Essay PreviewMore ↓
In this high-technology generation, information technology (IT) had become very important for every human being in this world. As information technology and information systems is very important to business too, so we have to learn IT. But, to become IT genius, we have to know how to access IT with the help of computer. After this lecture, I learn that computer is not that simple as I thought. I also learn different types of computer’s component which very important to access computer.
This lecture also gives information about what is input., what are the input devices, and what is the importance of input devices. After this lecture about computer hardware, I feel that I have neglected the most important element about understanding the computer hardware and how an input devices functions.
What Is A Computer?
A computer is an electronic device, operating under the control of instructions kept in its own memory. The computer can accept and process data according, then it produce and save the results for future use (Gary B. Shellly 2012). In short, computer is devices that use to process information. In the help of computer, data or raw fact (input) can be transform into useful information (output).
A computer contains hardware and software. These two components is very important to functioning a computer. Basically, hardware refers to the electronic and mechanical components of computer. Software which also refers as program uses to operate computer. Let’s put our focus on the computer hardware.
Like what I say just now, hardware is the electronic and mechanical components of computer. Without the hardware, computer cannot function well. Some example of these components is input device, output devices, storage device, communication devices and a system unit (Gary B. Shellly 2012). Hardware is important for processing data in computer.
What Is Input?
Input is any data and instructions entered into the memory of a computer (Gary B. Shellly 2012).
An input device is hardware component that allows you to enter data and instructions into a computer (Gary B. Shellly 2012). Input device is a peripheral device. Peripheral devices mean that the components are outside the main computer system unit (Kenneth C. Laudon 2009). Some examples of input device are keyboard, computer mouse, scanner etc.
Keyboard is an input device. It contains keys users press to enter data and instruction into the computer (Gary B.
How to Cite this Page
"Understanding Computer Hardware and How Input Devices Work." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Jul 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction I do not know much what an input device is even I have been using computer for many years. I thought that an input device is just a component inside the computer. I also did not know the role of input device play. I am among those people who do not care much about the component inside the computer. Now as I reflect, seems like I have ignored the importance of an input device. What is input. Input is really important for the computer. Through this device, users are allows to enter data or instructions into a computer.... [tags: components, keyboard, mouse, printers]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- Input Devices An input device is a device that provide the computer input, for example a keyboard, without the keyboard you would not be able to type words or use the different shortcuts a keyboard provides and without a mouse you would not be able to click on anything to get you anywhere, so a computer without input devices would be mostly useless. There are many input devices to use, there is, microphones, scanners, webcams, etc. all these devices send information to the computer, categorizing them as input devices.... [tags: keyboard, mouse, smartboard]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- Computer and Internet Technology Computer Hardware A report for Geoff Wingfield By Joseph Key 9th December 2014 Contents 1.0 Introduction 3 2.0 Why Copper Tracks (Busses) Are Ultimately Limited In How Much Data Can Be Delivered By Them Per Second 3 2.1 Why Devices Such As Microprocessors Get Hot And Why The Heat Increases With Higher Clock Rates 3 2.2 Cost Of A PC Running 3 3.0 Describe How The Latest Technology Is Used To Optimise Its Operation For Speed 4 4.0 Cost Of Building A New PC Versus Buying A New Ready Built PC 4 5.0 Computer Benchmarking 4 6.0 How The Telephone System And The Internet Infrastructure Collectively Form The Basis Of The World Wide Web 4 7.0 Conclusion... [tags: Personal computer, Computer]
2812 words (8 pages)
- Computers are electrical devices used to store and process data which is usually embedded in binary code. According to Businessdictionary Computer Science is the “study of computing, programming, and computation in correspondence with computer systems” (1). Moreover Computer Science is basically taking the Computer and practically exploring the ins and outs of how a computer functions using both its hardware and software . With the title Computer Science comes an array of positions or job titles that are all essential to simplify everyday tasks and eliminate tedious repetitive task.... [tags: Computer, Programming language]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- ‘’ I think it’s fair to say that personal computers have become the most empowering tool we’ve ever created. They are tools of communication, they’re tools of creativity and they can be shaped by the users.” As the richest man in the world and acting as the inventor of Microsoft that contributes as the most important element in computer , Bill Gates has admitted that computer is acting as the most influenced technology in human’s life. For decades, the world has discovered a lot of technologies anywhere in the globe, the Western, Egyptian, European, and also the Asian.... [tags: tools, communication, users]
