He unlocked the front door, dropped into the driver’s seat, and slapped a key into the ignition. The Volvo’s engine grumbled to life. The car’s electrical system chimed once, and the radio captured AM waves from the morning broadcast. A DJ’s tinny voice carried over the AM static, “Even with Florida still undecided, the results are official - Barack Obama and Joe Biden have been re-elected.”
William punched the radio in an effort to silence the report. “Ouch, fuck,” William whimpered, caressing a bruised knuckle. The broadcast continued by cutting to Obama’s re-election acceptance speech. “Stupid fucking Americans,” William hissed. He pus...
... middle of paper ...
...tiative,” the professor said.
“That’s a bunch of crap and we all know it. Obama used his Race to the Top grants to bribe the states into adopting the Common Core so that the federal government can direct education policy. This is another example of Obama’s tyranny.”
A pretty, blonde student in the front row turned and faced William. “Why don’t you just be quiet,” she said. “Nobody cares about your political nonsense. It might be helpful if you stop getting your news from Glenn Beck”
“It’s not nonsense,” William said. “The Common Core is a blatant attempt to limit state rights and expand the authority of the federal government.”
A boy sitting next to the blonde co-ed turned and faced William. “You heard the lady, right? So, shut up. No one gives a damn about your Tea Party nonsense.”
The boy and girl exchanged a tender glance, and turned back to face the professor.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The World Trade Organization or WTO, is an international organization and its chief function is to open trade in order to benefit all countries in membership. According to the WTO’s website, “The World Trade Organization (WTO) deals with the global rules of trade between nations. Its main function is to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possible.” Established on January 1, 1995, the WTO remains the only global international organization which deals with the rules of trade between nations.... [tags: World Trade Organization, International trade]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- Chief Legislator is supposed to be the highest position in the United States. Otherwise known as the President of the United States of America, Barack Obama currently holds that position; however, there is a lot of conflict between Obama and congress which is putting a damper on future plans to help improve the country. The government is setup so there is equality within the system, Congress and the President go hand and hand even though sometimes it might not work out the way it was planned. Sometimes the outcome can all depend on the views of the President and Congress.... [tags: chief of state, usa president, usa congress]
1547 words (4.4 pages)
- The Dramatic Function of the Inspector in An Inspector Calls by J.B. Priestley The play ‘An Inspector Calls’ was written by J.B. Priestley and it is about a rich family, a poor girl, an inspector and what connection each member of the family has to do with the poor girl, who ends up committing suicide. It begins with the family Arthur Birling, his wife, his son Eric, his daughter Sheila and Sheila’s fiancé Gerald. They are all having a drink celebrating the engagement of Sheila and Gerald.... [tags: Papers]
2459 words (7 pages)
- The Function and Symbolism of the Inspector in J.B. Priestley's An Inspector Calls In Â“An Inspector CallsÂ” by J.B. Priestley the Inspector is used as a voice of conscience and morality. The Inspector does this while interrogating a very prosperous and upper-middle class family who believe themselves to be above all. The dramatic impact that Priestley uses shows the importance, validity and presence of the inspector. Priestley uses effects such as changing the lighting Â“The lighting should be pink and intimate until the inspector arrives, and then it should be brighter and harderÂ” in the stage directions.... [tags: Papers]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- Summary: With the recent resignation of Police Chief Charles Johnson, the city of Dover has received 53 applications for the vacant position. To sort through the applicants a four step process has been implemented. They include screening respondents, a review board in which the candidates will be interviewed and subsequently ranked, interview with City Manager Spanning and finally a meeting with the city council. It is upon the appointment of City Manager Will Spanning and the confirmation of the seven member city council that the position will be filled.... [tags: Applications for Police Chief]
416 words (1.2 pages)
- The Function of the Inspector in the Play An Inspector Calls by J.B. Priestley The Inspector is the backbone of the play and orchestrates the entire storyline. He is described on his entrance as creating 'an impression of massiveness, solidity and purposefulness.' symbolising the fact that he is an unstoppable force within the play. His 'disconcerting habit of looking hard at the person he addresses before speaking' gives the impression that he sees through surface appearances to the real person beneath.... [tags: Papers]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- The Thriller Like Suspense in An Inspector Calls by J.B. Priestley “An Inspector Calls is a perfect play. It contains theatrical excitement in the thriller-like suspense of the Inspector’s inquiry; it has a moral message and it is very tightly constructed.” Do you agree with this statement. The play “An Inspector Calls” was written by J.B Priestly. The play is set in 1912, in the Edwardian Era, in a fictional town called Brumley, an industrial city in the North Midlands. When Priestly wrote the play in 1945, World War II was just ending.... [tags: An Inspector Calls J.B. Priestley Essays]
2135 words (6.1 pages)
- The Function of the Inspector in J.B. Priestley's An Inspector Calls J.B Priestly was a British journalist, novelist, playwright and essayist. He was born in 1894 in Bradford and died in 1984. The play "An Inspector Calls" is about a family who, each member without knowing, have participated in a young girl's suicide. Inspector Goole makes every member of the family realise that they have played a part in killing the girl. At the beginning of the play the Birlings and Gerald Croft are having an engagement celebration dinner in the evening.... [tags: Papers]
1822 words (5.2 pages)
- The Inspector in An Inspector Calls Examine the function and symbolism of the Inspector in the play – An Inspector Calls, and explain how Priestly makes him dramatically effective Throughout the play ‘An Inspector Calls’, by J.B Priestley, the audience sees the role of a mysterious investigator who interrogates a powerful and upper-middle class family: The Birling's. Priestley uses the role of the Inspector to expose the characters in the play, and to put his own views across about the Birling’s and their conservative beliefs.... [tags: An Inspector Calls Plays J.B. Priestley Essays]
2692 words (7.7 pages)
- The Role and Function of the Inspector in J.B Priestley's An Inspector Calls 'An Inspector Calls' written by J.B Priestley, is set in 1912 and was written in 1945. In the play the Inspector appears to be very plain, dull and straightforward wearing a dark suit, and is rather sinister and suspicious. He, on his appearance, has a huge sense of "massiveness" to him, and has the authority to control and pull out information from his suspects through his persuasive techniques. The Inspector has a sense of fear and trouble about him, which helps create a tense atmosphere.... [tags: Papers]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- Theory Of Interpersonal Communication Between Nurses And Other Health Care Providers Co Relate With Handoff Communication
- Should Pharmaceutical Companies Reduce The Cost Of Prescription Medications
- The Texas State University School Of Music
- Why Do We As People Put So Much Emphasis On Names?
- The Impact Of Electronic Devices On Children
- Social Media And Social Networking