourself is very important, and a white, bright smile reigns supreme. A famous Hollywood television producer - when asked about game show contestant selection criteria - said that the biggest problem was finding contestants with good oral hygiene and bright smiles. This comment was made decades before teeth whitening kits, whitening strips and other products hit the shelves.... [tags: Dentistry, Teeth, Dental surgery]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- Introduction One of the leading causes of hospitalization and mortality in older people is the fear of falling or falling itself. Falling accounts for on average more than 2.5 million injuries treated in emergency rooms every year. Not to mention every 20 min an older adult dies from a fall, accounting for over 21,000 deaths in a year on average. This can get very costly; it is estimated to hit a high of $67.7 billion by the year 2020. Falling or the fear of falling not only leads to physical harm but also leads to mental distress in the elderly.... [tags: Old age, Gerontology, Middle age, Ageing]
1053 words (3 pages)
- Cosmetic Dentistry for Misaligned Teeth Do you have crooked teeth. If so, you probably know how this problem can easily put a damper on your smile. But thanks to cosmetic dentistry, there are several types of procedures that are successful in correcting misaligned teeth. If you’ve stopped smiling because of your crooked teeth, consider what these cosmetic dental treatments have to offer, so you can determine the procedure that’s best for you. Braces Braces work by applying steady and gentle pressure on crooked teeth.... [tags: Dentistry, Teeth, Veneer, Dental implant]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Zadie Smith's multicultural, post colonial novel has been widely discussed in the literary world. At the age of 25, Zadie Smith captures the immensely believable lives of an aging Bangladeshi Muslim man, a too-concerned middle-class white woman poking her nose in all the wrong business, and an adolescent half-Jamaican girl with self-esteem issues. Over the span of about 30 years, the three families in the book undergo a wide web of separate but somehow connected circumstances, and Smith became an award- winning author because of her writing.... [tags: Essay on White Teeth 2014]
2700 words (7.7 pages)
- Atmosphere through Detailed Language in Snow Falling On Cedars Snow Falling On Cedars, by David Guterson, is an emotional story. The death of a fisherman, Carl Heine, on San Piedro Island, turns into a murder trial for Japanese American, Kabuo Miyamoto. Also an inter-racial childhood romance between Ishmael Chambers and Hatsue Miyamoto shifts back and forth in time and the World War II Japanese Internment story unfolds as part of the romance. David Guterson creates atmosphere in the opening chapters through detailed language.... [tags: Snow Falling Cedars Essays]
1396 words (4 pages)
- Adeline Yen Mah's "Falling Leaves" Works Cited Missing For years, the world has been oblivious to the painful, degrading traditions toward women that take place behind the “Bamboo Curtain” of China. Falling Leaves , by Adeline Yen Mah, unveils the darker side of Chinese culture through her eyes as an unwanted Chinese daughter. Shocking mistreatment, of not only the author, but also the females in her extended family keep suspense alive throughout the book. My heart sobs at each account of Adeline’s tortured life, but through it all, there was a flicker of her spirit that could not be put out.... [tags: Mah Falling Leaves Gender Girls Essays]
817 words (2.3 pages)
- I found the book White Teeth to be very interesting, it tackled a lot of issues that maybe somewhat common nowadays but approached it in a very universal way so that anyone from any background could understand it. The book touches on what it’s like for families of different cultural backgrounds to come together and live somewhere completely unlike where they are from and try to teach their children to keep their the families traditional ways of life. This task can be very hard for immigrant families of every culture.... [tags: Book Review White teeth]
953 words (2.7 pages)