1387 words (4 pages)
- Microcomputers: (Notebook, Laptop, Desktop and Tablet PC) Microcomputers are the smallest systems in the market. The size range is from calculator to desktop size. Its CPU is microprocessor. It also known as PC, their aim is to satisfy the needs of public and are single-user computers. They are used for common applications such as gaming, social networking, and internet research. Justify the performance, limitations Justify why this type is suitable to a particular environment Desktop: Desktop wasn’t designed to be portable.... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Minicomputer]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- The Components of a Computer and Information Processing System In today’s world, computers are everywhere. People use them in a wide range of ways in every aspect of life whether it is interacting with friends, cooking a meal, or transferring funds from one account to another. However, many people do not think about the many aspects of computing and the various devices and software that are part of the information process. Basics of the Computer A computer is a device that can be programmed to perform a specific operation.... [tags: Computer Science]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to explain the importance of accurate data input, the quality of output, and the use of different storage devices. This paper will shed light on which device is the best to use and when to use it for data storage. Another element to be discussed is the role of RAM, of clock speed, of a hard disk, of a CD ROM, and of a floppy disk and how each device determines computer speed. Through examination and exploration of each area one will achieve a better understanding of the importance of data input, data output, the advantages/disadvantage of storage options, and computer components.... [tags: Data Computers Entry]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Input Data is factual information and it needs to be accurately captured in order to be processed. There are many methods to input data and each situation warrants a different method. There can be several different ways to input the information and it can be done in an automatic fashion, as with a computer, or it can be done manually, as with a human writing the information down. For instance, printed questionnaires would best use a special scanning device called an optical data reader that uses optical mark recognition (OMR); when people complete the OMR form using pencils to fill in boxes on OMR paper an optical mark reader (OMR) can convert the pencil marks into digital data.... [tags: Technology Computer Components]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- Data Input Methods Optical data readers The best data input method for printed questionnaires would be Optical Data Readers. Optical Data Readers are a special type of scanning device to be used on documents. Optical Data Readers fall under two categories, optical mark recognition (OMR) and optical character recognition (OCR) (Stair, R., Reynolds, G., 2004). Printed questionnaires which, for instance, can be used for surveying groups of people regarding a particular subject can utilize OMR through the utilization of OMR paper refer to as "mark sense form".... [tags: Database Data]
1694 words (4.8 pages)
- Linear Prediction Analysis and Spectrographic Depiction
- Collaboration between School Leaders Participating Members in Education
- Mainstream International Relations Has Excluded Multiplicity of Voices and Issues
- Characteristics of Reactive Powder Concrete
- Should there Be Regulations on Social Media Privacy for Juveniles
Mouse is an input device. Computer mouse is handheld device with point-and-click capabilities that is usually connected to the computer by a cable. The computer user can move the mouse, or mouse pointer around on a desktop to control the cursor’s position on a computer display screen, pushing a button to select a command (Kenneth C. Laudon 2009). The mouse is the most widely used pointing device on desktop computers. There are various shape, size and type of mouse. For example, optical mouse or more often known as laser mouse which uses devices that emit and sense light to detect the mouse’s movement. Optical mouse is more expensive that the former. Many mouse connects to computer with cable that attaches to USB port on the system unit. Nowadays, many mouse transmits data without connecting to computer via cable. This type of mouse is known as wireless mouse. Most people uses wireless mouse because it frees up desk space and eliminates the clutter of a cord (Gary B. Shellly 2012). Mouse got many functions. The main operation is “point and click”. Move the mouse pointer to the item of choice then press and release the left mouse button. If you press and release the right mouse button it usually will display a shortcut menu, this is right-click operation. Double click is quickly press and release the left mouse button twice at the same item. Most of the mouse have wheel. You can rotate the wheel forward or backward to scroll vertically up or down. You can also drag item by hold down the left mouse button and move the item to the location you want, finally release the left mouse button. These are some basic operation of mouse. It is simple to use the mouse as input device (Gary B. Shellly 2012).
