Not only has porn become more popular, it has become more available and much more explicit. Years ago, the most explicit pornography that one could access was a Playboy magazine, but today that is known as ‘softcore porn’. In today’s world of high-speed Internet, extremely graphic videos of every conceivable genre of sex can be found for free at the click of a button (Clay).
With technology becoming easier and easier to use and in part due to the high sexual emphasis in the American culture, men and women are being exposed to pornography earlier and earlier, with the average age being about 12 for men and 13 for women (Gilkerson). These children easily keep their internet wanderings secret from their less technologically savvy parents, as about 62% of teens say their parents know little or nothing about the websites they visit (San Diego Court).
While it is certainly interesting to see how deeply pornography has permeated our culture, it does nothing to show whether this is good or bad. Many defend their right to record, publish, sell, buy, and view pornography, but that is not the real question. Rational people will decide for themselves what they should do about it and parents will decide what they need to do for their children, but first pornography must analyzed. Only after the pros and cons are measured should the policy be altered.
The pornography of today is a relatively recent phenomenon, with high speed interne...
... middle of paper ...
...ional Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 24 Jan. 2014. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
"Sexual Addiction Help » Blog Archive » Sex Addiction Withdrawal Symptoms." Sexual Addiction Help RSS. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
Wilson, Gary. "Your Brain On Porn." Your Brain On Porn. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
Wise, Roy A. “Role of dopamine in food reward and reinforcement”. National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 15 June 2006. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
Yuan, Kai, et al."Microstructure Abnormalities in Adolescents with Internet Addiction Disorder." PLOS ONE:. Web. 23 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pornography on the Internet is affordable, available, and abundant. One can easily find websites for viewing this type of material. Although the reports on the actual number of these sites vary, the availability and accessibility of the sites are rarely disputed. Some critics of this form of expression or form of obscenity believe that the pornography itself can cause pornography addictions. Internet pornography does not produce addicts, but rather the propensity to be a pornography addict already exists within individuals by the time they reach adulthood and sustains itself within those individuals.... [tags: Internet Pornography Essays 2015]
4354 words (12.4 pages)
- For the past decade or two, Internet is a channel that promotes an access to information and communication in the global world. It is one of the most powerful tool. Now-a-days, an access to the internet has become easier than ever, whether we are using a computer, phone or tablets. There is no doubt that people are spending more and more time online. Because many people use the internet for their career and education, it is hard to differentiate between the normal usage and excessive usage of the internet.... [tags: Internet, Addiction, Pornography, Internet access]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- In his article “internet addiction”, published in 2010 by Reason Magazine, Greg Beato tries to show how internet addiction, an excessive behavior brought up by the psychiatrist Ivan Gilbert, is an important issue for the society and why it should be considered as a behavior disorder. He supports his thesis by using a lot of evidence such as graphics, statistics, and researches. Although, Beato’s arguments about the causes of internet addiction and the reasons why it should add to the DSM are mostly true, some of his observations on the future are pessimistic.... [tags: Addiction, Pornography, Internet]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- Approximately twenty-five years ago, most of one’s entertainment came from spending time together, playing outside, and watching television with loved ones or friends. Computers were something that the rich people had in their homes and the internet was not on very many peoples list as a must have. However, the internet has become a necessity in homes all around the world. Most interactions take place online on websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and many more. Yet technology did not stop with the introduction of the internet on one’s home computer it went a step further with the introduction of smart phones that have put the power of the internet into the hands of almost everyone... [tags: Pornography, Internet, Addiction]
1452 words (4.1 pages)
- Determining if the Internet can be addictive, different studies have been conducted to evaluate the general public’s use of the Internet. There is a number of addictions that can develop using the Internet such as gaming, pornography, shopping, gambling and social networking. To determine what addiction is worse is depending on the person’s living situations including house hold income, marital status, job status, and social status. Many different research methods have been used to determine if there is such an addiction to the Internet.... [tags: Addiction, Pornography, Internet]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- The world we live in absolutely loves the convenience of the mighty powerful internet. We, as a society, have actually become addicted to this lovable convenience. Some say the internet has brought them close to certain people and others will say it has driven them away from certain people. The internet has consumed the lives of many children. From video games to facebook, our children have found the necessity to log into the addiction on a daily basis. The usage of internet has consumed the lives of children as early of ages of five.... [tags: Internet, Pornography, Addiction, Online chat]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- The Internet: The Road to Regulation The Internet has grown exponentially, in such a short period of time, that speculation or reflection upon its lifespan of 20-odd years may present a feeling of substantial progression in contemporary civilization. The complete freedom of expression, a stepping-stone in the structure of the Internet, has separated the Internet from other more conventional forms of media, such as newspapers and television. Nearly instantaneous access to information and global news has paved the way for the future of humanity, thus further enhancing our thirst for societal advancement.... [tags: Addiction, Internet, Pornography, Internet access]
2352 words (6.7 pages)
- The article by Carlisle et al., (2016) highlights a survey on Internet addiction, the challenges, and possible solutions. The recent internet expansions and connectivity across the globe has resulted in a number of benefits as well as challenges. Reports indicate that over a third of the world’s population is currently connected to the internet, with the trend expanding significantly. The US is reported to have increased its high internet connections from 2.8 million to 206 million from 1999 to 2011.... [tags: Addiction, Pornography, Drug addiction, Diagnosis]
1258 words (3.6 pages)
- To redeem themselves from the shame adults would say Internet pornography would be considered freedom of speech, but listed in that 1st amendment freedom of speech is evident but it has limitations. Internet pornography also affects adult addicts. It could get out of hand or to the point where it could make an impact on others where someone could get raped or infected with a disease. America is on the brink of banning Internet pornography, in fact down did ban pornography, but most individuals still entertain themselves with these sites.... [tags: Pornography, Addiction, Pornography addiction]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- ... Pearson Education. I agree that male adolescents are somewhat desensitized to internet pornography, particular in regards to the objectification of females as being submissive and subservient. Pornography images is everywhere, in television shows, movies, and even on music videos. These things shows the men being dominant and the woman being submissive. It’s not only the internet but all activities as those, that we may encounter in our daily lives. A person can even search for particular things on the internet and sexual images can pop up.... [tags: Addiction, Pornography, Human sexuality]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Roman Empire History: The Battle of Teutoburg Forest
- Biography of Lucas Cranach the Elder
- The Effectiveness of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy on ADHD
- Norse vs. Christian Mythology: The Beginning and the End
- Profit and Compassion: How They Affect Relationships in The Great Gatsby
- Helping and Healing Moments of the Eucharist: Awareness of Those Gathered at the Table