Through the modern era technologies evolved and avant garde was not just a matter of being ahead in you design concepts,. but also in the materials that you use. Modernist designers, in an obsession of moving forward, where always looking to enhance their ideals with new materials. When the modernist bubble burst the post-modern views came forward, embracing styles and techniques of history, architectures where liberated to be able to blend and combine techniques from throughout history. Contemporary architects, in various forms, continue on with the post-modern legacy of taking inspiration from history and seek out to use traditional building methods not only for convenience but also economical, environmental, contextual and symbolic reasons.
One of the key ideas of the modern era was to forge the designs of the future on the corpses of the past, disregarding everything from the last era and moving forward with new ideals and styles. Refining and discarding they shaped, molded and constricted the ideas of design until reaching the pinnacle of minimalism. Creating design with pure aesthetics and reducing an object down to its core fundamental elements. Using the ideas of “less is more” or even “using less for more”, the designs ended up simple and elegant with a focus not in quantit...
... middle of paper ...
...nd Maintenance in Practice. National Heritage Board.
Asquith, L., and Vellinga, M. 2006. Vernacular architecture in the twenty-first century
Taylor and Frances.
Bertens, J. W., and Bertens, H. 1995. The idea of the post-modern: a history. London, Routledge.
Gauzin-Muller, D., and Favet, N. 2002. Sustainable architecture and urbanism: concepts, technologies, examples. Birkhauser.
Gossel, P., and Leuthauser, G. 2001. Architecture in the twentieth century. Taschen.
Meijenfeldt, E. V., and Geluk, M. 2003. Below ground level: creating new spaces for contemporary architecture. Birkhauser
Meyhofer, D. 1994. Contemporary Japanese Architects. Taschen.
Richardson, P. 2004. New sacred architecture. Laurnce King publishing Ltd.
Stergers, R. 2008. Sacred buildings - a design manual. Birkhauser.
Waterson, R. 1997. The Living House. Thames and Hudson.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The controversy of developments and beliefs between northern and southern Japan are known by natives and foreign experts. Researching about their history and talking with a native from off the soils of Japan. The north and the south may share the land but both have very different views (Hiroshi). While the south is continuing to become the new techno-logic age, the north is content with staying with the original and converted traditional life. Developments that differentiate each side are dealing with but not limited to technology.... [tags: traditional morals, beliefs, japan]
1902 words (5.4 pages)
- Man'yōshū and Kokinshū are two of the most important anthologies in Japan. Both of them have had great impacts on traditional Japanese poems, as well as contemporary writings. Although both of Man'yōshū and Kokinshū are extant collections of Japanese poetry, they are very different in various aspects. Differences in their forms, techniques, contents, expressions and aesthetic principles are possibly due to the time of completion. By comparing the aforementioned aspects in Man'yōshū and Kokinshū, distinct characteristics of each of them will be ultimately explained and revealed.... [tags: compare, contrast, japanase poem]
1186 words (3.4 pages)
- When you decide to remodel your bathroom, it can be challenging to decide just which direction to take its decoration. With all of the styles that are available, it can be difficult to choose between decorating with a modern style, a traditional style, or a combination of the two. While the task can seem challenging at times, it will go much smoother if you will keep a few bathroom decoration ideas in mind. One thing to keep in mind as you are redecorating your bathroom is to be sure to stick to a similar style throughout your home.... [tags: Bath Tub, Accessories]
596 words (1.7 pages)
- Because the faucets in your bathroom are an integral part of your home, it is important that you choose Delta bathroom faucets that are not only beautiful but also are extremely durable and long lasting. However, with all of the styles, finishes, and wide array of models available, it may seem to be a challenging task to find the perfect faucet. If you have a little knowledge of what to look for in a high quality faucet, then the task of narrowing it down to just one can be a quite a bit easier.... [tags: Styles, Benefits]
572 words (1.6 pages)
- Andre Dubus, Raymond Carver and Shirley Jackson have changed the landscape of contemporary fiction both culturally and stylistically. All three comment about the affect upon the individual whose life circumstances have caused them to act the way that they do. When reading their short stories you can't help but notice that Dubus and Carver have very similar styles. Their use of the first person narrative allows them to step back from the story and have less of an interpretive influence. Their lack of total control leaves the reader to use her own logic and rational, while dealing only with perceptions.... [tags: essays research papers]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- ... His designs were very loose and built like a piece of clay sculpture, not based on the human figure. Miyake wanted the cloth to take on a life of its own and his interest lay in the feel of the garment on the skin and how the body moved within the space created by the clothing. (H Munsterberg, 1996, p. 67). Researcher Djurdja Bartlett claims that Miyake has drawn from the “restrained traditions of Japanese clothing to deconstruct the traditionally complex fashion of the West, giving new meaning to the clothing he produces (Bartlett,2000, p.... [tags: traditional beauty, fashion, simplicity]
771 words (2.2 pages)
- When it comes to choosing bathroom vanity mirrors, there are many different styles and types to select from. The key to figuring out the best type for your bathroom is to select the style that will best match your bathroom's décor. By doing this, you will help to create an absolutely beautiful scene in your bathroom that is sure to not only enhance the overall elegance and ambiance of your home but will also help to improve its overall worth. Develop a Decorating Plan Before you begin looking at mirrors for your bathroom, develop a decorating plan with ideas of what you would like to see in your finished bathroom.... [tags: Styles, Types, Considerations]
520 words (1.5 pages)
- ... In the 70’s, the main influence of Bruce’s work originated from South America and the government in Chile. Choreographic style Bruce is deemed as a contemporary choreographer although his style of dance encompasses contemporary dance, classical ballet, modern dance and traditional folk dance as seen in Ghost Dances. The combination of all these dance styles gives his choreography universality. During his contemporary dance training, Bruce was also exposed to the Martha Graham technique; consequently Bruce’s choreography incorporates the Martha graham technique.... [tags: choreography styles, influences]
2011 words (5.7 pages)
- When looking to remodel any bathroom, you need to consider the bathroom ceiling lights that you will use in order to fully illuminate your home's bathroom space. These lights are not only useful for lighting the bathroom, but they are also helpful in providing an interior design element in the bathroom that enhances its overall beauty. Therefore, the lights that are used on a bathroom ceiling are one of the most important fixtures to consider when remodeling any bathroom space. Avoid Harsh Bathroom Ceiling Lights When considering bathroom ceiling lights, one of the main things to avoid is lighting that is too harsh.... [tags: Lighting, Styles, Types]
576 words (1.6 pages)
- 1 Introduction In the past, the company performance was measured by asking ‘how much money the company makes?’ To a certain extent, they are right because gross revenue, profitability, return on capital, etc. are the results that companies must bring to survive. Unfortunately, in today business if the management focuses only on the financial health of the company, numerous unwanted consequences may arise. With the dramatic changes of business environment, the traditional measure that focuses on minimising production costs is no longer well-matched (Hall, 1980).... [tags: prism, production companies]
1212 words (3.5 pages)