Speech input has now become technologically and economically feasible for a variety of applications. Voice input is the process of entering input by speaking into a microphone (Gary B. Shellly 2012). Voice input devices that convert spoken words into digital form for processing by the computer (Kenneth C. Laudon 2009).Devices that commonly involves in voice input is microphone. There is various type of microphone. Some external microphones have a cable that attaches to a port on the sound card of the computer. One of the main functions of the voice input is to enables users to speak to other users over the Internet. Voice recognition which also called speech recognition, is the computer’s capability of distinguishing spoken words. Voice input is part of a larger category of input called audio input. Audio input is the process of entering any sound into the computer such as speech, music and sound effects. Sound card is vital for enter high quality sound into a personal computer. Other devices that use to input sound is microphone, tape players, CD players and others (Gary B. Shellly 2012). Speech Recognition has many functions. Speech recognition systems digitize, analyze, and classify your speech and its sound patterns. Speech recognition devices in work situations allow operators to perform data entry without using their hands to key in data or instructions and to provide faster and more accurate input. For example, airlines and parcel delivery companies use them for voice-directed sorting of baggage and parcels. Speech recognition can also help you operate your computer’s operating systems and software packages through voice input of data and commands. For example, such software can be voice-enabled so you can send e-mail and surf the World Wide Web. (James A. O'Brien 2011).
Other Input Devices
There are also others input devices. For example are the touch screen, pen-based input, scanner and others. Some brief description of these input are as below. Touch screen is device that allows users to enter limited amounts of data by touching the surface of a sensitized video display monitor with a finger or a pointer. Often found in information kiosks in retail stores, restaurants, and shopping malls. Besides, pen-based input is handwriting-recognition devices, such as pen-based tablets, notebooks, and notepads, that convert the motion made by an electronic stylus pressing on a touch-sensitive tablet screen into digital form. Digital scanner or scanner is device that translates images, such as pictures or documents, into digital form; essential component of image-processing systems. Another input device is the sensors. Sensors is devices that collect data directly from the environment for input into a computer system. For example, today’s farmers can use sensors to monitor the moisture of the soil in their fields to help them with irrigation (Kenneth C. Laudon 2009).
Conclusion and Personal Views
What I have learned from the lecture session and the result of my research of the topic is that there are many computer hardware. Among these hardware there is also major technologies for input. And there is a lot’s of input technologies or input devices. These devices work together among each other and with computer to enter data to the computer. Some examples for input devices are keyboard, mouse and microphone. Various input devices have their own function too. I had learnt more about the computer hardware and the input devices after the lecture class. Before attending this class, I didn’t know anything about which of the devices is input devices and I also didn’t know what is the in depth usage of these devices. Looking back, I just use keyboard for typing essay while ignoring the other keys such as the page up and page down keys. Now, I know how to scroll my page simpler. Besides, I know how to drag item and use double-click via computer mouse. Times flies, technology improves. Nowadays, people also use high technology devices such as smart phone, Ipad, etc. to enter or input their data. After learning the knowledge about these devices, it influenced me a lot in my daily life. I know how to scroll my screen with the use of mouse wheel. Besides, I also know how to search information via voice recognition. I can access and search material or information more faster, easier than before.
In conclusion, I thanks to my lecturer for teaching me so much useful knowledge.
(Word Count : 1757 words)
Gary B. Shellly, Misty E. Vermaat. Discovering Computer Complete. United States of America: Course Technology, 2012.
James A. O'Brien, George M. Marakas. Management Information System 10th edition. McGraw-Hill/Irwin, 2011.
Kenneth C. Laudon, Jane P. Laudon. Essentials of Management Information Systems Eighth Edition. United States of America: Pearson Education, Inc, 2009.